First Screenshots of Unreal Engine 4

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
Aren't you guys perhaps expecting too much?
These days, with the enough samples game renderers can approach feature film quality visuals -- minus the uber high poly content, ofcourse.

Brute force will only get you so far. And fact is the stuff we're doing now such as depth of field and motion blur is very hard to do 'correctly' in hardware rasterizing. The other thing is using breaktrough algorithms, of which a bunch were developed over the past ten years.

Combine that with the increase of horsepower and you'll be getting better image quality, but don't expect the exponential increases in lighting and geometry fidelity we've witnessed in this decade.

One thing I'm crossing my fingers for is complex global illumination such as this http://youtu.be/fAsg_xNzhcQ
and combine that with full scene tesselation and high quality antialiasing.

Last edited:

moonflyer

Jun 2, 2003
Shanghai,China
lichong.blogbus.com
I have faith in UE4. I am sure the demo will be amazing when play in realtime, although the screenshots looks not that awesome.
And I am really looking forword to know how good the realtime lighting system will be, and the new way to build a map without baking stuff for it. And the Kismet V2.

raziel31

Nov 25, 2003
South F.
Visit site
Last edited:

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
On a sidenote, these screenshots would be 100 times more interesting if they actually had somewhat of a composition or decent framing.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
And the next Xbox won't have a good enough GPU to run this. I wonder if they'll have a scaled version for the next Xbox and Playstation Orbis.

It even says that Epic is lobbying for the consoles to be more powerful. I honestly think that the death of consoles is coming soon because its really hard for developers (besides Nintendo) to recoup the massive development costs. We'll see though. I also bet that most current spec PCs can run this pretty well. The next set of consoles is going to be underpowered compared to PCs out of the gate, unlike the last generation of consoles, which were better than PCs for a little while.

Last edited:

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
A console that is powerful enough to be able to run UE4 wouldn't necessarily be a good thing. Guess what all that power is going to detriment? The price. Not a lot of people bought the PS3 when it came out because it was simply too expensive. We might be looking at a similar situation if Cliffy B gets what he wants.

Last edited:

Bleuchamp

Jun 12, 2002
Sweden
Visit site
I rather see them release extremely powerful consoles at a high price than a mediocre console at a price that everyone can afford at launch.

Let's say that they release something that is 5 times as powerful as the consoles of today.
Congratulations! You can now play BF3 at 1080p and get 60fps. Come back in another 7 years and we'll see what we have for ya.

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
And you end up with a piece of very powerful hardware which has pretty much no games for it.

On the flipside there's the Wii, cheap and specs identical to the Gamecube, yet I sold mine after 2 years of waiting for more of the good stuff to show up.
I think Wii suffered because devs couldn't port their more demanding XB360 or PS3 games to it. I'm sure it sold like hotcakes, but I doubt it did as well in game sales.

The 360 was best this generation I think, plenty of power and easy to develop for, unlike the CELL. Development should be similar to the PC but with more low level access and none of the wild hardware variation. I'm sure there's quite a pricetag to cross platform development. The consoles that can consolidate development friendly architecture and powerful yet budget friendly hardware are the ones that are going to be best of in the long run I think.

Last edited:

Sarevok

Jun 4, 2002
Kuwait
Seriously you guys need to stop with this high and mighty act. Most of you here purposely don't like anything by unreal or act unimpressed with anything they release. I'm assuming you guys are mad at epic or something, but stop with the fake "omgepicsucksunimpressed" douche bag act and be real with yourselves. If you guys really hate epic that much then why the hell are you guys even here anymore?! It's a great looking shot!

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
The 360 was best this generation I think, plenty of power and easy to develop for, unlike the CELL. Development should be similar to the PC but with more low level access and none of the wild hardware variation. I'm sure there's quite a pricetag to cross platform development. The consoles that can consolidate development friendly architecture and powerful yet budget friendly hardware are the ones that are going to be best of in the long run I think.

While I don't disagree that the 360 had the most expansive library, I'm looking at it in a slightly different and personal way. A huge majority of the 360 games made their way to the PC. As a result, I don't feel like I missed out on much by not having one. On the other hand, my family also owns a Wii and there are a good dozen or so must-have games that are on no other platform. I admit I don't play it much, but when I do it always offers a unique experience. My PC/Wii combo pretty much allows me to play the top games in the era.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
A console that is powerful enough to be able to run UE4 wouldn't necessarily be a good thing. Guess what all that power is going to detriment? The price. Not a lot of people bought the PS3 when it came out because it was simply too expensive. We might be looking at a similar situation if Cliffy B gets what he wants.

Exactly my point. Microsoft and Sony don't want to spend that much money on new consoles when the profits from them are sub par at best. Nintendo doesn't either, the specs of the Wii U have been estimated from being equal to an Xbox 360 to slightly better, so its certainly not going to wow anyone with its hardware.

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
A scaled down f2p UT4 with DM/TDM/CTF to showcase the engine would be nice.
No need for vehicles since the f2p PS2 will own in that area.
Ship with Very few characters and maps.

Open it up completely to UDK so maps can be made by the community.
If people complain about the lack of characters just open a shop where they can buy more of them.

Id actually be happy with this.
Edit: and, id happily pay the same price as for that Nexuiz game too for that matter.

Last edited:

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Open it up completely to UDK so maps can be made by the community.
If people complain about the lack of characters just open a shop where they can buy more of them.

Just maps? IMAO, any UT needs to have full support for all community created MAPS, MODS, AND MUTATORS as the other UT's have or I'm not even going to look at it.

Last edited: