Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
But fair play lads, spoiler tags for in depth stuff in future.
Got a pretty sweet deal on The Avengers though, I get sent discount vouchers through the mail and normally I just bin them but I noticed quite a few for my local cinema and KFC.
Half price for both on a Sunday and I was like, what the hell, let's do this, so off we went and sure enough, we showed them our vouchers and paid £3:50 each - not bad - normally £7:60 each.
Finished movie and swanned over to the KFC where we got a bargain bucket, normally £10:99 & got that for £5:00 - result!

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Avengers 6/10

Captain Scarlet’s Skybase.

Yes, that was my immediate thought as well. :) (and I mostly agree with the rest of what you wrote).

We saw this in 3D and I don't know why we bothered (other than the 2D showing being on 40 minutes before we could get to the cinema). 3D added very little to the experience other than a higher ticket price.

I much preferred Captain America to this (and I think it worth noting that Chris Evans continued to impress in the role.)

If (as is the case for me) you are unfamiliar with the Marvel backstory and villains then the script's approach of "just have a big bad and don't worry about the details" was somewhat annoying.

When all is said and done, this was still an enjoyable popcorn movie and I suppose some credit is due for getting "mewling quim" past the censors. :)

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
30 hours! What did you fly in? A rolled up carpet thrown from a catapult?

(I've flown from the UK to Kuala Lumpur in less than 1/3rd that time)

Heh heh... Well I just googled "direct flights from london to Kuala Lumpur" and it came to a 12hr25min flight which would equal a 24hr50min round trip. So significanlty more than "less than 1/3rd of the time".
It's actually almost 3/4 the time that I just guessed at through lack of interest.

I actually had a connecting flight in Dubai and I incorrectly added the "wait time" into my flight time because I didn't care... It was actually about 22 hours of in-flight entertainment I suppose.

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Heh heh... Well I just googled "direct flights from london to Kuala Lumpur" and it came to a 12hr25min flight which would equal a 24hr50min round trip. So significanlty more than "less than 1/3rd of the time".
It's actually almost 3/4 the time that I just guessed at through lack of interest.

I actually had a connecting flight in Dubai and I incorrectly added the "wait time" into my flight time because I didn't care... It was actually about 22 hours of in-flight entertainment I suppose.

My outgoing flight was about 9 hours, but my return flight was about 15 (two-three extra hours in the air thanks to really bad weather / turbulence). My total flight time should have been about 22 hours. We had no in flight entertainment, but then my flight *was* about £450 return...

I had assumed you meant one-way. 30 hours would have been nuts.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
My outgoing flight was about 9 hours, but my return flight was about 15 (two-three extra hours in the air thanks to really bad weather / turbulence). My total flight time should have been about 22 hours. We had no in flight entertainment, but then my flight *was* about £450 return...

I had assumed you meant one-way. 30 hours would have been nuts.

Certainly, doesn't even take that long to go to Australia... though it can be close.
I went for work so business-class all the way to boot.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Best part of Avengers:
When Loki tries to pull his "You are beneath me!" crap on Hulk and Hulk just grabs him by the ankles to repeatedly slam Loki into the floor
Unfortunately the entire facking theater busted out laughing at that point so I couldn't hear a damn thing

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
I went to see Avengers with low expectation, since the only Marvel film I truly enjoyed was the first Iron Man. So I thought this was gonna be some ridiculous Hollywood special effects film.

And it was.

But at the same time the characters that are carrying the film are clearly all aware of this, and there's plenty of witty jokes being tossed around, and a good deal of self-relativism without becoming corny. The humorous parts that are interwoven with the action are great and perfectly paced in most cases.
So I was happily surprised that while it was exactly what I was expecting, it also elevated itself beyond the typical canvas woven by previous Marvel flicks.

Acting was great, costume design was above average, framing of shots was great, excessive use of some of the best CG I've seen to date. Dirt sticks to the lens, lots of debris flying around, first person views, extremely long shots and plenty of panoramic views of structures being demolished in real time. There's a great flow of the camera through the scenes, and the pacing doesn't become dull unlike a lot of these kind of films (Transformers, Diehard...).

About the 3D I can only give my personal experience, and I've noticed the experience tends to vary greatly in different theaters. Especially later in the film, when the action becomes greatly accelerated and spectacle ramps up to unseen degrees, the 3D really adds a lot to the experience. I'm usually not a fan of 3D, but this film was really built with it in mind, and I think you'dd not get the full experience without it.

Despite my early reservations I think this movie delivered in all the areas I never expected it to, and in many ways it's drawing the superhero action flick to it's logical conclusion.

7/10

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
The Avengers-7/10

I managed to stay out of this thread until I saw the film.:D

I've been waiting for this film to come out since Iron Man 2.........
.......knowing that Thor was a bit of a teaser and totally necessary to set up the story in this film.

I wasn't disappointed. After growing up with these characters it was a satisfying film adventure.

There is a great comic book feel to the scripting with lots of snappy dialogue, funny one-liners and quite a few great visual gags.

Black Sabbath t-shirts and Stan Lee appearing in news reel footage got some laughs. Even the Hulk gets in on the act which is totally in character with his roots in the comics.

The production values, both sound and vision, are superb. The 3D is some of the best I have seen.

They kept things reasonably flat but then cut loose with the 3D in the action scenes, fights and battles; that really brought them to life in a huge way.

Iron Man and Stark get better with every film and Mark Ruffalo was a perfect choice as Bruce Banner. I really just don't get Samuel L. Jackson as Fury but it is what it is.

I enjoyed this immensely and I hope they do a sequel; especially if it looks the goods like this flick did.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Borgen (TV Series 1) 8/10

Yet more gripping TV drama from Denmark.

It could be described as a Danish "West Wing" but that is unfair.

The scale is smaller (inevitably) but the politics are more intense and the drama much more personal. To some extent, it highlights the weaknesses of "West Wing". Watching Borgen, it becomes apparent that many of "West Wing"'s characters are fixed and do not grow or change ("West Wing" is still much funnier). Characters do change (or, at least, become more fully revealed) in Borgen.

Borgen is particularly strong in dealing with the tension between private and public life and the competing demands those spheres. We see the price that must be paid for political power in a way that we never did with character of Bartlett (I write that even though his daughter got kidnapped at one point!)

Prime Minister Nyborg does follow the arc of tragic hero, stepping from good intentions to...well, watch for yourself.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
The Avengers - 8/10

A terrific comic book film. Maybe not as spectacular as the hype made it up to be, but still a super fun ride.

Some moments of comical genius in there.

Best part was when Loki was like "You can't treat me this way, I AM A GOD!!" Followed by the hulk smashing him to the floor like a play toy. :lol:

Best shot by far for me:

During the battle of Manhattan there is one long and continuous shot where the camera pans between all of the super heroes kicking ass. It was just a terrifically executed shot. Good job Whedon!

I also got Independence Day vibes towards the end. I was just waiting for Stark to say "IN THE WORDS OF MY GENERATION, UPPP YOURRRRSSSS". :D

Last edited:

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Best part of Avengers:
When Loki tries to pull his "You are beneath me!" crap on Hulk and Hulk just grabs him by the ankles to repeatedly slam Loki into the floor
Unfortunately the entire facking theater busted out laughing at that point so I couldn't hear a damn thing

Just realized you made the same observation. :tup:

If you missed it, the Hulk said "puny god" after smashing him to the floor.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
727.jpg

Tux Android

Voice Pack Penguin
May 19, 2011
Philippines
Definitely, Maybe (2008)
Pretty good romantic comedy movie; I doesn't sound hurt a bit. The story about William Hayes (played by Ryan Reynolds) had tried a secret to explain his divorce and past relationships to his 11-year-old daughter Maya Hayes (played by Abigail Breslin). Isla Fisher, Rachel Weisz and Elizabeth Banks are very tasteful acting for the advice and the script is not that bad. :)
Grade: B+

Last edited: