Epic Games Announces: Fortnite

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
Well, say what you will about Fortnite, I looked at comments and forumthreads about it, on other sites...
and they are mostly positive, apparently people would want nothing more than a minecraft/zombieshooter hybrid.

Also keep in mind that Epic has 3 to 4 development teams, Fortnite is just one of em.

[NBK]Rattman

Goo God
Feb 22, 2005
nbkillas.com
The problem with UT3 in my clan was the hardware that was required to run it well was obscene at the time and most of the clan was waiting to see how the game was before spending all that cash on it.

THEN......The beta was released and it was a complete pile of trash and so buggy that it turned everyone off to the point that lots of them decided to just skip the upgrade and wait for the next big thing.

I personally spent 1600.00 on my pc just for that game...I was pretty upset when I realized that I really didn't need to spend all that money on a new pc. Now I was stuck with a 1600.00 UT2k4 machine!

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
My main gripe with UT3 was that I could never get the mouse to feel as smooth as it was in 2k4
Ingame tweaks, INI tweaks, etc, etc and it never felt right. It felt like the signal between mouse and game was going through a pool of virtual sludge

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
My point is:

Fortnite: Interesting trailer but is it going to be yet another tower defense game mechanic? Tower defense is already old. Everyone is doing it now.

So bleeping what ?
Deathmatch is practically prehistoric in its origins, yet it continues to be the basic gametype that any multi player game has to support ..

CTF and Domination-style gametypes are equally ancient and both are considered to be 'essential' for modern multi-player.

What is so bad about adding a 4th variant to the mix of potentially fun gametypes to play ?

//
And please. Can we drop the UT3 was buggy and crap bovine excrement ?
UT didn't fail because it was too buggy.
It failed because no one was interested in playing an ancient and overrated gametype in an age that was dominated by 'realistic' fps games.
That made the few remaining fanboys focus on minor bugs as if they were game breaking.

And considering that UT started as a mere expansion pack for Unreal!
I wouldn't dismiss the notion that Fortnite couldn't be a triple A full price title.
We simply have too little information to comment on the kind of direction this title will take.
Heck ... Epic probably doesn't know, because we would have seen more than a mere pre-rendered trailer by now.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
And please. Can we drop the UT3 was buggy and crap bovine excrement ?
UT didn't fail because it was too buggy.
It failed because no one was interested in playing an ancient and overrated gametype in an age that was dominated by 'realistic' fps games.
That made the few remaining fanboys focus on minor bugs as if they were game breaking.
I'm no fan of realism games, I really like UT3. But I'm not deluded into thinking it didn't (and doesn't still) have game breaking flaws. It absolutely does, and it had even worse game breaking flaws than it does today when it launched.

I don't know that this is the sole reason the game failed overall, sure people weren't interested in the game. But what it boils down to is that the multiplayer integration was weak compared to what was coming out at the time, it was difficult to get into a game, and it had tons of bugs. None of those three things make people take a second look, even if the game is under $10.

Bgood

Oct 30, 2010
Still no news on whether this game is the, “It's nice to target the PC as a primary platform again” game Mike Capps was referring to? Hope not in a way, because of the cel -shaded graphics style.
------------------------
You could compare UT3 to Vista - the next evolution of anything needs to be not just better but far better than the proceeding one , unfortunately for UT3, in every area other than the graphics it wasn't.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The graphics look like they could be fine. Casual style does not mean crappy game.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It does however suggest a 'late to the party Team Fortress 2' model for the game. In which case it's probably going to perform badly.
I dunno, I need to be sold more on the concept, I think. I'm not going to discount the fact that it could be really fun just based on the graphics. There was an interview with Tim Sweeney a few days ago where he said the style wasn't like Gears of War for sure, but it still looks really excellent with all the effects and lighting and everything. I just need to see more.

Gambit84

Oct 17, 2004
We need to see a gameplay video before we decide if it sucks or not.
Who's to say if they are even going to use that visual style?

EDIT: I will pay attention to this game as I've become a recent fan of Epic China's game, Fat Princess(no homo). FP gives a nice example as to what epic is capable of on a smaller budget. It'd be nice to see if competitive team modes were introduced alongside a wave survival game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Severin

Feb 8, 2008
We need to see a gameplay video before we decide if it sucks or not.
Who's to say if they are even going to use that visual style?

Agreed, Currently its like trying to judge a game based on the box art... pointless.

Wait until there is some footage of the actual game or a demo.