Checking in...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GalZohar

Feb 27, 2008
Ramat Hasharon, Israel
I've also always wanted to be the guy that makes the stuff the right way rather than the one that complains about how things are done wrong. But it's not easy to get into it! So far all I've done was creating Arma 2 missions to try use the game's realism to the max, as after all, currently it's the game with the highest realism available, especially if you're playing it with ACE (and ACRE).

I'll probably apply for a game tester at Blizzard, since it seems to be the only money-making company that isn't making "crap" games (when taking more than just "it looks cool!" into consideration when judging the games' quality), at least when I'm closer to finishing my M.A in physics (god this work gets stuck due to other people's mistakes way too often, or else I would've probably been done already). Chances to get in are probably low even though I can live up to their requirements, and even if I do get hired, getting out of QA into something more meaningful is probably not easy at all. But I consider myself talented enough to at least give it a try sooner or later.

Regardless of what I do, I'll always be on the lookout for that great realistic game that makes you feel like a real soldier, not like all the arcade/holywood stuff we see getting released every few months, and not somewhat half-assed like the Arma series (though again it's funny how awesome Arma is for a half-assed game). Until one is released, there's always Arma, Starcraft 2, and when it's released then Diablo 3...

Beppo

Infiltration Lead-Programmer
Jul 29, 1999
Aachen, Germany
infiltration.sentrystudios.net
BF3 will be fast, yes. But I actually had some very fun and slower games during the beta too. I hope for the "hardcore" mode being slower if they will actually have something like this implemented. Anyway, it will be a lot of fun to do some things more tactical even with a lot of folks rushing around you. It will not give you the highest scores, but you will end up in the upper half every time... and who cares about scores ;)
And the sounds are very cool... the supersonic "clicks" of the shots flying by, weapon sounds in general etc. ... fits pretty good and gets a perfect realism touch this way too.

RO2... well, the developer E3 interview videos were a laugh. All those woohoo features they obviously haven't developed by themselves fully and haven't managed to do right ;). Sure, some good aspects, but they have not gone pretty far after turning the commercial route. Their team had potential for sure but somehow they do not have the guts to go straight.

But as long as the hilarious CoD series makes so much money it will be hard to get a publisher to try something new.

GalZohar

Feb 27, 2008
Ramat Hasharon, Israel
For me it's not so much about the speed, but the total lack of realism on too many important aspects (movement, weapon handling, ballistics). Of course having realistic speed to the general gameplay is a part of it but far from the whole picture and far from the most important thing. I'd rather play a TDM in a 100mX100m map with realistic game mechanics, than play a long tactical mission with battlefield game mechanics.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Played some RO2 and I have to say it's pretty good. Visually flawless and has good features, like if you crouch and move close to a window, keep holding the forward key will make you raise a little to look over the edge while the gun is held sideways, than you can aim the gun which will be moved from sideways to be put over the edge and than you can zoom slightly in for better range focus. Guns aren't that bad.
Only critique sofar is the somewhat fast paced movement, which you could see from the videos already. In the open it is not a problem, because if you don't pay attention you'll be shot, but in CQB it becomes somewhat arcady.

Not my dream game, but could be fun for a realism player.

zeep

:(
Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
Exactly Psych. If we run a mutator on a server that slows down movement a bit, to begin with, it will be a good fun realism game already. Next up better squad management / spawning.

Recently i've been playing countdown where you have only 1 life. I like it too.

Looking forward playing with you hehe

andy_kosela

Jul 31, 2011
I still think the best realism game we can currently play online on a public server is America's Army 3 -- Bridge map. I have never seen in *any* other game so much tactical element involved amongst people that for the most part do not know each other.

Of course America's Army has its flaws (like completely unrealistic breath control system that is violating US Army Field Manuals), but overall the whole mechanics is much more solid than Battlefield 3 which is basically just another CS clone -- that is "run and gun" mentality.

Bridge map in AA3 make you really think before you move, you constantly need to be in cover or you can risk your life at any moment and that means waiting for the whole round to resurrect -- there is no respawns or anything similar.

I would love to see AA's Bridge map with Infiltration 2.9 mechanics.

Last edited:

zeep

Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
AA is horrible. Granted it has tactical aspects but then again so has CS and Frogger. I've tried to get into it after every major update but it's no use. ;)

GalZohar

Feb 27, 2008
Ramat Hasharon, Israel
AA3 is much more realistic than most games out there. It's definitely not top of the line, though. Is it actually playable now? I remember ditching it because it simply wouldn't work properly even a very long time after its initial release.

I haven't actually played RO2, but it seems like at least in AA3 you don't feel as much of a "ninja". But RO2 seems to have a lot of realistic features that really add to the game, if only they would actually make sure the core movement and shooting were realistic I might have actually bought it...

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Oh man, I really had great games with Americas Army 1 and 2 The bridge map was indeed great, loved the afghanistan mission (reminded me of the Rainbow Six desert missions). That warehouse map I played to death. Gotta try AA3.

andy_kosela

Jul 31, 2011
In my humble opinion they do not degenerated with developing AA3 as for example we have seen with the Rainbow Six series.

AA3 is built on a solid foundation of previous versions and they managed to somewhat even make it better with full 3d iron sights and elimination of jumping. The visuals are built on Unreal 3, so they are not that bad either. Of course I miss free aim we know from Arma and Infiltration, but Arma 2 is much less detailed when it comes to infantry simulation, e.g. even the whole reloading process is flawed. In AA3 you see the proper way of reloading actively used in the mission critical situations with using forward assist knob and proper animations. The detail level reminds me very much of INF.

GalZohar --> I play the Bridge map from time to time and do not see any problems. I think the patches removed most of them.

When it comes to RO2 I bought it and I have to say this is not a bad game when it comes to realism, but first WW2 is definetly not my cup of tea, second big maps actually do not make it fun to play online on public servers (These are the same issues i can raise about playing on public servers in Arma 2 and BF3). Even if there are some elements of realism there, most of the players still just "run and gun" and given the somewhat fast pace of this game it reminds me of the Battlefield series.

Believe me, the experience of playing Bridge map in AA is very unique. The construction of this map really forces you to a more slow paced gameplay in general.

The real weak point about AA is that you can't mod it though.

Still nothing can touch Infiltration. I actually researched the topic very deeply followed by the now famous article by Dslyecxi and even commercial simulator VBS2 is so much behind INF when it comes to CQB.

If Beppo would play it right he would forget about video games for teens, gather investors and enter the real deal - that is the commercial military simulation market that is blossoming right now. US Army just dumped 50M on a commercial simulation solution based on CryEngine 3. My peoples from VBS2 tell me it's behind their product, so I suppose it's also very weak compared to the core mechanics of INF when it comes to CQB simulation.

I still hope INF will resurrect in some form in the future...

Last edited:

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
Nice to see people always alive.

Personnally, i'm always modding Operation Flashpoint (always that same game from 2001, i'm so backward in gaming), very slowly though as motivation nowadays is difficult to get running with the usual irl time and other problems.

When it comes to actually playing games, i'm mostly flying in Flightgear, orbiting in Orbiter and from time to time wasting my time even more unproductively in some doomrl/crawl/tome4/etc.. roguelikes while browsing the internet.

But nowadays, most of my "free" time is spent modelling in Blender for various projects, game related or not, and when relaxing out of it, simply sculpting in Sculptris.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
@Dank: I play Infiltration, sometimes. I used to play Ghost Recon not long ago and lot's of Raven Shield earlier this year. I bought Red Orchestra 2 but am bored by it's gameplay and game modes, not cool.
I think I'm gonna replay Thief and Project I.G.I.

@Beppo:
Let's be honest, Infiltration 3 isn't going to happen (any time soon) and finding employment in a game company that develops a true realistic tactical game is even more unlikely than a new Infiltration. What if you give Ground Branch another chance? I know how uneffective the current situation of that project is, but is there really anything better out there, or lets say anything better suited? Maybe you should give it another thought.

If Blackfoot Studios should succeed to establish itself as a serious game developing company (I mean with paid employees, not free contributors or hired freelancers), than there you get your dream to work for a company developing realistic tactical games. It may seem unlikely at the moment, but I think this could be your (probably single) option, if that's what you want.

Or, you just form a german based company for yourself, but you know the difficulties to come, you will have to struggle with the same problems as John did and still does. At the first place though, you need money for this.

Ah well, there is never an easy solution.

zeep

Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
@Dank: I play Infiltration, sometimes. I used to play Ghost Recon not long ago and lot's of Raven Shield earlier this year. I bought Red Orchestra 2 but am bored by it's gameplay and game modes, not cool.
I think I'm gonna replay Thief and Project I.G.I.

@Beppo:
Let's be honest, Infiltration 3 isn't going to happen (any time soon) and finding employment in a game company that develops a true realistic tactical game is even more unlikely than a new Infiltration. What if you give Ground Branch another chance? I know how uneffective the current situation of that project is, but is there really anything better out there, or lets say anything better suited? Maybe you should give it another thought.

If Blackfoot Studios should succeed to establish itself as a serious game developing company (I mean with paid employees, not free contributors or hired freelancers), than there you get your dream to work for a company developing realistic tactical games. It may seem unlikely at the moment, but I think this could be your (probably single) option, if that's what you want.

Or, you just form a german based company for yourself, but you know the difficulties to come, you will have to struggle with the same problems as John did and still does. At the first place though, you need money for this.

Coincidence! Was thinking of playing Thief2 and 3 too, but after looking at a bunch of gameplay video's on youtube i felt like i had enough of it already.

Agreed with everything @Beppo. I wish you'd visit us around here more often Beppo. As much as 'often' goes around these parts anyway hehe.

Legend<P>

Feb 4, 2008
I did update server - please test and email me at martin@bilgrav.dk
but I can not seem to get masterserver working, hence I cant see the server in game list or radar ??

any ideas às why this is ?

I can not believe that servers are empty forum has quite a visit. A few days ago I saw more than 70 people at once and that was not the first time. Now, the question of whether the game is good only for a few players. I do not think so because it is a very good game or you can be bothered because the Infiltration is a mod and you need ut and 436 patch to play?

Forum picture

Forum picture

Last edited:

jsonedecker

Jun 14, 2008
@Beppo:

He knows how to get ahold of me and I have always hoped to see us reunited again at some point. It's up to Beppo though. :)