Project Draco Goes UE3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Grounding Inc. announces that they've licensed Unreal Engine 3 for Project Draco, set to release on Xbox LIVE Arcade in 2012. The game makes use of Kinect to allow gamers to ride a virtual dragon.

"Because this is Grounding's first high-definition game, we looked at many technology options and picked Unreal Engine 3 as the best solution," said Yukio Futatsugi, director at Grounding. "We began development in September 2010 when Microsoft first announced the title. While our team size is only 15 people and we had merely one year from the start of the project, the productive tools and efficient processes of Unreal Engine 3 meant we could come up with a high-quality playable demo in a very short time."

Futatsugi added, "While none of our team had experience with the Unreal Engine before, the devoted support of Epic Games Japan ensured a very smooth development process. We feel like there's an invisible teammate named 'Unreal' sitting with us. With crunch time coming up, it's reassuring to have such a dependable partner on our side."

"Unreal Engine 3 is usually seen as a solution for a big team working on a large-budget title, especially in Japan," said Taka Kawasaki, territory manager of Epic Games Japan. "'Project Draco' provides a great example of how smaller studios can still fully enjoy the power of Unreal Engine 3. It has been especially impressive to see Grounding harness the capability of Unreal Kismet, our visual scripting system, to design complex, intertwined flight paths for playable dragons and enemies in three-dimensional space. Mr. Futatsugi has always delivered cool games with very unique settings and gameplay design, such as 'Panzer Dragoon' and 'Phantom Dust,' and I can't wait to see the new world he brings to life with Unreal Engine 3."

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
This game is really beautiful.

I remember Panzer Dragoon Orta being one of the big games that led be to [eventually] buy an Xbox.
I can't help but feel that this should just be Panzer Dragoon IV without the Kinect requirement (and a PC release, lol, yeah right).

Anyway, good luck to the dev's.

edit
that little blurb is interesting as all hell. 15 people, the way they used Kismet. Cool, man!

Last edited:

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
Not really 'getting' all the hype around kinect, all those motion capture things don't really add anything to the gaming experience, ymmv.

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
Not really 'getting' all the hype around kinect, all those motion capture things don't really add anything to the gaming experience, ymmv.

Ever entertained guests at your house? The Wii has been wonderful for that, and once my Star Wars 360 bundle comes in, hopefully the Kinect will be as well. Someone once brought one over with the included Kinect Adventures game and I have to say it was very entertaining, surpassing the Wii by quite a bit in hilarity and coolness factor both.

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
Heck Yes!

I need a new one anyways... the 360 I have is the launch day console. It's held up well all this time, but there have been so many improvements over time. The slimmer design would be nice, the decrease in fan noise will be wonderful, and the pitiful 20GB hard drive that was all that was available has long ago been maxed. Add in a case design that looks and sounds like R2D2 and you've got me. Star Wars has always been my favorite universe in which to game. Throw in a Kinect and you have my wife convinced... she's been wanting one and a dance/workout game.

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
But it's so expensive, and you're effectively paying for Star Wars: Kinect D:

I did want the R2D2 console though - not paying £350 for a 360 console.

Yeah, too bad the price point didn't come out at a nice discount for buying it as a bundle. Instead, the bundle costs basically the same thing as buying each part individually, and getting a cool case mod for free.

And this isn't wholly off-topic. Games like Project Draco are going to require Microsoft be successful with their Kinect marketing. Now that I know I have one coming in my future, I'll keep my eye on this and other Kinect games. I'll pick up a few of the good (at least for group entertainment) ones. So do a good job Grounding Inc!

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
Bummer :(

More on-topic: I wonder how dynamic they can make kismet controlled flight paths. Sounds like kind of a nightmare to me.
It has been especially impressive to see Grounding harness the capability of Unreal Kismet, our visual scripting system, to design complex, intertwined flight paths for playable dragons and enemies in three-dimensional space.