UE3 Adds Adobe Flash Support

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Epic Games continues to add amazing new abilities to Unreal Engine 3 and this one seems like it could be huge. During a keynote at Adobe MAX 2011, Epic Games' head honcho and all-around genius, Tim Sweeney, today presented UE3 tech running fully inside an Adobe Flash-based environment. The live demonstration was of a visually-enhanced Unreal Tournament 3 zipping along in Adobe's Flash Player 11.

Naturally, this feature will also be available to licensees of UE3.

UE3 is constantly evolving, with new breakthroughs, technologies and optimizations for multiple platforms. Flash Player 11, with its hardware accelerated, programmable graphics pipeline, is now capable of running triple-A gaming content authored for high-end platforms using the industry's latest tools and technologies.

Flash Player is a key technology for gaming on social networks and the Web, and with UE3 will usher in the leap from simplistic 2D game experiences to world-class 3D gaming on the Web. With its new hardware-accelerated Stage 3D APIs, Flash Player 11 allows 1,000 times faster 2D and 3D graphics rendering performance over Flash Player 10. Developers can now animate millions of objects with smooth 60 frames per second rendering and deliver console-quality games on Mac OS, Windows and connected televisions.

"With UE3 and Flash, games built for high-end consoles can now run on the Web or as Facebook apps, reaching an enormous user base," said Sweeney. "This totally changes the playing field for game developers who want to widely deploy and monetize their games."

"We're excited that Epic Games is tapping into the latest capabilities in Adobe Flash Player 11 to power its Unreal Engine 3," said Emmy Huang, group product manager, Adobe Gaming Solutions. "As the console of the web, Flash is delivering immersive gaming experiences across screens and we're thrilled to have Epic Games using Flash Player to deliver its blockbuster, premier 3D games on the Web."

dinwitty

DeRegistered User
Nov 10, 1999
midwest,USA
www.qtm.net
holy wheezeball is my first reaction, Flash breaks all OS boundries. Imagine buying UT4 running in flash instead a specific OS.

Then again I shouldn't be surprised, as you know Unreal98 had multi-vidcard support, you know, there was a Chrome thing, you had some other odd vidcard, Galaxy, Glide, OGL, SGL, D3D, then software rendering, EPIC really covered the bases, so yeh, why not... looks like Sweeney aint bored...yet...

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
What the fuck? Flash is all but dead. They might as well add commodore 64 support.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
What the fuck? Flash is all but dead. They might as well add commodore 64 support.
I feel this way, too. It's going out, not coming in. The other thing is, this does nothing for you. The games will still require massively beefy hardware because they are running on your video card. The only thing this does is unify the front end system. All the behind the scenes code isn't "runs on anything" flash.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
YAY! More bloated, hideously designed flash applications with colossal loading times, poor rendering rates and massive security weakeness, just what the internet needs!

RennyManJr

Hater in Rehab
Jan 20, 2008
Modena, Italy
www.runesofwar.net
I feel this way, too. It's going out, not coming in.

It's not a feeling, it's a fact. Even Adobe is finally starting to realize that html5 is the way to go, just look at what they'r doing with Adobe Edge. Maybe this time the transition is slower, but the new html version will become a web standard sooner or later while flash never managed to accomplish this. And since they can do almost the same things now its just a matter of doing 2+2.

Flash is shit, and they are wasting time and resources to mantain its development. Letting him die is just the right thing to do.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Indeed. But still most importantly the ridiculous failure in security that is wonderfully presented to anyone who wants to remotely execute code on your machine.

I hope you like malware in your games.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Indeed. But still most importantly the ridiculous failure in security that is wonderfully presented to anyone who wants to remotely execute code on your machine.

I hope you like malware in your games.
Haha, so true. And Flash has more CRITICAL SECURITY FIX patches than Windows.

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
I don't yet know the details well enough to comment on the real usefulness or security of this new capability. Some of the vehemence against this (on here and other forums, articles comments, etc) seems a bit silly, though. Malware sure isn't in executables, only flash! Any reason to suppose that playing a new flash game is more likely to give you a virus than downloading some exe from the web or on a disk vended out of the back of some dude's van on the street corner? Why would you suppose a game that is using full hardware acceleration is going to have worse performance in a little box in the middle of the screen as opposed to running fullscreen native resolution? Is there a great reason that Epic should not make themselves more enticing to all these game shops that currently have experienced Flash developers (I'm thinking of the heavy use of Air I've been seeing in games I've gotten recently). This is just one of many new platforms/delivery vectors that UE3 has added to its repertoire, not a plot to hold back web standards.

UE3 _can_ run in Flash???? Oh NOES t3h IE 5 is coming back!!111!1

KeithZG

will forever be nostalgic
Oct 14, 2003
Visit site

Naw, it's still widespread enough. Further, it's part of their general mission of porting UE3 to absolutely every* platform out there. Flash is definitely dying, but it's so big and widely used that it'll be quite a while still before it's gone. I guess they figure it's worth their time to build a Flash frontend. I'll leave my own opinion on how absurd this is to my footnote here.

*for values of "every" which exclude desktop Linux, that is. </bitter>

Last edited: