UDK Showcase: Hawken

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Hasn't been that bad unless the ping gets high
Of course the sheer speed people can move doesn't always help

On my connection it's always high enough to mess up weapons like the shotgun. I think it affects others as well, dropping a jammer beacon greatly reduces the number of hits I take to the point where getting killed with bullets while moving is extremely rare.

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
omg stop the madness! :) this group is working on an awesome looking UDK game and youse are talking zeroping? lol

I was never into the whole giant robot mech thing but those environments and the models look fantastic, excellent artwork - keep up the good work Hawken project team!!

Last edited:

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
Let's get back on topic!

What kind of lag compensation do you think Hawken uses?

j/k, sorry I contributed to our descent into hit detection politics.

If this game continues to look so cool I'll probably pick it up.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
On my connection it's always high enough to mess up weapons like the shotgun. I think it affects others as well, dropping a jammer beacon greatly reduces the number of hits I take to the point where getting killed with bullets while moving is extremely rare.
Yea, the shotgun is screwy in itself as I think it's projectile based instead of hitscan

Flak

I am Gamer, hear me Pwn. RAWR
May 26, 2004
You should just do full client side so that the hilarity of ZeroPing can ensue again.

1) Connect to server.
2) Pick up sniper rifle.
3) disconnect Ethernet.
4) run around and headshot everyone.
5) reconnect Ethernet.
6) M-M-M-M-MONSTER KILLL

*dies

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
You should just do full client side so that the hilarity of ZeroPing can ensue again.

1) Connect to server.
2) Pick up sniper rifle.
3) disconnect Ethernet.
4) run around and headshot everyone.
5) reconnect Ethernet.
6) M-M-M-M-MONSTER KILLL

Fact: This is how most console shooters work.

No, really. I wish I was joking.

I also played Phantasy Star Universe for a bit which I think did the same thing. There was a period where I was on a spotty wireless net, but I didn't notice whenever I got lagspikes. I could run around and shoot stuff just fine and they would take damage, but they would all die in about 10 second intervals. My friend said on his screen I would be standing still, then fly around the room like a wtfninja and just oneshot everything.

Last edited:

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
Appears like player characters poly'd in mech suits with Mr Pants excessive overkill and low grav thrown in. Not that isn't fun :p

IMO a "real" mech game requires gameplay that features hit damage by location so various appendages can be blown off or hot swapped for upgrades. Think walking/flying robo-tanks rather than battle suits with jet packs.

For an indie game, the trailers look good. Hope it's priced right for a test drive :)

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
Pretty telling about the amount of 'creativity' and 'originality' in Hollywood these days :lol:

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
The website is down due to it going open beta. At least as far as what I can tell. May want to wait a bit, but the game IS out in open beta now.