BU Reviews: Batman Arkham Asylum

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
If you're a fan of Batman or not, you might just find yourself having a good time with Batman Arkham Asylum. We did. In fact, we had such a good time we took our sweet-ass time reviewing it. If you want to just skip to the chase - go buy it.

Otherwise, read on.

baa01.jpg

[NBK]Rattman

Goo God
Feb 22, 2005
nbkillas.com
Great reviews guys!!

I will say on Brizz's review about the lock picking...I found it simple with the keyboard mouse combo and never got hung up on any locks!

I just followed the little waves on the monitor

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I will say that I tried the game with both keyboard/mouse and Xbox 360 controller and found it perfectly playable with either. I did end up prefering the controller though because of the feedback.

barballs

Packed with Unreal goodness
May 3, 2003
Arizona
www.redbrick.dcu.ie
I loved this game. Found it VERY easy with PC controls. I was glued to it! Hands down one of the best, if not even the best game of the year. I loved the Riddler's Challenges. The cameos of all the other who's who of Gotham's villains was also a plus. Can't rate this game High enough. Inverted takedown for the win :)

I love this game on PS3. It looks so so so nice.

For me everything was perfect about it.

The voice acting was top notch. The graphics were really good, the controls were perfect, the story was great, the level design was great.

It's my favorite game of the year for sure. 10/10

GGA_Nate

I train people, not dogs.
Jan 20, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
www.myspace.com
Good review. I just recently bought Batman AA and now it's one of my favorite games. I used the keyboard controls the whole time and didn't have too many problems, but I think stringing combos together would've been easier with a 360 controller.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I agree with all points made as well as Hal and Brizz's reviews. Bought it for ps3 as well and I must say it was a very enjoyable experience. The combat challenges can bite my ass but everything else was top notch :tup:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
[NBK]Rattman;2386784 said:
Great reviews guys!!

I will say on Brizz's review about the lock picking...I found it simple with the keyboard mouse combo and never got hung up on any locks!

I just followed the little waves on the monitor
It's doable, but it takes some getting used to. Plus, not having the vibration feedback really changes how those work. If you can, try it with the controller and see which you think is better. I'm really interested to know if other people felt the same way.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I find any game that feels like a platformer is better on the controller. Just a preference, of course :)

[NBK]Rattman

Goo God
Feb 22, 2005
nbkillas.com
I don't like controllers for games that i have to use one stick to move and the other to look...I find myself looking at either the floor or the ceiling all the time....lol

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
This is defnitely *the* superhero/adventure-game.
Although I'd have to say that some of the boss-fights/scenarios could have been better/more fun
(especially poison ivy and killer croc)
otoh ... the few encounters with you-know-who really do fit the character especially the intro-sequence to the last one.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
While the Poison Ivy fight was nothing more than the cliche "boss on a ledge plus annoying baddies" it at least was a little different than the others. I would have liked to have actually fought Croc instead of run from him, but it, again, was a change of pace without feeling forced.

The other to which you're refering I'm going to assume is Scarecrow and those were brilliant (if a little easy).

Still, I agree with your overall point.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
The game's really great. I really wished they would give us a level editor of some kind so we can make our own challenges and share them with the community.

Personally, I have done the game, and i find it extremely irritating that you can't simply unlock the other challenges by completing the earlier ones, but rather, wasting your time finding clue in the game! Why? I just want to play the challenges!

Any kind of INI trick avail for that? Trainers seem to only give the usual "infinite this-that" crap. I just wish to have all the challenges available.