Official UT3 Loving Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
What part of the nearly nonexistent avril ammo, vehakal spawn raping (blowing up enemy vehakals before someone gets in them), manta/viper spawn raping, and flag camping in the tank in VCTF is cool? :con:

AVRiL ammo was limited because of its abuse in pubs back in 2k4. Vehicle spawn raping is in every game with vehicles ever, and flag camping in the tank was in 2k4 too. :p

I love your sig though. Seriously, that ****s funny.

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
AVRiL ammo was limited because of its abuse in pubs back in 2k4. Vehicle spawn raping is in every game with vehicles ever, and flag camping in the tank was in 2k4 too. :p

It was only a problem on pubs when "noaim" vs. "noskill" played, because they couldn't aim nor had the skills to evade the AVRiLs. So of course they had to use nothing but AVRiLs.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Just like the No one Lives Forever game series, funny conversation.

Someone should really start all kinds of polls with UT3 vs any other game in this forum. I would like to see the results, totally unbiased of course. (Insert irony, but the idea is still a good one.)

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
It was only a problem on pubs when "noaim" vs. "noskill" played, because they couldn't aim nor had the skills to evade the AVRiLs. So of course they had to use nothing but AVRiLs.

2k4's AVRiL always felt incredibly cheesy to me. Especially the bullcrap where you would fire the missle straight up, then lock on the vehicle and have it go straight down. Not how a guided missile behaves at all. UT3's AVRiL is much more believable.

Apr 11, 2006
2k4's AVRiL always felt incredibly cheesy to me. Especially the bullcrap where you would fire the missle straight up, then lock on the vehicle and have it go straight down. Not how a guided missile behaves at all. UT3's AVRiL is much more believable.

Yeah, it won't do those silly circle-around-the-vehicle loops anymore either. Although it bugs me how much more aggressive it is with regards to tracking enemy movement.

For example, if I'm firing it at a Hellbender in front of me, which begins driving to my right, the missle will launch and head directly into a wall at my right even though the Hellbender is slow enough that it doesn't need to make such an aggressive turn to project the target's course.

I also wish the lock-on area were a bit smaller. It makes it hard sometimes to lock onto something after firing the rocket in the air just because the lock-on area is so huge that you'll probably accidentally graze over a vehicle and have your rocket aggressively turning into a tree or something.

Also, I often find myself puzzled as to why I can pick up an Avril (fresh, 5 ammo), go to another weapon, and then when I swap back to my Avril, it has to reload (?) before I can fire. This doesn't take up any ammo, but it does take 2 seconds.

It "feels" a lot more powerful now, though. If only the dud projectiles weren't so common...

Last edited:

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Currently watching the Unreal Engine 3 improvements video and laughing with the audience to that cube of meat. Once the engine updates and the game releases again in a year or so we will have an even better Unreal experience. Keep wondering, where is the unreality in the later Unreal games? *giggle*

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
How do you spectate a botmatch?

First start a match with you in it. Let's use DM-ShangriLa as an example. Instead of clicking Fire to start the game, hit your TAB key to open up the console at the bottom of the screen and then type this line in:

open dm-shangrila?spectatoronly=1

And then hit your Enter key and the map will reload with only Bots playing.

Last edited:

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
I like UT3 as a fun game, I play it mainly for FragBU. I like dueling in UT2004 much more though and for those random tdm matches which is why I still play it.

Warre

The Dark
Mar 8, 2008
www.corvette-forum.net
I love it, it took me a bit to get used to it.

Most of the time i play instagib and thank god it's back again :).

A few more classic maps like face(3) and november or december and it's perfect.

I just never get bored with UT.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
How do you spectate a botmatch?

You can also assign a key to the command "viewbot" (i.e. my key is F6) and when a match starts just feign death so your body doesn't get killed right away and then hit F6 and you will be in spectate mod looking at a bot .. to switch to another bot just hit F6. Now the reason I feign death is so that my "immobile" body does not killed so fast ... when you get killed you can still view the bots using the above method but you will not see their health stats and other info that shows up on the HUD. Once you hit the "fire" button you respawn and you can just repeat the same steps to spectate the bots.

Basically I treat the game like Solitaire pretty much ... get in for 30 minutes and then do something else. Its a fun game if you don't take it too seriously and compare it too much with past iterations. For example I miss the space ships from UT2K4 and the way you could do space battles ... AS-Mothership was one seriously fun and challenging AS map. But I get that UT3 is different in many ways and not only is there no AS but that vehicles is gone as well and so no more battles in space like Star Wars or something. But that is not UT anyway so no prob. The new vehicles are so cool anyway that I am not upset about this causality but I do sometimes miss those two spacejets.

Last edited:

Argus

Spack Jazzrabbit
Feb 13, 2008
Scotland
Dawn and Dria come to mind.

I read this and thought about the mod Stunt HQ for 2k4. Not so much about Dawn, but definitely Dria. We'd have a lot of fun racing each other up and down the big frozen river in our Scorpions/Hellbenders/Mantas and whatever the hell else we could find.

Now, with the inclusion of the hoverboard, and some of the tricks you can pull off with it, think how much fun you can have playing on the classic ONS maps! :)

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
I think it owns most other shooters out there in terms of fun and difficulty. Mod and map support is great and there are some very talented mappers about. Im just happy to be part of this community and part of this great game.

gades

The Grudge Master!
Nov 20, 2004
Behind you biatch!!
Thx for the tips about spectating.

And yes, the UT series owns. No other shooter that I know of (nixing quake3) has the same level of action that ut has. The modding community is second to none too.

Behind UT3's questionable interface (it doesn't bother me at all really), lies a solid game. Just a few more patches, some solid 3rd party maps with great fps, a few community tweaks even, and there should be no viable reason not to play this game.

RoninMastaFX

Unreal/UT Vet from Day 1
I love UT3 for six reasons:

1) Ever since Patch 1.1 came out, UT3 became decent to my standards. It was missing one simple thing in the retail (the model height problem), but it never bothered me.

2) UT3 (and all other Unreal Engine 3 games) includes Kismet, for unexperienced coders, like myself :)

3) Character Selection (aka creating your own character) is pure genius imho. :) Probably THE best addition to the UT series. :D

4) Single Player mods is long and awesome, but hard, just like the old games were, hard and long...but UT3 is unique to that matter ebcause mainly MMORPG's and RPG's usually have that kidn of gameplay, UT3 brought it to the Unreal Tournament franchise.

5) I am 100% obsessed with the Rocket Laucnher model, the Bio Rifle model and the Link Gun model. :)

6) The Techno styled music that was also in Unreal 1/Unreal Tournament was a good choice for UT3. The second best addition they made. :)

I have a small amount of gripes to the game as well, but the game is too full of win and awesome to be griped about (except some very few times). If I was griping about UT3, there would be no UT3DOM. ;)