[NEWS] Every map in UT2007 will be set on the same planet

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
EggBoy said:
To me, different planets seems a lot less feasible than one planet. Its the future but still why would they waste so much money sending competitors half way across the galaxy for every fight? Makes more sense that they would build each arena either from scratch or heavily modify some natural location/building because they need to get the gameplay of the arena just right (a parallel to Epic making the maps for UT2007 itself).

I also liked the idea of matches taking place in colossal domed arenas in the middle of a dirty, overpopulated city, just like the intro of UT99 if you remember. As for more alien locations (tokara, antalus etc) they could just as easily simulate those on the planet too. Single planet does not limit variety in any way.
Why do you think it would cost alot of money to send people to different planets? I think it's less feasible to think that any one planet would have the variety of locales that even the minimal set of maps that UT2003 had. It sounds awfully ridiculous! If they mean that each series of UW/Conquest maps is on the same planet, that sounds a heck of alot better than "We have 150 different maps in different locales on one planet."

If they keep any ideas from UT2kX, though, then the matches aren't physically taking place on ANY planets.

ShakeZula

Nov 9, 2005
Cheshire, England
I'm interested in exactly how this would limit map remakes. I have no idea which planets the maps are set on, in fact, until this thread I didn't even realise they were on different planets... Guess I never really thought about it!

Are there are any significant potential mutual exclusions, i.e. Roughinery and Rankin being set on different planets would mean only one may appear in 2k7 thus breaking my tender duelling heart?

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
Linten said:
Are there are any significant potential mutual exclusions, i.e. Roughinery and Rankin being set on different planets would mean only one may appear in 2k7 thus breaking my tender duelling heart?
I hope they make new maps (layouts), rather than giving up and falling back on remakes of the favourites from previous games.

the head

Dec 3, 2005
This is part of an interview with James A. brown posted at IGN during CG:
" The 'Liandri planet,' as it's tentatively being referred to, will at least feature lower areas of rubble and ruin, middle environments with industrialized themes, upper realms of glitzy urban life, and encircling space / sky areas. Epic hopes that kind of structure will give UT 2007 a real cohesive feel.
"
this functioning planet/universe is also what UW is all about, no metter how it will eventually be it would still be a global warfare across all of the Unreal-universe with long-term effects to winning in matches or doing sometings inside them.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
This one planet thing could be reffering merely to the single player or indeed the warfare/conquest gametype? Did they not say conquest/warfare is played and the next match is streamed? They probaby made the whole warfare thing based on a single planet. Rather than forcing you to fight epic abttles on various, random seeming locations.

That is to say, we have no specific details, even with Selerox's word so tehre's no need to panick just yet. ;) Even so of the popular maps could be remade and all new maps could be created within the context of a single planet and still be fun to play.

EggBoy said:
To me, different planets seems a lot less feasible than one planet. Its the future but still why would they waste so much money sending competitors half way across the galaxy for every fight? Makes more sense that they would build each arena either from scratch or heavily modify some natural location/building because they need to get the gameplay of the arena just right (a parallel to Epic making the maps for UT2007 itself).

I also liked the idea of matches taking place in colossal domed arenas in the middle of a dirty, overpopulated city, just like the intro of UT99 if you remember. As for more alien locations (tokara, antalus etc) they could just as easily simulate those on the planet too. Single planet does not limit variety in any way.

Most of the competitors are from different planets. WHich is more liekly that all those aliens would travel to one planet to fight in various different arena's, or that each planet would have arena's of their own. (Just like country's do in teh world cup or, states, or counties or so in other sporting championships.) The UT world has spaceships and translocators so, transport to diffrent planets is so acceptable it's presumed the norm i'd say.

Last edited:

Mr. UglyPants

2007 never existed, it was all a dream.
Aug 22, 2005
Canada... eh
Rk. said:
NO MORE EGYPTIAN PYRAMID LEVELS. I want more spaceships.

Dude They said (i think Epic did) that they're will be Egyptain combants, so that means they'll have to fight on their on home terf!

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
EggBoy said:

Dying and respawning is more feasible than traveling to different planets? They can just teleport the contestants. Actually, the idea I got from the UT2003 intro was that the tournament games took place in virtual reality. If so, they could virtually go wherever the hell they pleased.

EggBoy

Apr 26, 2005
nuttella said:
Dying and respawning is more feasible than traveling to different planets? They can just teleport the contestants.

I dont care too much whether its one planet or not, it can make sense either way. Just that I liked the idea of matches taking place in purpose built simulated arenas in the middle of large overpopulated cities (kinda like UT99 intro), than on alien planets in the middle of nowhere.

nuttella said:
Actually, the idea I got from the UT2003 intro was that the tournament games took place in virtual reality. If so, they could virtually go wherever the hell they pleased.

This was kinda my point in my other post, it is simply unclear whether it's virtual reality or physical or some combination of the two. There are so many other things which are unexplained. I think the key is that there needs to be a stronger story and well defined universe, especially since its coming to consoles, and maybe the added cohesion of having a single planet could help this.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
The feeling I got from UT2003 was that it was "real" in the sense that it was the actual people there fighting for sport, but so long as they were within the designated tournament arenas, they could not be killed permanently... Their bodies (what do they call it?) derez and form anew, so they can keep playing. Or something.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Turns2Ashes said:
The feeling I got from UT2003 was that it was "real" in the sense that it was the actual people there fighting for sport, but so long as they were within the designated tournament arenas, they could not be killed permanently... Their bodies (what do they call it?) derez and form anew, so they can keep playing. Or something.
The story is all over the place.

UT2003 made it seem like virtual reality, which I think is a pretty good explanation. Maybe they teleported them to the arenas, though... I have no idea.

In UC2, the Necris are running everything and they have control over who respawns and who doesn't. Selket dies in the Ascension Rites because the final match has no respawning. That's how she becomes Necris Selket.

In UT2004 nothing is ever explained, in fact UT2003 had more of a "backstory" than 2k4 does. Whether or not that is because UT2003's backstory is the same for 2k4 or not is unknown.

In UT, though, it would make total sense for it to have been teleporting or virtual reality. Remember the last scene of the intro? The guy rises up, but it's not into an arena, it's some kind of "field".

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
It might make sense that it was virtual reality, but in the ut2003 intro I heard the announcer say something along the lines of "Gorge is P*ssed at Malcolm because of the scar he gave him in his last match". It also does not explain how Brock was killed (I guess it could have been outside the arena), and it doesn't explain how in single player your teamates could be 'injured'.

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
Ultimately, I think the "planet" that the map is "set" on is absolutely irrelevant to the actual content of the map. Can anyone actually say that all of the maps from UT99, UT03, or UT04 positively couldn't all exist on the same planet? Even space maps, like Phobos and Face, could conceivably take place in the orbit of a single planet (ie as satellites). Keep in mind that in most sci-fi lore (take Star Wars for instance) the different planets are differenciated only by being exagerated versions of envonrments allready existing on earth. There's no reason why one planet can't have 100 different types of environments... each map represents only an infinitesimal portion of a planet anyway.

Yeah, in terms of the story, it might be more exciting if it's said that the arenas are all on different planets, but UT's story is worthless and irrelevant anyway. Does anyone really care if the assault map they're playing on is a re-enactment of the Nail-Skarjj war or whatever? Hell no.

I have to agree though that the Egyptian levels were overdone in UT2k4 and, of course, UC2...I hope if the 2k7 does exist on only one planet, they don't use it an excuse to render the whole game with the same set of textures and architectural features.

Da Spadger

Insert stupid title here.
Jul 16, 2004
Sir_Brizz said:
In UC2, the Necris are running everything and they have control over who respawns and who doesn't. Selket dies in the Ascension Rites because the final match has no respawning. That's how she becomes Necris Selket.

HAY THNX FOR SPOILING. :mad:

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
The necris don't run everything, they control the necris process which is so expensive that only Liandri can do it on the market. Liandri man offers it to Anubis for Selket - as compensation and possible blackmail to control him - as the final frag in the last match is a no-respawn affair. Nice touch

FireCrack

May 25, 2004
I'm preety sure in an earlier interview it was said that they wanted you to be able to see where you are going next. So it's probably just some gimmik for singleplayer s when you look out of the window of the secret robot factory you'l see some huge icy mountian and lo and behold, the next map (in singleplayer) is a huge icy mountian.

Last edited:

->Sachiel<-

Jul 24, 2005
I think having consistency in planet is a great idea, it definitely won't limit the map environments but it will give everyone a nice background to stare at every once in awhile. It would be even cooler if a server can run 2 maps or more with 2 differemt sets of people or more in a ladder with timed games like "online tournament" mode or something and when you look at the background you can see the other people fighting on their maps, this won't lag because LOD compensation will severely take effect on their model quality at that range.

Xans_bodyguard

Xan's Personal Bodyguard
Feb 10, 2006
Minnesota.
ya know, if i see another deck or november remake, i think i'll puke. mabye people will come to sense and start making newer and exiting maps. i personally think maps with some clever traps would be nice. :D

anyway, about those screenshots...mabye they just used the same planet for all the shots. and thats the ONLY planet they'll show us for now.

Rk.

Sleezy bastard.
Nov 18, 2005
Candyland.
Mr. UglyPants said:
Dude They said (i think Epic did) that they're will be Egyptain combants, so that means they'll have to fight on their on home terf!
F*ck that. I still hate egyptian levels.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
You never know there might not be many if any nahkti levels, there we alot in uc2 so maybe epic will move away from that. I dunno....