Most well-rounded weapons?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nimbostratus

Aug 12, 2004
New Jersey, USA
I know that some weapons are better than others in certain situations (like the ripper in tight hallways, sniper rifle for long distance), but I'm not sure what would be decent in the most situations.

So, in your opinion, what is the most well-rounded weapon for UT99 or UT2003?

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
It depends......

Nimbostratus said:
I know that some weapons are better than others in certain situations (like the ripper in tight hallways, sniper rifle for long distance), but I'm not sure what would be decent in the most situations.

So, in your opinion, what is the most well-rounded weapon for UT99 or UT2003?
As you say it depends on the type of map and the scale. Playing through some maps over and over again, I seem to always end up with a certain weapon rather than any other.

That probably has a lot to do with the mappers' construction and whether they have balanced the map well for gameplay too.

Flak cannons are always a useful tool. I'm beginning to think that the alternate fire in the link gun is getting to be a bit of an exploit (particularly in some bot match situations).

But, then again, you need it for ONS. Using it to build nodes and heal nodes and vehicles was a great idea and really makes that gametype, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
I don't know of any ut2k3, only 2k4 :p
Anyways, flak cannon is easilly my favourite all-round weapon now

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
It's all good....

XepptizZ said:
But using flak for sniping isn't very effective or is it? (place a wondering smiley here)
Only with the appropriate tactical scope....

But seriously, the flack cannon is good in primary mode for close order/melee attacks and medium range secondary fire lobbing of shells to soften up a target as you strafe you way inwards towards said target.

Sniper maps and sniping is fun too in my opinion.

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
I'm gradually using the bio more and more, to the point I actually go out of my way to pick it up now. I only just discovered (!) that if you charge up a secondry and select a different weapon then it will auto switch to that weapon after the blob is released (can't believe I only found this recently after so many years :con: )
It makes it quite a leet weapon, I don't use it for anything else, but it's cool to have 1 attempt at a 1-shot-kill when you see someone, and even if you miss then they are still usually quite distracted by the residual goo lying around :)
It's good for me too because I am much better at predicting where someone will be when my projectile hits than using instant-hit weapons (I almost always use flak secondry and not primary, even at close range)

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
... Flak Cannon is best. You can't snipe with it, of course, but it's the most complete weapon around. First fire is great at close-medium range, like a shotgun only it ricochets on surfaces and comes back for more! Usefull for indirect fire like hitting someone beyond a corner/other angled situation. It can be used at least to confuse the enemy. Real danger to player only if low on health/resolves shoot straight in the wall in front of him.

Then, there's secondary fire. Great at medium-long range, but usable closer with no harm if player is skilled. Almost as good as a rocket, only it doesn't fly away like one, but arches to bomb target. Big damage direct hit, hurtful shrapnel splash (like in 1rst fire mode) if fails target, giving damage still.

No other weapon in the game has this complementarity in-between 1rst and 2nd fire. The Pulse Rifle (link Gun to the girls out there :p) is maybe the one that gets closer, but Flak Cannon still reigns supreme. All the more with the altered Rocket launcher in UT200x games...

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Feel my pulse....

I still think the secondary fire on the link gun (or pulse rifle as we knew it in UT99, if you are going to be anal about it :D ) is a bit of an exploit now.

Last edited:

scirmast

Oct 20, 2002
Finland
Visit site
In 2kx, I think flak is the best all rounder. Not for long range fights (except to intimidate), but otherwise it is a good weapon.

Then slightly offtopic, but is the rocket launcha a good weapon at all? Feels like there is always a better weapon for all situations. What do you more experienced players think?

XepptizZ

What are you lookin at...
May 17, 2004
In solitude
scirmast said:
In 2kx, I think flak is the best all rounder. Not for long range fights (except to intimidate), but otherwise it is a good weapon.

Then slightly offtopic, but is the rocket launcha a good weapon at all? Feels like there is always a better weapon for all situations. What do you more experienced players think?

In UT99 I had the most nuts fractal 1on1's with that weapon. It's really good for evasive practice as well as reflexes, but on-line I think it's a pretty poor weapon compared to the flak, shock and sniper, even the minigun I guess.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
For UT.

Shock rifle. Good for long distance, and them crazy combo's you can place...
(just practise)
Minigun (a real killer).
Pulse (secondary firing mode combined with primary)

Flak: Hmmm... I like the gun don't get me wrong, but it's so easy getting kills with.
If you have good aim you can make "long distance" kills with secondary fire as well, I suppose.
Actually, experimenting with secondary fire was quite fun :D

And I also like the Rocket Launcher. The multiple firemodes of the weapon makes it so attractive.