The ERMA SR 100 sniper rifle - ready to test!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Eyegore

=================
Sep 4, 2001
Hanover
This is the 1st weapon I have actually made - I've made plenty of models, but this one I actually coded it, etc.

It's the ERMA SR 100 sniper rifle - try it out and let me know what you think! (and I mean that seriously - I really want to know how to improve my skills.)

Thanks

Eyegore

=================
Sep 4, 2001
Hanover
And now, the screens and the file !

Attachments

• Shot00000.jpg
    Shot00000.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 192
  • Shot00001.jpg
    Shot00001.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Shot00002.jpg
    Shot00002.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 75
  • Shot00006.jpg
    Shot00006.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
Other than the quick experimental first person model, the pickup and scope sounds aren't very fitting, and the crosshair on the scope is hard to see in dark places. Other than that, it seems like a fine first weapon. You're off to a good start. :D

Last edited:

Eyegore

=================
Sep 4, 2001
Hanover
I'll definately change the zoom sounds. It's actually an element I completelly didn't think about:)

I'll also re-work the cross-hair - I was trying to go for that 'realistic' look with the crosshair - I wasn't (though I guess I should be) thinking about how someone else might see it; that is, if it's difficult to use in dark places, I'll have to think up something to change that - maybe a little color...

I am going to rework the model (sometime soon) - to make it with fewer polys and try to paint a better skin.

When you guys are making new weapons, do you come up with the code first, or do you make the model first? Or do you work them both simultaneously?

I'd definatlely be interested in learning about your workflow.

Thanks for taking a look!

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
I can't make models for UT2K3, and WMP has no modeller. I usually think of an idea for a weapon, then I start thinking simultaneously about how to code it and what existing model could work.

EvilDrWong

Every line of code elevates you
Jun 16, 2001
Inside the machine
Visit site
Ok, from checking out that first screen ive got one little gripe (which i have with lots of sniper rifles, so dont take this too personally) Fatten up that barrel! Im sure its decently wide in your modelling program, but since it extends as 'far' into the scene as it does (compounded with the FOV youre displaying the weapon at) it makes the barrel look like a point at the end instead of something you should be shooting bullets out of. Id say try scaling the barrel up by like 25% just for the first person model. If it looks funny then... well... i dont know :p Other than that, could i suggest a bit more detail in the skin? Im no skinner, nor do i have even the most generic idea of what you could do... but it looks like the highlights are too emphasised. Try making them thinner and see how it works out, you know.. just to show off the sharp edges and whatnot.

edit: Just downloaded and i noticed that all of the packages have the same name. Its not a big problem, but it can cause issues with some systems and network play.

Last edited:

Eyegore

=================
Sep 4, 2001
Hanover
Sure I'll scale up the barrel! It does look a little pointy:)

I am planning on making a more permanent model, one that has fewer polys and unwrapped a bit better. But My painting skills are kinda sucky... still, I'll definately thin up the highlights a bit. Actually, the texture renders in the game a lot shinier than I want. I was trying to go for a matte finish, what good is a shiny beacon of a sniper rifle?:)

I'll change the names of the packages to, at least to keep with the standard you all uphold for ensuring quality netplay and stopping system issues.

Thanks again for your comments, I'm actually kinda glad that most of the critique is coming about the model and the skin - oustide of the skin, those are easy to fix. The hard part was trying to get the code to work. Even though it's based off the lightning gun, I did learn a lot about the program flow and about many of the functions, classes, casting, and a bunch of other programming related topics that for my next weapon, I should ba able to make one that isn't quite as generic.

EvilDrWong

Every line of code elevates you
Jun 16, 2001
Inside the machine
Visit site
actually, you could go as far as doubling the poly count on the model and youd still be within acceptable ranges. Theres not really much to complain about code wise because, well... there doesnt seem to be anything wrong with it :p It shoots, it switches, it zooms... what else is there to do? ;)
A quick way to add a bit of detail would be to put a cube-mapped overlay on it... If its subtle enough (but still noticable :p) it can make the weapon look much cooler without slaving for hours over getting tones just right ;)