Unofficial technical weapon question forum.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Meplat

Chock full-o-useless information
Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
A Teeny tiny voice in the back of my head says the IDF, and some spec ops units of the U.S. military bought VERY small numbers of em. But Robar employs maybe 20 people, so they could'nt be fielding a lot of these anyhow. He's just got a small shop to make the rifles, AND do all the other gunsmithing he offers.

Next SAR show, I'll ask him..

Buddz

Jan 4, 2004
Oldenburg, Germany
Hey I've got a question:

What is the matter with these rifle-grenades? I mean these that you can mount on the flashhider of an FN FAL, for example, an shoot. How do they compete against a m203 mounted under a M16 or any similar device? Range, precision, kill radius, etc? Are they used anymore (were they used frequently in the past?).

thanks in advance

Meplat

Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
Recoil is heavy, accuracy is low. High potential for damage to weapon, and/or shooter.

The illumination/smoke/flare rounds are a LOT of fun though!

Meplat

Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
Noo. Damage from recoil. Broken stocks, broken or injured limbs from holding it wrong, etc..(Though pumping a live round into a non bullet trap grenade would probably be fatal..)

You basically have to "ground" the stock with, or against your knee before firing the heavier stuff. Flares, and illumination rounds are a hell of a lot lighter, and frequently rocket assisted.

Downrange? A RPG, or M72 would be just as effective. If you're worried about massed troop formations, well, that's what a radio call in for some arty, or CAS is for.

mbs357

olol
Jan 5, 2002
Visit site
I searched the thread, and the best I could found was about it not really existing...
But why is the AKMSU listed as a submachine gun? Does it nore fire 7.62x39?

Meplat

Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
Overall length is closer to a SMG. Functionally, what is shown is a cut down AKM.

Although, the KLIN, and KEDR smgs would be an interesting addition.

Arethusa

We will not walk in fear.
Jan 15, 2004
Honestly, while it is functionally a submachinegun, it is still technically an assault rifle (short carbine, to be more specific). Infiltration categorizes it as an SMG incorrectly. The same thing comes up when you start talking about something like the Colt M733, which most people refer to as an assault rifle; Colt, however, still refers to it as a submachinegun, even though it fires 5.56x45mm, etc.

Buddz

Jan 4, 2004
Oldenburg, Germany
Wow, these illumination flares are rocketpropelled? What for, to illuminate the moon? ;)

Yeah a RPG or M 72 would do the job better, but thats not the question. I've read they could be used as an anti-tank weapon. The text is a bit older, so it might not be reffering to those über-tanks they've got now, but do you think they could destroy/damage a tank. A 40mm would probably not, would it?

What bulk-value would you give it?

Meplat

Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
Go buy a surplus 26.5MM flare gun, and some illumination rounds. Go shoot them.

Imagine an Estes model rocket, chock full of fusee compound. THAT kind of rocket. Not a F*CKING V2!

Anyhow, there are 40MM grenades capable of penetrating quite a bit of armor, provided they hit correctly. ALL light anti armor munitions depend on a Munroe effect explosive charge, and if this is not square to the armor, the jet will do weird things.

If you want to take on a tank like the M1A2, I reccomend approaching it from the rear quarters (NOT DIRECTLY AFT, as the rather warm gas turbine poots out there) and get ON the vehicle. Using a ball pein hammer, proceed to break EVERY vision port, viewer or generally valuable looking item attached to said vehicle. When the crew realizes you do not have anythig BUT a ball pein hammer, they MAY try to come out, and cause YOU considerable bodily injury. Smack their fingers sharply with the hammer as they attempt to exit.

Eventually, the TC will become annoyed profusely. You will experience the massive accecelleration the M1A2 is capable of, followed by a demonstration of it's stopping ability. You will probably end up in front of the vehicle in question. Moving now would be wise, but your next (and last) visions will probably be a close up of a track block.

Any other questions?

Buddz

Jan 4, 2004
Oldenburg, Germany
Easy man, relax.

That smiley ;) behind the moon-illumination was meant to signal that this sentence is not to be taken too serious. I just thought that this special blank cartridge did all the job propelling the nades.

I also mentioned that I didn't mean those modern tanks, didn't I? Anyway I thought of the older, vietnam-ear tanks e.g. the m60 or the m551 or some other tanks (I'm not the professional that's why I'm asking).

So would such a rifle grenade be able to do significant damage to those older tanks?

And trust me, I wouldn't want to fight a tank, neither with a rifled grenade, nor with a modern rocketlauncher.

Meplat

Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
Wow. Dry humor goes over here like a lead balloon. As if my anti tank suggestion was'nt clue enough.

Anyhow..

Yes, it would damage ANY tank, sometimes severely. You pop one of the massive pre WW2 era M9 anti tank grenades on the blow off plate of a M1's ammo stowage, and it'd probably get interesting.

Late M60's actually are pretty damn tough. You'd injure crew, or damage sighting equipment, but probably would not disable it. The ammo stowage is pretty low, and hard to get to with a rifle grenade.

The Sheridan might not like a grenade. thin aluminimum armor. Not much heavier armor than a M113.

ravens_hawk

Apr 20, 2002
Visit site
Still gotta like the engineer way: bulldozers :D
One a more serious note for modern anti-tank (ie heavy armour) you're more looking at AT4s Carl Gs Eryx etc...