Official UT3 Loving Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Duke Nukem Loving Thread:

MMMmmmm
MMMmmmmm
MMMmmmmph
Where is it...?

(Please tell me I'm not the only one who gets that joke -- "open door" on a "women" a bunch of times)

Last edited:

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
DM-Fearless
That invincibility power up is so cool even thou it's almost meaningless. Immortality is overrated in this game. People won't pick a fight with the carrier, but then again everyone goes for it anyway. I have even knocked it off several people holding it with the impact hammer. I love the dynamics it brings to a free for all eight players deathmatch. The soundtrack as well as the textures and meshes are pure beauty.

I have to agree with this- some people think it's the worst map just because of the invulnerability. But it's a power that's actually rather easily stripped away. And if people don't have the guts to try that, then they just avoid you. The ability to steal it from the person holding it limits its power and I would like to see it on more maps. People thought the "knocking off powerups" feature of the impact hammer would be useless but I think it's a darn cool feature (Wish it did more damage to vehicles than it does though).

The mod community is still backing up the game. The player count, while not as high as some people might want, is more than enough to find a good game when you want one. I seriously have no good reason to complain about the game. Sure, it has bugs and technical problems, but no more than a lot of other games did at launch.

Before UT3, I rarely played deathmatch. But it's actually a lot of fun in UT3, even though I can't really figure out why :D.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Fundamentally Accomplished Intriguing Ludological

Apologies in advance for picking apart the post.

Are most of the "whiners" long time UT fans?

From all that I've read, yes. At the very least many whiners have played at least 2k4.

Regardless, I'm not sure how the endless repetition of "why UT3 is failing" threads really accomplishes anything . Of course, posting on an internet forum is like the opposite of production. I'm just saying that it's hard to be sympathetic towards these people from my prospective as a long time Unreal series fan because, honestly, despite a shoddy UI, a crappy server browser, and the whole gamespy login deal, I'm enjoying the game immensely.
The endless repetition of "why UT is failing" has a silver lining in the pile of turds that are many complaint posts, and that is that they occasionally point out valid criticisms. The problem is the hyberbole of "FAIL." I'm enjoying the game immensely as well, but keep getting annoyed with certain bugs and broken features.

The whining isn't going to accomplish anything and neither will blind praise. If UT continues to tank in the sales department, well, that'll do something.
Despite previous statements, I agree. Also, helpful threads do progress the community, so I'm all for having some of those around :D

Last edited:

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
My most positive thoughts. Well, I love the DM, but right now, we have mostly medium to small size maps and servers with limits set too high for the optimal experience. HOWEVER, now that I've had some time to really dig in with some of my UT brethern that I've been playing with for as much as 8 years...boot up a Dual server and play some serious 1 on 1, the experience is one of the best there is and really harkens back the best UT99 1 on 1 gameplay.

Seconded, 1v1 in this game is awesome.

Every single weapon is an improvement on its UT2004 iteration besides the Sniper Rifle (I know it's essentially the same thing as the LG, but it's just not as cool). Shoot, that sentence contained negativity. Uh, how about... "The flak, rockets, shock, goo, minigun, link gun, enforcers, and impact hammer are all improvements on the UT2004 iterations"?

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I love the lack of a shield gun. I played four 10-minute UT2004 1v1s last night after not having played one since July (won all four because I'm totally awesome like that) and the usage of the shield gun by my opponent made me angry since I wasn't using it at all. I still managed to go 21-0 on him on Ironic, though. :)

Negative caveat! Unfortunately, those UT2004 duels were more enjoyable than any I've had in UT3 thus far. Maybe I've just had bad luck, but I haven't enjoyed them as much even though 1v1 was the way I played most in UT2004. They were a lot slower than I was hoping for even with no shield gun. :/

Last edited:

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
Color Control + Team Shader Control + properly adjusted desktop brightness/gamma/contrast/intensity settings = very beautiful.

Very fun gameplay, even just doing DM botmatches.

It's interesting to look back through previous Unreal titles and see what little bits here and there made it into this iteration.

I love the art style.

For the first time the bots seem to have gotten more difficult. From Unreal to 2k4, the bot-matches seem to have gotten progressively easier (from my usual difficulty level,) but they seem to be more challenging this time.

The first patch fixed up a fair amount of stuff, and Epic is known for releasing multiple updates, so there is likelihood that future patches will fix a number of other current issues.
When questions are asked regarding upcoming patches, Epic often points to the community-built patch suggestion threads, which
implies that they are minding those threads and taking concerns into consideration, despite the abandonment assumed by doom-sayers.

Last edited:

Grogan

I was disappointed at first, but I'm completely converted now. There's lots of nice add on map content now and I've been really enjoying instagib in UT3 (with bots though... I have yet to run into an instagib server with people on it at the times I've looked)

I played instagib UT2004 for a bit tonight and it was rather boring and it looks lame now that I'm used to the richness of UT3 and the better bots.

I've always liked deathmatch modes the best, in any shooter game I play.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Glad to see so many replies already. The "score" is almost a tie now. I am downloading this very promising looking map right now.

DM-Cath
Apparently a beautiful cathedral.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
Glad to see so many replies already. The "score" is almost a tie now. I am downloading this very promising looking map right now.

DM-Cath
Apparently a beautiful cathedral.

This is a great level ... it is visually interesting in that it is better looking than UT2k4 levels but doesn't really have that UT3 look. still the gameplay is solid and the layout is pretty good ... you will definitely enjoy it.

Now my feelings are except for some lingering UI issues, having to reload mutators every time you restart the game, and the horrible bot selection screen I really really love this game. Hell I have it for my PS3 and PC and the thing is on the PS3 the motion blur actually works in game so I have been really enjoying that. But on the PC custom models work (well kind of but not fully thanks to the faction bug) while they are headless on the PS3 ...

I am not going to lie and say that I don't miss how colorful the bots language was in UT2K4 and the voicepacks which made them seem more real and unique and really like opponents, but man the models in UT3 look so good, especially when riding on the Hoverboard (where UT3 actually uses the high poly model that is what you see in the character selection screen) that I still have a great time playing them.

Defiance more than any other level really hooked me in for good. I mean that is one of the best levels I have ever played ... its flow is so amazing and the visuals are excellent ... Gateway and Deimos as well as Deck also just sealed the deal for me! When the 360 version comes out I will have that version also. And on the PC side once the DX10 code gets added people with Vista will be able to fully enable FSAA and that will be sweet (no half assed broken AA or forcing AA which never looks that good). So yeah I have love for this game and once they add more patches and more bonus content (like a playable Malcolm) it will be even better. Oh and did I mention the Vehicles are super cool! The DarkWalker rules all. But one vehicle I do miss is the Ion Tank but still all these new vehicles and revamped old ones are just great.

Apophis3d

Lord Apophis
Jan 22, 2008
Portland, Oregon
www.apophis3d.net
You know all the bitching about UT3 is pointless. Unreal has always been about the user community, custom maps and mods. UT3 can sort of be compared to Vista in a few years time everyone will be using it.

Servers are getting empty because everyones getting tired of the same maps over and over. Once a lot of these beta maps start getting polished up and finalized many servers will run them.

I always loved VCTF in UT2k4 but all the user maps "except for a select few". Were beyond nasty they looked bad very bad. I can't wait for some actual decent looking next-gen maps for VCTF to come out. I have already started playing with a few VCTF map concepts (which I can not tell anyone about at this time).

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
I hate to sound like blind praise, but I love UT3. But I like playing offline more than on, as is the case with most FPS games. I just cant stand listening to all the jerkwads who talk **** and spam annoying crap during the match.

DocB

Where does it hurt?
Apr 28, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Well I'm very satisfied with Warfare. I really feel like I get my money's worth with protracted battles. It takes a bit more experience to know when and where to use the orb and yes it is exasperating to be on a team when more than 50% of your team mates have no clue what to do but that is how it was when Onslaught first came out in 2K4. It gets better. I'm really looking forward to some new maps and remakes of favorites (Dawn and Dria come to mind). So yah, I'm loving it.

mistanearing

Jan 22, 2008
I dont care what any of you say, Kismet is the ****ing bomb. I wish I had Unreal 3 (not stuck with UT2K4) when we were making our game. Couldve had my artists/designers do the stuff in Kismet the programmers had to do in Wotgreal. Say what you will about the game being fun or not, props to Epic for making one of the best engines of 2007.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Surprisingly enough there are almost seven times as many post in the complaining thread. I guess it's a lot easier to find flaws and general dislike regarding the game. People that don't have the ability to like don't do much else than stay disappointed. This phenomenon is based in commonly know psychology. They don't like themselves or the position they have in society. All too weak to turn their lives around. I look past the problems to see the solutions. I play Unreal Tournament 3 because I like it, in fact, we all do.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Surprisingly enough there are almost seven times as many post in the complaining thread. I guess it's a lot easier to find flaws and general dislike regarding the game. People that don't have the ability to like don't do much else than stay disappointed. This phenomenon is based in commonly know psychology. They don't like themselves or the position they have in society. All too weak to turn their lives around. I look past the problems to see the solutions. I play Unreal Tournament 3 because I like it, in fact, we all do.
Bahaha! This is a good example of how much a crock of sh*t psychology is.

People don't like the game because they were expecting ownage and got a 5/10 game at best. I don't think it's wrong of someone to expect something great out of a studio like Epic, especially given the other awesome games that came out around the same time that set a bar for Epic. They certainly did their best to play the game up but all that hype only left people extremely disappointed.

Forum trolls, on the other hand, have nothing better to do. But everyone else is/was a part of the community and wanted to like UT3 and are hoping for something better in the near future -- ie patches that fix the multitudes of problems, new maps, new characters/vehalaks, etc.