New UDK Showcase: Dungeon Defense

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Dungeon Defense is described as a tower defense/action RPG hybrid. The game asks you to build defenses in your lair against invading armies. More surprisingly, the game supports 4-player co-op (I believe on a single machine, though) and development has been fully documented in developer blogs with the full source code available.

Additionally, Steve Polge and the game's creator, Jeremy Stieglitz, will be on the 1up Oddcast at around 2:00 PM PST.

Links to the developer blog, developer diary videos, source code and plenty more screenshots can be found on the Epic Games forums.

To get more information and download the title, head to the showcase page.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
“Dungeon Defense” Available Now as Free Download

Demo for the latest Unreal Development Kit-powered game released today; more details to follow in today’s 1UP Oddcast

GAINESVILLE, FL (February 4, 2010) – Trendy Entertainment announce the demo release of “Dungeon Defense,” its new project developed with the Unreal Development Kit (UDK), the free edition of Epic Games’ award-winning Unreal Engine 3 available at www.udk.com.

“Dungeon Defense” is a tower defense and action role-playing game (RPG) hybrid created entirely with UDK in just four weeks. Supporting up to four contenders, “Dungeon Defense” challenges players to fend off hundreds of invading enemies by summoning magical defenses. The goal is to team up and fight with the help of three friends, beat the developers’ high scores and reach the coveted tenth wave of opponents.

“Dungeon Defense” demonstrates the ability to rapidly design full-featured content with the suite of UDK tools. The game's development process has been detailed step-by-step in a series of developer blogs, and the full source code is available for anyone to use for UDK projects. “Dungeon Defense” is available for download at www.udk.com/showcase-dungeon-defense.html. The game’s source code, a gameplay trailer and developer blogs explaining the UDK development process can be obtained at forums.epicgames.com/announcement.php?a=13.

An interview with “Dungeon Defense” creator Jeremy Stieglitz and Epic Games Lead Programmer Steve Polge will air on today’s 1UP Oddcast at approximately 2:00 p.m. PST. Tune in at www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3172958.

About Trendy Entertainment

Trendy Entertainment is composed of designer and programmer Jeremy Stieglitz, environment artist Morgan Roberts, character artist Brook Buckelew, audio designer Afshin Toufighian, visual effects artist Josh Javaheri and animator Jason Hillhouse. As experienced game developers, for the Trendy team creating games is a passionate process of finding the fun, which is made all the more enjoyable when driven by Unreal Technology. In the weeks ahead, they're looking forward to building on the “Dungeon Defense” foundation to create the ultimate tower defense action RPG. For more information, visit www.trendyent.com.

Unreal, Unreal Development Kit and the Unreal Engine are trademarks or registered trademarks of Epic Games, Inc. in the United States of America and elsewhere. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Dest

DA Team
Oct 6, 2004
bikini bottom tbh!
Nice game! It needs alot more build time!! I get tons op mana and absolutly not enough time to build up the defence. So I can't get past wave 5.. :gonk:

edit: got to level 7, when I tried to cast a mana bomb, the horde killed me :/

edit: level 8 now, they destoyed my cristal

Last edited:

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
This is an excellent game to show off to people who swear up and down that you can only make graybrown FPS games with udk.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
They are supposedly using this to create a full featured paid version.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Yeah on solo, wave 5 is rather bitchy with the build time allowed. Kinda fun game, but I really see this game played online rather alone, especially with those 3 paths. I'd kinda prefer to see this game use player-specific abilities, and have levels designed for specific number of players (Or at least balance it out). The build thing is rather meh-ish after a while. But I found the jump&shoot experience rather interesting for the genre. so this makes me want, again, player-specific abilities. Like the mana bomb, for instance. Which I got to try once.

This game was made in 4 weeks, it's pretty damn impressive work overall they got there for the build time.

Well, I'm still getting used to the controls. Feels a bit weird..

I thought the controls were pretty good.

Last edited: