StarCraft II

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Sep 24, 2005
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]PC Minimum Requirements:
• Windows XP SP3/Vista SP1/Windows 7
• 2.2 Ghz Pentium IV or equivalent AMD Athlon processor
• 1 GB system RAM/1.5 GB for Vista and Windows 7
• 128 MB NVidia GeForce 6600 GT/ATI Radeon 9800 PRO video card
• 1024x768 minimum display resolution
• 4 GB free hard space (Beta)
• Broadband connection
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
WTH? A resolution requirement?
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] I found that _somewhere_ , is this real?[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Files are floating around that let you bypass Bnet login and watch replays.

Good times, good times:)

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Here's a slightly more pro perspective: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=112839

A lot of the people in the beta right now are WoW players or just people that don't have a clue in general. People that I'm sure almost all of us would be able to beat fairly handily. Although I do think some of the insights I'm seeing are very interesting. Stuff that I simply did not anticipate.

Each race has some sort of special ability to help them get their economy going. For instance the Terrans can upgrade their command center to a planetary control center. This gives them special abilities including the ability to bring down a mule. It's basically a supercharged SCV. It doesn't last forever, but it seriously increases your minerals intake, and all it takes to use it is a little energy. That energy can also be used to call in a free supply depot. So if you forget to plan ahead and get stuck at the unit limit you have an easy out. The Protoss have an ability that can speed up the construction of buildings.

So managing your base turns into a completely different sort of thing. Before a lot of effort was spent telling your workers to mine, or slowly making buildings one by one. Now it's like all of the bottlenecks that hindered you before have been removed. Before good micro had a lot to do with just being able to manage a lot of stuff at once. Now it's more about just managing those 2-3 important things really well.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Here's a slightly more pro perspective: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=112839

A lot of the people in the beta right now are WoW players or just people that don't have a clue in general. People that I'm sure almost all of us would be able to beat fairly handily. Although I do think some of the insights I'm seeing are very interesting. Stuff that I simply did not anticipate.

Each race has some sort of special ability to help them get their economy going. For instance the Terrans can upgrade their command center to a planetary control center. This gives them special abilities including the ability to bring down a mule. It's basically a supercharged SCV. It doesn't last forever, but it seriously increases your minerals intake, and all it takes to use it is a little energy. That energy can also be used to call in a free supply depot. So if you forget to plan ahead and get stuck at the unit limit you have an easy out. The Protoss have an ability that can speed up the construction of buildings.

So managing your base turns into a completely different sort of thing. Before a lot of effort was spent telling your workers to mine, or slowly making buildings one by one. Now it's like all of the bottlenecks that hindered you before have been removed. Before good micro had a lot to do with just being able to manage a lot of stuff at once. Now it's more about just managing those 2-3 important things really well.

WoW noobs point in case: Watching a replay in a game with an automine function and STILL seeing idle SCV's on three bases.

Some people will never learn:D

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
I don't think this will be a dealbreaker for anyone but it doesn't make sense.

Text and other stuff would probably get hard to read/see at resolutions below 1024x768, or they would have to squeeze stuff onto the HUD making it busier, putting you at a disadvantage against people with a higher res. Making 1024x768 the minimum keeps people at the same level in terms of game readability.

It's not like you need a high end PC to run it, and anyway, who uses a monitor that doesn't support 1024x768 these days? :s

Last edited:

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
WoW noobs point in case: Watching a replay in a game with an automine function and STILL seeing idle SCV's on three bases.

Some people will never learn:D

Some of these people don't even know how to mine gas. So yeah there's a lot of complete n00bs. It's good to have all sorts of skill levels. This game looks to be extremely fun when you are playing with people of your own skill level. However, at the same time we need to be adding people that are at least capable of playing. I'll be interested to see how many people stop playing simply because they aren't capable of anything beyond WoW.

Sep 24, 2005
You're right. But it piles up a bit.

Three games, no Lan, silly requirements... Have the people who make PC games these days even played a _single_ PC game?

...PC gaming is dead. ;)

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Nice little detail: One of the "units under attack" notices for Terran Battlecruisers sound exactly like Admiral Ackbar yelling IT'S A TRAP!

I'm serious. It actually sounds like him :p

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
Last edited:

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
They've had a million years to work on it.

And about 50 quadribillion dollars, considering the 11.5 million users paying them $15 a month.
Obviously it costs a fortune to run and maintain that thing, but I can't imagine it's anywhere near putting a dent into their net profit.

Wulff

Bola Gun fun anyone?
May 25, 2004
Netherlands
Watched a few replays of pro players, terran turtling can be very effective in annoying an an enemy with superior amount of resources to quit.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Sooo I've been playing quite a few of SC2 beta with the AI crack made by some guys.

I have toyed around a bit and I'm really impatient to play the versus the retail AI. The game is quite solid from what I could tell so far and the Zerg has interesting variations from SC1. Their production process really requires THAT specific building for pretty much every units. You also need to mutate for Lair before you can build a Hydralisk Den. They're more effective this time around.

One of the thing that I like about SC2 is that you do start with more workers, and each minerals gathered represents 5, it's a bit easier to guess when you have eyes on your resources.

Also the character portraits are interesting, one of the funniest quote I ran trough has to be the SCV dude - "AAAAhh, you scared me!" as you click on them sometimes. Cracks me up every time. :D

Looking forward to the full build for sure.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
That's one thing that's being discussed about Zerg quite frequently over at teamliquid forums. Zerg, as of now, is missing a bit of variety, which makes them very easy to scout (as Kantham mentioned above me).

If you compare the Zerg 'interesting' units to those of other races, they come up a bit short.

Protoss has got AoE/DOT spells (psi storm), damage to casters (Feedback), Blink, Guardian shield and forcefield on the sentry (support unit), Archon warp (fuse two depleted casters into an attack unit), and several units with interesting attack mechanics such as Void ray, mothership and +damage to armored/light like Immortals and Colossi.

About the same for Terran.

Zerg, on the other hand, has mostly regular attack units. Muta, Hydra, Zergling, Roach, etc... All they do is attack.
Sure, they can burrow, but that's not nearly as cool as the other two races' abilities.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Zerg, on the other hand, has mostly regular attack units. Muta, Hydra, Zergling, Roach, etc... All they do is attack.
Sure, they can burrow, but that's not nearly as cool as the other two races' abilities.

It's not so much that as it is the actual units. The zerg has plenty of interesting stuff going with creep, and queens. The problem is that the Zerg spellcasters are just zzz. I just flat out don't understand the usefulness of any of their special abilities.