random lockups after installing GF3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

FireSlash

Whats a FireSlash?
Feb 3, 2001
Central Ohio
www.unrealannihilation.com
i recently upgraded my VC to get rid of my old voodoo, now it randomly locks. usually once every 2 matches, whens theres alo of action. it locks 1 of 2 ways,
1) game lock: game still ticks, continues, but all inputs no longer work, i can still alt+tab out though.
2) complete system lock.

specs:

AMD 1.0 ghz athlon t-bird (266 fsb) OCed to 1.125 ghz (below normal temps, 82ºF)
Shuttle AK11 rev3.3
MSI GeForce 3 Ti200 (at Ti500 speeds, runs cool and locks nowhere else, extra cooling (others run this same card at faster speeds on stock cooling stable))
Windows XP corp.
384 meg PC133 SDram (20/15ns)
using Direct3D, all high detal, 1152, 2nd disk texies.

the config might look iffy but it has been 110% stable everywhere else.

Crager

Ahh...just a player here
Apr 30, 2000
NY
www.teamimmortal.org
Have you tried running it with your system at it's normal specs?

I thought you had to be running in opengl to see the advantage of the the textures from the 2nd cd?

DeaJae

taking a month's break
May 7, 2001
England
www.littleportitservices.co.uk
the new D3d dll handle S3TC textures under D3D but if i were you i wouldn't touch it, you ain't using the windows default drivers are you fireslash? go grab XP_23.11 from Nvidia if you are. 27.70 has a weird Vsync always on issue i ain't solved yet.
oh and change the render if you upgrade your video card drivers laways, even minor driver updates.

don't tell me you actaully used the windows drivers!!!!!

Exar Kun [Sith]

Sith Lord
Sep 11, 2001
A Sith Temple
Visit site
Best bet would be doing what Blaze-22 and DeaJae said. Clock the card back down to the normal specs test and increase in increments of 5 and test until it locks up, then bring it back down a couple of notches until it runs perfectly stable. Also have the latest drivers for everything.

To me it sounds like an overclocking problem. I've found that 2 of the same card both don't overclock the same. One may go higher than the other with out a problem with the stock cooling. Sometimes extra cooling helps but depends on the card. If it still locks up at the defualt specs then I would say drivers or software issues.

FireSlash

Whats a FireSlash?
Feb 3, 2001
Central Ohio
tried it at normal speeds, still locks.

im using the detonator XP drivers (no, i NEVER use windows default drivers if i can help it ;))

ver "2.3.1.2" (as listed in the card properties)

and i dont use OGL because of very very very noticable speed drips when i do (ala 50%) and fuzzy text in UWindow.

FireSlash

Whats a FireSlash?
Feb 3, 2001
Central Ohio
Originally posted by Exar Kun [Sith]
Must be drivers or a software problem then. You did say that it only happens in UT?

yup.

however, incase this isnt normal, i had to click the show un-supported drivers button to get D3D and OGL to show on the UT driver setup thingamajig. it showed Glide and software :con:

Exar Kun [Sith]

Sith Lord
Sep 11, 2001
A Sith Temple
Visit site
Hmmm, thats not good if it showed glide or software then either some 3dfx drivers are still lurking about or UT is still thinking you have the voodoo card.

A couple of options:

1. Since its only UT you might need to do a fresh install of it. I think some games are like this if you have change 3d cards (especially if its different brands) they need to be reinstalled but I'm not sure if UT is one of those type.

2.Be careful when doing this. Look around the windows and system directories looking for anything with 3dfx in the file name and anyfile that has glide in the name for remnants of 3dfx drivers. Also see anything like that is still in the registry. If you find any delete them and see if that helps. Also since you use to have a V3 look for any files with Voodoo 3 in them or v3. Hopefully doing it this way may help you avoid having to reformat to make sure its all gone. (Sometimes reformating is a last resort when it comes to trying to get rid of 3d card drivers from other companies)

Crager

Ahh...just a player here
Apr 30, 2000
NY
www.teamimmortal.org
Originally posted by DeaJae
23.12.... you want to get rid of that one d00d its microsofts post XP release driver. caused power management problems on mine like you described above (it went into suspend mode rather than crashed)

I had the 23.11's and I started getting blue screens...I installed the ms update 23.12's and they have been OK for me.

I'm using Win XP home. I have a GF2 MX 400 64. Maybe I'll try the 27.xx's.

Beowolf

hail to the king
Feb 2, 2003
barracksnetwork.com
You might want to try to go into the BIOS - Hardware/monitor and set voltage to 7.5 instead of the (default) 5.0. My cmputer would constantly lock up, whether in a game or sometimes just surfing the net, and this fixed it.

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
BeoWolf said:
You might want to try to go into the BIOS - Hardware/monitor and set voltage to 7.5 instead of the (default) 5.0. My cmputer would constantly lock up, whether in a game or sometimes just surfing the net, and this fixed it.

7.5V ???? You must be kidding.

X

Soul on Ice
Apr 24, 2000
ON,CA
Hunter said:
did u uninstall the voodoo card before putting the gf3 in?

by the sounds of it ut still things ur card is the voodoo and maybe a reinstall of ut?

You're semi right, the problem does come from not uninstalling the original drivers for the voodoo, but a reinstall of ut won't do a thing.

My suggestion would be to a) delete 3dfx.dll in your windows directory and try again, or just do b) uninstall the voodoo drivers.