Thinking of giving UT3 another chance...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

randyannie

Prozac
Oct 13, 2004
Pensacola, FL
What's up everyone. As of late I've been thinking of giving UT3 another chance. I'm not going to lie, I'm in a UT2004 Clan that has been active since 2004. We play every night without fail.

We tried UT3 when it first came out and even had our own private clan server, but we pretty much all hated the game because it was a big letdown from UT2004, so we shut it down. The one thing I really liked about it were the weapons and the more modern looking graphics.

But I quickly closed my mind because I didn't think I could make the transition. Lately I thought I might reinstall it just to goof off a bit. Has the game improved since it first came out? I just love playing shooters and even if it didn't meet my expectations in comparison to UT2K4 doesn't necessarily mean UT3 is a bad game. So I'm thinking of trying it again.

What say you? Thanks, Prozac :)

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
Well, they released 5 patches since release and most of the bugs are probably fixed. However, you are horribly late to the party and will be very lucky if you still find populated servers online. Competitively it is pretty much completely dead by now.

randyannie

Prozac
Oct 13, 2004
Pensacola, FL
I see. Wow that surprises me. UT2K4 still has a good number of populated servers. I may go ahead and install it just to play death match offline. Might even do the single player campaign.

Do you think that many of the original UT3 players, began to not like the game as well, because it didn't meet their expectations???? :eek:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Make sure you install MapMixer and Blossom.

And yes, it has improved. Mostly thanks to the two things I just mentioned. And if you think that UT2004 has plenty of servers, then you are an optimist like me and will see UT3 as having a decent amount of players.

The SP campaign isn't that bad. The best part of it is that you can play it co-op. That's my favourite gametype in UT3, but unfortunately there are not many servers for it.

oldkawman

Master of Your Disaster
There are populated servers depending on the time of day and your location. I play almost every night on the US east coast.

I remember many players did not like UT3 because they had crap computers. There were whole UT2004 clans who decided not to play UT3 because of the hardware requirements. UT3 required a high end PC to play well back when it first came out. I remember hearing that as one of the prime reasons many did not like UT3. If your PC is too slow, it's difficult to play well and the experience is not so good. You really need at least the recommended, but your much better off with something much much better.

randyannie

Prozac
Oct 13, 2004
Pensacola, FL
This is not the case. We all build our own gaming rigs and they are fast...we all just thought the game itself sucked. I guess that turned out to be true since it seems to be dwindling in players.

randyannie

Prozac
Oct 13, 2004
Pensacola, FL
UT2004 is still being played after 7 years, but it's a better game that requires far more skill than UT3. IMHO I guess the fact that UT3 is dead after just 3 years says something.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
UT2004 is still being played after 7 years, but it's a better game that requires far more skill than UT3. IMHO I guess the fact that UT3 is dead after just 3 years says something.

No, because UT2004 had a good start, whereas UT3 started bad, then improved a lot, but it was too late.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
2k4 didn't require more skill, all 2k4 required was getting the ltg and shock on spawn and you were set.

randyannie

Prozac
Oct 13, 2004
Pensacola, FL
Naw I don't buy that. I know many players that if you spawned with shock and lg and they spawned with a flak cannon, because they moved so fast and well, they'd be in you're face with a kill shot post haste.

Advantage quickness. In 2k4 movement trumps all. That was one of the big disappointments in ut3. No dodging = slow movements.

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
There is dodging in UT3...

I'm personally glad the flightiness of UT2004 is gone in UT3. If you are not, then it seems fairly likely you cut your UT teeth on 2k4 instead of good ol UT. That seems to be the trend.

While you may not be able to dodge boost anymore, it is still the most movement skill based of the current generation of shooters.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
Believe it or not, there's still a group of people who play UT99 capture-the-flag pretty competitively in 5v5 PUG matches. (This may come as a shock, but many UT99 fans rejected the movement style of UT 2003/2004.) When UT 2003 was released, many people were very disappointed.

I like UT 2004, but for Onslaught and the Invasion RPG mod. I didn't think it did too well for CTF or Bombing Run because it was too hitscan based with the floaty-dodgeyness. (Interestingly, Onslaught and Invasion-RPG are still somewhat alive while UT 2004 CTF and Bombing Run are dead, go figure.) Epic totally missed the boat with Double Domination, failing to simply include a standard "classic" Domination game.

UT3's biggest problem was that upon release, it was a consolized abomination that felt like a Beta release. The server browser barely functioned, and the user interface was clunky and slow. The game didn't seem to handle auto-downloads for custom content very well. Some people didn't like the Gears-of-Warrified looks.

Last edited:

Hideinlight

May 12, 2008
Check out my new movement mutator:
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?p=2520912#post2520912

I've limited dodge-jumping to the single jump wall dodge. In other words you need to use the level to your advantage and UT3 movement when not near a wall.
If you move from wall to wall, you become somewhat predictable and an easier target for splash damage projectiles.
If your in the open, your somewhat more vulnerable to hitscan weapons, so in theory it also balances the hitscan vs projectle dominance issue between UT2004 and UT3.

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Thinking about it, it would probably have a lot more players in the Titan Pack was released as a different game and wouldn't be free. Which is ironic.