The 'My Smartphone Sucks' Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
The iPhone 3G was the first true smartphone I'd ever owned. Before that, I had a couple of low-end Blackberries and a high-end Samsung phone that came close, but they weren't smartphones. The iPhone was a mixed bag for me; it was sleek and fast (at first) and the battery life and call quality were good. However, over time I started to see how limited the device really was.

I just recently ditched my iPhone for the Motorola Atrix. By comparison, the Atrix is like a tiny god. In terms of hardware it's by far the most powerful smartphone on the market, with some people going so far as to call it a superphone. The UI is blazing fast in terms of response time and graphical smoothness, and high-end games like Gun Bros perform very well on the device.

With all that said, there are three major drawbacks to this device. The first is that the battery, while being gigantic at 1950mah, drains very quickly after the first few days of usage. Even using resource-saving apps like Advanced Task Killer and Juice Defender doesn't help much. I can go to work with a full charge, let the phone sit (without using it or even picking it up) and by the time I leave work I have roughly 50% of life left. If I actually use the phone, even moderately, I have had it below 20% by the time I leave work. With that in mind I'm getting about 15-20 hours of standby, and maybe a couple hours of actual usage/talk time. This is unacceptable.

The second drawback is the locked bootloader. No Cyanogen on the Atrix anytime soon.

The third drawback, and this is the ringer, is the horrible call quality. I frequently have people on the other line going "What did you just say?" or "I think we're on a bad line." Nobody can understand a word I'm saying unless I use the speakerphone, which oddly enough is crystal clear. This is the reason I am considering taking the phone back and switching it for something else.

Despite how much I hate Apple, I am seriously considering trading the Atrix for an iPhone 4, the main reason being that I already know what to expect. I know that, for the most part, iPhones 'just work' and don't have any large detractors (except Steve Jobs and his rage against Flash.)

So, do you hate your smartphone? Discuss.

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I have a G2 and I love it. The only thing that sucks is that android apps are woefully unstable, so things like my This American Life app will crash every other time.

~Jason

lovebug

Dec 26, 2009
I have the HTC Desire, I love it. Much better than the iphone 3 I used to have. The battery life is better with task killer and the apps i download are free. Runs BuF perfectly too!! :D

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I have an Atrix that I got about 2 weeks ago and I love it. I haven't had any trouble with call quality and my battery stays pretty well charged. I have, of course, rooted it, which some people say improves the battery life quite a bit. I also only have a handful of widgets on. I'm using GOLauncher EX. Much better than MotoPoop.

My biggest complaints are:

1) The camera in indoor/night shooting can get pretty grainy. However in heavy light/outdoors situations it is WAY better than my iPhone 3GS was.

2) The headphone jack doesn't seem to really work with any of the headsets I currently have. I think I'm going to go for the Motorola HD10 bluetooth headset. It supposedly works on all kinds of devices and I'm sick of the wired headset game (I have at least a dozen from different phones).

3) The locked bootloader is really freaking annoying. However, with root and a different launcher I'm at least happy with what my phone can do (sideloading, mobile hotspot, etc).

I'm honestly never going back to Apple. Maybe the memory is too fresh in my mind but I REALLY hate their environment and culture. I love the fact that I can develop for my Atrix at home on Windows or Linux, at work on Windows or Linux or Mac... There is just so much that the iPhone is lacking in order to create a cultivated walled garden that it drives me absolutely bonkers. Knowing what to expect when I know so much better is out there is really just not worth it to me.

BTW, when your Atrix battery gets weak you can buy a new one. :p

Peavey

Rattus Norvegicus
Jul 17, 2001
Why, they're the only reason worth reading 90% of threads on BuF!

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
I just got an HTC Hero, it was my brother's old phone. I actually quite like it. Before this one I had some old Nokia thing, so it's quite a switch. I do think that smartphones are a little ahead of themselves though. They are sluggish when doing certain things, that you would otherwise expect the phone to be quite quick about. Seems that the new Nexus S is way faster. My brother got one of those to replace the Hero. It has twice as much CPU power, so that's really interesting. I think I'll invest in a really good smartphone around the next generation. Hopefully we'll also have 4G network by then.

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
whats a tag?

Look underneath the last post in the thread!

- I haven't got a smart phone, I'm still using a dumb old 'stupid phone', but it does what it should do without exploding. I considered getting a smart phone, but the novelty would probably wear off quite quickly.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Despite how much I hate Apple, I am seriously considering trading the Atrix for an iPhone 4, the main reason being that I already know what to expect. I know that, for the most part, iPhones 'just work' and don't have any large detractors (except Steve Jobs and his rage against Flash.)

So, do you hate your smartphone? Discuss.

Do it, or actually wait for the iPhone 5 if possible. The iPhone 4 is amazing, but like you said, it lacks flash. Doesn't bother me at all though since there are alternatives in place for many websites and I'm not one of those people that need to be perfectly in the cloud 24/7. Also, there's an app for that. Dropped calls suck too if you hold it wrong, which is another reason to wait for the iPhone 5.

I'm gonna have to wait for the Bionic and test it to see if it's really worth switching over to android or wait till the iPhone 5.

Sir Brizz said:
BTW, when your Atrix battery gets weak you can buy a new one.

Funny thing is my iphone 4 hasn't lost any battery life and it's still has the best battery life for a phone that I've seen.

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Oh, actually, my complaint is that the G2 camera is merely so-so. I wouldn't mind something actually nice when zoomed in on.

~Jason

Advanced Task Killer is more likely to hurt your battery life that to help it.

Not only this but maybe you got a defunct one. I have been streaming Pandora Radio from my phone (not over Wifi, but over the H+) for the past few weeks with my Atrix. I start it up at about 7:30am and it plays until 5pm, non-stop. I have 15% battery life left at the end of the day. And then I can talk for about 20 mins before it shuts off. Sideloading is easy as pie too. I've done quite a bit of it, and it couldn't be simpler really. I have that Beautiful Widgets and weather turned on, which I know also uses up battery life, but still, at the end of the day I do have some life left, even after streaming pandora all day long. So as far as the battery goes, I don't know why you have issues with it. I did the OTA update which actually improved the battery too.

Maybe you can trade yours in for another Atrix and see if that helps at all? I know not every phone is perfect right out of the box. We had to return an iphone because the damn thing wouldn't stay on for more than 5 hours.

I'll never buy another iphone. iPhone 5 is only supposed to be mediocre at best, so I don't give a crap about it tbh. Plus the Android OS is so much better imo once I got used to it. I love my Atrix, and I'm completely happy with it. I don't have any phone call quality issues or anything that you are having DarkED, so I think it may be that actually phone itself. I certainly don't get nearly as many dropped calls as I did with my iPhone though. Which is great.

Last edited:

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
I actually just got switched to an Aria, and am loving it. Its an older, budget phone, but its been wiped and is running Cyanogen mod 7 nightly 52, and everything works.

Currently love streaming my entire mp3 catalog at work with audiogalaxy, and also got my hands on a navionics app that supplies contoured maps of lakes for my fishing habits. I've wanted a handheld gps unit for awhile as the tracking is very useful for the type of fishing I do, and instead of $150+ for the unit plus a $30 chip with the maps, I paid $15 and get the entire feature set I'm after. My only gripe is that I haven't found a good setup to play the NES/SNES/Genesis emulators. They run fine, but the control schemes just don't seem to work well on a touch screen.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Funny thing is my iphone 4 hasn't lost any battery life and it's still has the best battery life for a phone that I've seen.
Bad form, sir. How old is your iPhone 4? Right. DarkED is the first person I've seen complaining about such poor battery life. My Atrix stays on 24/7, I unplug it from the charger at about 8am and don't plug it back in until after 7pm and I still have over 50% battery life. It's honestly better than my wife's iPhone 4 that way (hers runs down to about 30% after being "on" all day long).

My 3GS phone battery was starting to get weak. I needed to plug it in around 3pm to make sure I'd have enough battery to last me until I got to a charger. Unfortunately, the iPhone battery is WYSIWYG. No replacing that guy. So when battery life gets bad, get used to it or buy a new one.