Mark Rein "Excited for Unreal Tournament Comeback"

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Very interesting to watch. However, it sounds way too good to be true. With the UT3 demo coming out, epic spokesmen also said they were going to listen to the community. But while the community pretty much pointed out unanimously that the interface was terrible and some concrete things could have been done about it (like...not having the interface asking 'are you sure?' every other time), it simply went completely ignored until much later (UT3 black, if I remember the name of that patch correctly).

Still...I can't deny I miss those UT2004 days. A lot.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site

TW! :wavey:

IMO, the biggest challenges are going to be:

- scope management - tons of ideas will be coming in from the community. Having clearly defined boundaries of "this is what we will and won't do" will keep the project from becoming bloated and slipping.

- information management - again, lots of information, ideas, and thoughts will be coming from the community. Being able to successfully gather, group, prioritize, and filter will be a major challenge.

- decision making - not everything the community asks for will make it into the game, obviously. In addition, there will be things that a large percentage of the community will ask for that won't make it into the game. How does Epic manage those decisions? If half the community wants something, and the other half doesn't want it, how will Epic handle?

In the end, there will be much, much more information Epic will have to handle than any other project before. I hope they have developed a plan to manage it (and IMO, it will require a management team more than just a Sr. Programmer/Project Lead). Otherwise, this will struggle.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
true, but i still want a box. my ut99, 2003, 2004 & ut3 (collectors edition, first time preorder) are still on display in my living room. even have to fight for that showcase spot... you catch the drift (hint: :nag: )

not going to preorder this time tho. my disappointment after installing ut3 and seeing it was basically the demo (with all its flaws) with more maps branded me forever :shake:

Fair enough on all points......

~SS~

May 5, 2014
I hope there's strict quality control, otherwise this game is going to an inconsistent mess. at least with the other games there was a nice solid core of content with predictable quality.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
TW! :wavey:

IMO, the biggest challenges are going to be:

- scope management - tons of ideas will be coming in from the community. Having clearly defined boundaries of "this is what we will and won't do" will keep the project from becoming bloated and slipping.

- information management - again, lots of information, ideas, and thoughts will be coming from the community. Being able to successfully gather, group, prioritize, and filter will be a major challenge.

- decision making - not everything the community asks for will make it into the game, obviously. In addition, there will be things that a large percentage of the community will ask for that won't make it into the game. How does Epic manage those decisions? If half the community wants something, and the other half doesn't want it, how will Epic handle?

In the end, there will be much, much more information Epic will have to handle than any other project before. I hope they have developed a plan to manage it (and IMO, it will require a management team more than just a Sr. Programmer/Project Lead). Otherwise, this will struggle.
As usual, Ren is right.

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
The impression I got is that they expect the community to make most of it.
They're not charging money, give feedback, tutorials and even the editor (though I've no idea how that'll work with that leasing plan for their engine editor). In return they want the community to step in and provide feedback, maps, models and whatnot. Yeah...in the end, the community will do the most work, that's for certain. What I'm wondering, though, is what THEY get. Is publicity still needed for them?

As usual, Ren is right.
I agree on this! My experience with working with shared ideas on the internet is that everyone has their own ideas. And with a wildly diverse universe and 2 completely different styles (UT99/UT3 and UT2003/4), this certainly will take some heavy discussions. :\

(note: this isn't UT-related in any way. On that front, I've got nothing but good experiences. But this was also because mappers didn't just listen to every yahoo with an opinion on a beta map).

CaSCaDe

gaem freak in 3 dimensions
Apr 7, 2000
somewhere you are not!
www.bart.ahk.nl
damn its like getting the band back together, and free. i like the approach of this. now if they can get me some mapping tools without having to pay the $20 i will be one happy puppy. but i guess its not that bad of a price-tag considering the actual game is free. CTF-Hydro16 anyone? ;)

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Okay, I did it again. A new desktop background for the new UT. Enjoy!

This one is 1920x1080, but I can go up to 4000x2250 upon request.

[screenshot]http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/128/0/e/unreal_tournament_wallpaper_by_crotale-d7holbi.jpg[/screenshot]

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I think ive seen your work.
Its this one, right?
[SCREENSHOT]http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/gg596/chongleebnw/Open%20Tournament%20Picture%20Depot/01_zpsc8c3a059.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Looking good so far :)

Yeah it does. Maybe there shouldn't be too many changes applied. Think about it, some windows added showing a great forest outside, valley etc. plenty of sunlight poaring in. A clean look, but not sterile. Actually, I wonder how many deck iterations do have something along these lines implemented? Normally people follow the typical lay-out (and colours I guess as well? Regretably). But it would be nice. Or maybe instead of a lush world, it could effectively be in space. Some spaceship in orbit of a red, blue star. Or near a galaxy. Sots starlight seeping in...

Just rambling here :)

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
Ironic for a UT remake using a new engine to look like a flat pro-oriented world any old engine could do. At that point they've already reached the ideal vision of a game designed for a competitive player.

I pray UT4 does not become this unappealing.