I'm trying to be a good mapper...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[KMA]LazyMapper

Not Cliffy B
May 27, 2001
In Bed
But there is something missing...
Iv'e got a lot to learn.
Just like everyone one else, i've churned out some utter crap in my time.
But i learn. I make maps over and over again. One day i might be like our clan leader, but she's left handed (*dammit*) so that might be something to do with it. Or not. I was once told "maybe mapping just isn't your thing" but i din't belive them. I learned from the ground up. Cliffy B says my maps can only bre up to 400 poly's. Morpheus is a good map right? At 1100 polys? Hmm... i dream of maxing cliffy b's ownage list, only dream.
"Today i made a map. I thought it was good for about an hour then realised how rubbish it is" but at leasy i learned...
;) never mid hey, cliffy B is full of shi:t anyway.....
but then am i taking it all to seriosly? We as mappers, modlers, skinners, and coders can make no real effect on the world as it exists, but we as people can make a difference, give people a freindly hand with whatever thier task may be. They say violent games destroy our minds, but this one just brings us all together...
icon9.gif
A toast - to our youth and ability

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
I can't explain what good mapping is, basically, you have to put your spirit into it, and don't be afraid to modify or change an idea you are working on.

Remember, its easier to make good looking maps if you use proper scale, while building your map, add a bot in there to see scale with the roof, halls, etc.

Don't go for the best stuff right away, and don't try for ownage on first map.

Make small maps at first, and work your way up, once you get used to the feeling of getting detail and beauty into a small map, you can proceed to a larger map.

That's basically it, there is more, but I don't know how to explain it. :)

If you need help, I'm usually in #unrealed at irc.enterthegame.com .

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
Oh! Get people to beta test your map, even if you think it's crappy, for all you know, it could be great, and you are just sick of it.

A faster system also helps, it rebuilds faster, and allows you to do more mapping instead of more rebuilding.

Lighting: Don't go overboard on color, keep it within a good range.

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
Type "Stat fps" into the console to see the on-screen poly/nodecount.

I don't believe that any of the good mappers had a perfect first/second/third map. It's really amusing how much you learn with making a simple DM map. If your first map is kwhap then don't be pissed off...try your luck on a second one. It will be definately better if you had learnt from your mistakes. Be open to criticism...it's your best friend. First time you'll be angry to read bad things about your map but if you don't take it as an offence but take it as advice you won't commit those mistakes in your next map.
Also you must recognize good constructive criticism..."It's p00!" isn't a good example for fine criticism. It won't help you improve but it'll give you a fine idea of the person's lameness who said it...:D
Try to get your beta testing team from different groups of people. (Mappers, players, your friends, DavidM ;) )
They'll give you opinions from different points of view. (Technical, gameplay...etc)

And one more word: Practice! :)

Good luck!