UE3 Coming to Mobile Devices

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Probably lots of people who learned that Epic wasn't bringing UE3 to the Wii platform figured that meant Epic would never be taking their engine outside the scope of the far-future, high density tech group or systems, however one of the editors over at Anandtech recently got together with Mark Rein and was shown a version of UE3 running on an iPod Touch 3G! Not only that, but the test build of this game seems to be based on UT3 and is absolutely the most amazing looking 3GS game I have ever seen. Take a look at the original story, as well as the screenshot reposts seen below...

Mark also mentioned that they were looking at other mobile platforms in the future, as well. Zune HD anyone?

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
What can I say - cool!
I don't own iPod nor Zune HD, but it is good to see more people can get to play UT3, even if it's in portable form.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
I don't think they have any technical difficulty doing that, but rather legal issues. Just a guess though.

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
That's a joke, right? They manage to port the engine it to clinical thermometers, but not to PC-based Linux distributions? :con:

It's where the money is.

How many linux boys (people who are willing to put up with a sub-par user experience for the geek points and the 0 upfront cost) are going to pay for UE3 games versus how many people will buy slick new apps for their mobile device (the kind of people who are already throwing money around on unneeded gadgets just because they are cool).

StreetPreacher

Mar 10, 2001
Absolutely amazing from a technological perspective, but I'm not sure that it'd be a lot of fun to play. I have an iPhone 3GS, and IMHO the platform just isn't well suited to free-movement FPS games b/c there's just no really good way to manage movement and aiming. As you can see in the video, the control mechanism that they're currently using has you sticking your finger right in the middle of the screen covering up the action, and dragging your finger multiple times to make a full 180 turn.

I really appreciate what they've done here and it really shows the flexibility of the engine, but I think "shooter on rails" games like Doom Resurrection and the MGS port are much better suited to the limitations of the platform.

As for why this and not Linux, that's simple: iPhone apps make money, and sell to people who might not otherwise buy a copy of UT3 (or who already have one).

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
That's a joke, right? They manage to port the engine it to clinical thermometers, but not to PC-based Linux distributions? :con:

Haha. Good point. I've maintained that PhysX is the reason UT3 hasn't been ported to Linux but if they've decoupled the physics engine from UE3 then yeah...

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
It's where the money is.

How many linux boys (people who are willing to put up with a sub-par user experience for the geek points and the 0 upfront cost) are going to pay for UE3 games versus how many people will buy slick new apps for their mobile device (the kind of people who are already throwing money around on unneeded gadgets just because they are cool).

I know of quite a few players who only bought UT3 because Epic promised there would be a Linux version. Others wanted to wait for the Linux release before actually buying the game, and thus haven't bought it yet and probably never will. Similar considerations apply to the Mac version.
Just imagine what would have happened if there was a fully-featured UT3 for Linux/Mac with all the dev tools available in the Windows version. Not only would there be more players, there would also be more mappers/modders to provide custom content.

Jazz

Oct 22, 2008
Russia, St. Petersburg
Haha, awesome news, I believe it's not much left to see Unreal on generic (in future) cellphones

Also, Linux/Mac versions obviously were in works (Icculus have no reason to fake screenshots), though no one can tell their current status now. No chances for Android then.

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
I know of quite a few players who only bought UT3 because Epic promised there would be a Linux version. Others wanted to wait for the Linux release before actually buying the game, and thus haven't bought it yet and probably never will. Similar considerations apply to the Mac version.
Just imagine what would have happened if there was a fully-featured UT3 for Linux/Mac with all the dev tools available in the Windows version. Not only would there be more players, there would also be more mappers/modders to provide custom content.

Yes, they need to do it! But the iPhone is likely more lucrative.

alex904

Feb 24, 2006
Epic is kidding us actually. This is not really an UE3, more like dumbed down version of UE3. Anyway, it's a cool thing and I wish they ported UT99 to iPhone/iPod. :)