R.I.P. Fragbu?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Well, that's it, the BeyondUnreal FragBU UT3 server is gone and will likely never come back in any official way.

If you're wondering why it was taken down, there's a few very good reasons why.

• For the last three months, a kind admin was paying out of pocket for an empty server.
  • No one has consistently played at FragBU for at least four months and the total number of players for that time span is less than 15.
  • No one likes UT3, or at least no one likes it enough to play at FragBU.

If you add up these reasons, you begin to understand that there's absolutely no reason to keep holding an even that no one shows up to. It's sad but it was bound to happen someday. UT3 was just the nail in the coffin.

I remember having to get to 2k3 and 2k4 FragBU events hours earlier than its start time because the server was always full. I always prayed that my system would load faster so I wouldn't loose my spot because I enjoyed the crazy fragging so much. UT3 FragBU was something different, it was more fun goofing around finding all those glitches instead of serious frags. Even then the fun for me seemed to eventually give way to annoyance at the level of buggy-ness the game had. I think I was one of the last people on the BU staff who cared enough about UT3 to try and breathe life in the game, but as you can see, it didn't work. So, I guess FragBU is gone for good, or at least until the next UT game comes out. You will be missed, FragBU.

What a sad day, a sad day indeed.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I didn't play there much because usually nobody joined in times I was in, so I went playing on other servers instead. Some euro servers are still full tho, so the game is not that "not played". But yeah...why pay for an empty server, although its sad news.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I played there like twice and the game felt like it was 10 years behind with all the ping.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I played there like twice and the game felt like it was 10 years behind with all the ping.

And that's from someone living on the same continent as the server. Imagine living in Europe and having about 10 FPS all the time or less.

These were my conditions when played there.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
This is really sad, but was definitely going to happen sooner or later. Just revel in the fact that during UT FragBU took a break as well and didn't come back until UT2003. When the next UT comes, we will be ready! :)

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
I only played in one once after JD pulled me in to it and I ended up having a blast. But even before taht one time, I had always heard of FragBU being a great thing for UT. So even though I never really did it, it is sad that it is gone.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
I miss the 2004 days, but I really haven't had a ton of interest in UT3. Will be missed and hopefully we'll all get together again.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
Just revel in the fact that during UT FragBU took a break as well and didn't come back until UT2003.
Likewise with 2k4 though it was brief in comparison.
I don't really have an excuse. I just had more fun playing when it was packed and that hasn't happened for a long time.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
This is really sad, but was definitely going to happen sooner or later. Just revel in the fact that during UT FragBU took a break as well and didn't come back until UT2003. When the next UT comes, we will be ready! :)

So, never. :(

This is really it people. There isn't going to be another Unreal Tournament.

Firefly

United Kingdom is not a country.
never say never. :)

It was the timing for me. Being in England meant no-one was ever on but I did manage to get a couple of good games with some of you guys.

I liked UT3 at first but I lost interest. I got Unreal Anthology for my B'day so I've drifted back to Unreal and UT99. Simple; UT's gameplay is spot on. My UT99 discs were crcing and I had long since sold my copy of U2 so it's nice to get the family back together again :)

Shame though but inevitiable.

Big thanks to the admin for bothering and paying for it though.

Last edited:

Exus Tecius

like diamonds in the sky
Sep 24, 2003
Visit site
Well, that's it, the BeyondUnreal FragBU UT3 server is gone and will likely never come back in any official way.

If you're wondering why it was taken down, there's a few very good reasons why.

• For the last three months, a kind admin was paying out of pocket for an empty server.
  • No one has consistently played at FragBU for at least four months and the total number of players for that time span is less than 15.
  • No one likes UT3, or at least no one likes it enough to play at FragBU.

If you add up these reasons, you begin to understand that there's absolutely no reason to keep holding an even that no one shows up to. It's sad but it was bound to happen someday. UT3 was just the nail in the coffin.

I remember having to get to 2k3 and 2k4 FragBU events hours earlier than its start time because the server was always full. I always prayed that my system would load faster so I wouldn't loose my spot because I enjoyed the crazy fragging so much. UT3 FragBU was something different, it was more fun goofing around finding all those glitches instead of serious frags. Even then the fun for me seemed to eventually give way to annoyance at the level of buggy-ness the game had. I think I was one of the last people on the BU staff who cared enough about UT3 to try and breathe life in the game, but as you can see, it didn't work. So, I guess FragBU is gone for good, or at least until the next UT game comes out. You will be missed, FragBU.

What a sad day, a sad day indeed.

JD you know i tried to install fragbu on ut99.it died out too.no much resonance.ppl here like tp prefer reading the forum more then playing the game.:eek:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I would have been on a lot more if I didn't have a 5-year old son.:) I did get on one night and wanted to try it again, but almost every time I found time to get on no one was on it. Sorry to see it go though.:(