Worth getting again?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MrPhunk

Aug 25, 2009
I have UT2004 but the disc is scratched so it's unplayable and therefore I can't reinstall it, I also have UT3 for ps3 but unfortunately there is no Invasion mod for it and also the community isn't great for playing mods. I loved playing invasion on UT2004 especially with RPG mutator, now I'm asking is it worth getting again? I can get it for £10 off Game's direct download.

Is the community still going strong and is there still a lot of people playing Invasion on it?

Bonus question: UT3 for PC is also £10, should I get that instead[already have it on ps3 for normal gameplay] and get the invasion mod for it or is UT2004 a better choice?

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I'd say you should get Unreal Anthology. It is really cheap now, last time I checked it was cheaper than the standalone UT2004, yet you get 4 great games with it. Since you like Invasion, you should also try out Unreal 1, that's what Invasion is based on.

poompoom500

DnM (aka Y_Knot?)
Jan 23, 2008
NJ, USA
www.angelfire.com
UT2K4...

:(To MrPhunk,

UT2K4 is an excellent game. And , yes, there a few die hards around. I play Killing Floor 2.5 mod myself. I'm sure there is a mod out there that you might take fancy to. Law Dogs, Troopers: Dawn of Destiny, etc...

Repgahroll

Sep 13, 2009
Actually, you can take any CD from anyone (from a friend) and install it using the serial on your box; you can even download the CD Image from some website and install the game using your serial number; you bought the software, the "virtual" thing, you bought the right to run the game on your PC, not the disc, not the plastic stuff :).

At least this is how it works in my country... i have dozens of backups of games that i broke the CD or simply lost it and my friends copied their owns or i downloaded from internet.

The problem is when people who don't bought the game use the backup to play it ilegally :(.

Sorry my english.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Yes, worth getting again!

EDIT: well, of course, the original UT is better but they're all great games! Just make sure if you get the Anthology to install all the games at once on the same computer (at least make absolutely sure you don't want one or two of the games and won't want them installed later). It can me done, but it is very difficult to just install one or two games and then go back and install another one at a different time. Kinda sucks that they made it this way, but it is what it is.:)

Last edited:

Kerr Avon

Jan 22, 2008
To be honest, I'd say get the original Unreal Tournament instead, as I personally think it's much better than any of it's sequels.

Just my opinion, of course, but a fair few people think the same (see the UT board to see what I mean). Of course, both games are available so cheaply now that you could buy both and see which you prefer.

Repgahroll

Sep 13, 2009
How's the AI on UT Classic?

The most impressive thing on UT2004 is the AI, which is better than many new games like BF2142 (man, those bots are completely retards... the AI is 2 times better on BF2) and it is very light, so i can run 63 bots without any lag or fps drop, the new UT3 has the most perfect AI that i ever saw... sometimes the bots acts just like real humans (but after 2mins you can notice the difference :D ) but the AI is too heavy... my poor processor fries to run a reasonable quantity of bots, but i'm sure a new top processor can handle the maximum number of bots without problems.

Sorry my english.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I hate UT2k4's bots. Annoying aimbots with an annoying habit to crouch all the ****ing time. Completely non-UT type of play.

UT1 bots are similar to the ones in UT3, just not as challenging.

Kerr Avon

Jan 22, 2008
The A.I. in the original UT is very good indeed. Almost everything about the game is good, and I recommend the two downloadable mutators XMaps, and Soul Harvest. And since any reasonable PC can now run UT at full speed with any settings, you shouldn't have any PC problems (except for a couple of problems with multicore CPUs or power saving settings, look in the UT forum on this site for help there).

Soul Harvest is a great idea where, when you kill someone, their "soul" (a transparent version of their body) floats slowly up to the sky. This prevents camping, as once someone dies no points are awarded, until someone touches the soul, whereupon it disappears and the person who touched it gets the point, unless they are on the same team as the victim, in which case no point is awarded at all, so a sniper would be too far away to get to the soul before it either floats off out of reach (upon which it disappears) or else someone else touches it. You can even touch your own soul, after you respawn, if you get there quick enough!

XMaps is an invaluable mutator that lets you call up an ingame control panel to reload the same or new map, change the game type, cycle through a preset list of maps, etc. Almost everything you'd ever want from such utility.

If you like Perfect Dark on the N64, I'd recommend downloading Mr Bond's Perfect Dark mod, which does a great job of remaking some of PD's maps. Sadly the mod needs a lot of work doing on it, as only some maps and some weapons are present, but it's still a very good mod indeed. And the Goldeneye multiplayer maps, though undetailed to look at, are still some of the best maps for any game, so I suggest you download the UT conversions of those too. And many other modders have made some superb UT mods - try Black Cheetah's mods, for a starting point. Weapons Factory Arena is very good, as is Unreal Fortress.

We're in 2009, and yet my two joint favourite PC games are still from 1999 and 2000 (Deus Ex), as to my mind neither genre has been bettered since then, at least on the PC.

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
We're in 2009, and yet my two joint favourite PC games are still from 1999 and 2000 (Deus Ex), as to my mind neither genre has been bettered since then, at least on the PC.

Off topic, sorry about that, but those are exactly my sentiments as well. Original UT & Deus Ex are still the best PC games out there.

UT2004 does offer a lot of game types, if you like its style of game play & lots of custom content as well.

GreatEmerald said it best, go for Unreal Anthology, as it's a great bargain at this point in time.

How's the AI on UT Classic?

The most impressive thing on UT2004 is the AI, which is better than many new games like BF2142 (man, those bots are completely retards... the AI is 2 times better on BF2) and it is very light, so i can run 63 bots without any lag or fps drop, the new UT3 has the most perfect AI that i ever saw... sometimes the bots acts just like real humans (but after 2mins you can notice the difference :D ) but the AI is too heavy... my poor processor fries to run a reasonable quantity of bots, but i'm sure a new top processor can handle the maximum number of bots without problems.

The AI on UT classic is quite good, yet easy to beat. (I agree that UT3's AI is better and more challenging).

As for UT2004's AI, I despise the game's crappy AI. They are merely pew pew gun-welding aimbots. They are not challenging on higher AI levels, but rather annoying (tend to dodge quicker than humans and hitscan weapons are the way of shutting them up).

Of course the actual impressive thing about UT2004 right now is its abundance of game types and number of custom material (which makes up now more than 98 percent of my UT2004 folder). However, I play UT2004 less often, unless someone updates that game already!

avi

Sep 5, 2009
of course it's worth it.:)
ut2004 is the most popular game in Unreal series right now.

UT3 was a Epic fail btw. ut99 looks just bad (very old gfx).

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
^No and no.

Get the Anthology. Generally, UT has the best gameplay of all the series. While UT3's core gameplay is also great, there are too much bugs that make it unplayable, usually - except with certain custom maps, which I really, really like. But I won't suggest it unless you have a good rig and patience.

Anthology has Unreal 1 and 2 if you're into Single Player stuff. And that UT2k4, which I strongly despise for about anything from it (crappy gameplay, crappy art style, crappy characters, etc...).

Graphiks are the last things you have to worry about. And for the record, my UT1 looks very good with OpenGL.

Last edited:

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
ut99 looks just bad (very old gfx).

Not the case at all, anymore, thanks to www.unrealtexture.com. Many of the textures have been updated to very high resolution & are net compatible with any server that runs cd1 textures on it. And they look SUPERB.

And that UT2k4, which I strongly despise for about anything from it (crappy gameplay, crappy art style, crappy characters, etc...).

Agree about the overall graphical appearance of UT2004. I never did like it & I've ported some UT2004 characters over to UT, using Milkshape 3D, and they look far, far better in UT. Especially the Mech characters ( Widowmaker, Syzygy, Mandible, Thorax ). The lighting in UT has always looked better than UT2004, to me, at least.

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
What really bugs me is the UT2k4's scale. You're a midget and the environment around is just too big.

Kerr Avon

Jan 22, 2008
Off topic, sorry about that, but those are exactly my sentiments as well. Original UT & Deus Ex are still the best PC games out there.

Something else they both have in common, to me at least, is that their sequels were very disappointing, as both sequels deliberately did away with many of the things that made the original game so good. The sequel to Deus Ex, Deus Ex: Invisible War did away with the RPG stats, the real world feeling (the sequel feels like it's set in bio-domes on a different planet), searching the bodies for items, the huge in-game levels (in DE:IW the much smaller sizes of the levels removed the exploring aspect of the game, including swimming and searching for alternate ways around a potential problem), and a lot of the atmosphere. And DE:IW's storyline was much less interesting too.

And with Unreal Tournament 2003, they somehow managed to remove almost everything that made the original game so excellent. I mean, it's bad enough that they removed the Ripper, the sniper rifle , the ability to have more than two teams (I like playing in three or four team death-matches, you can come across some really intense battles), but the new levels (or replacement levels, however you look at it) were often terrible by comparison to the original's. And they got rid of two great gaming modes; Last Man Standing and Assault, and the not too bad Domination. And they gave us the inferior and largely fun free modes Bomb Run and Double Domination. And they changed the feel (or the mechanics, or whatever you want to call it) of the original into the much inferior playing style of UT2003.

In fact, offhand I can't remember one single change UT2003 made that I liked. UT 2004 changed a lot for the better, and I like Unreal 3 (though I don't have it, since my PC won't run it well, and I don't yet have a current generation console), but to me the original UT is still by far the best of the UT games, and my favourite PC deathmatch game.

On the other hand, Deus Ex: Invisible War, though very inferior to the original DE, did add some good things, such as some better augmentations, the fact that you get augmentations earlier, the brilliant ability to be able to control cameras, gun turrets and bots in first person mode, and a more open stoyline. On the minus side, hacking is now an aug, so if you don't have the aug. you can't hack, but if you do have the aug. then that slot is tied up and you an use any of the other aug features for that slot. Worse, the shooting aspects aren't as good as in original, as there's no RPG stats, so it's just a straightforward first person shooter in that regard, except that the shooting engine feels bugged or random, as sometimes a head shot won't kill, for example, whereas other times the identical shot to the same foe will kill. The story line, though now totally open to you (unlike in the original, where you had to choose a certain moral path, I won't say what here, so as not to spoil in for those who haven't yet played Deus Ex), is very uninteresting in DE: IW. I've completed DE:IW several times now, but still don't fully understand the story, as I've never been interested enough to read all of the text. DE's story, though simpler, was much more interesting. In Deus Ex, you fight against terrorists, in a world dying of a mysterious, potentially man made, plague, and you have some interesting and memorable enemies and allies. In DE: IW, you get caught up between several political groups who (I think) are largely uninteresting, you get involved in trade disputes between tiny coffee shops, and the characters in the game are mostly flat and unmemorable.

And in DE: IW you use "univeral" ammo, so that all guns use the same ammunition. Which removes any strategy over saving ammunition for any particular weapon...

And in DE, the levels feel like real world locations, full of living, breathing characters. In DE: IW, the levels feel like small levels in a computer game. There's so little immersion.

Having said that DE: IW isn't a bad game, in some ways it's very good, at least as good as most other games. It's just that it falls way short of the excellent Deus Ex. Play DE: IW as a standalone game and you'll probably really enjoy it (I do, I've played it many times and will do again), but compare it to it's predecessor, and you'll be very disappointed.

Incidentally, as a mostly console gamer (I don't like PC gaming, I much prefer the ease and reliability of a console, and a joypad over keyboard and mouse), I have Deus Ex and Unreal Tournament on the PS2. Deus Ex is a very good port, being almost identical to the PC version, except for smaller areas (the areas themselves are the same size, but less is loaded into the PS2's memory at any one time, so each area has more areas to be loaded, if you see what I mean), better videos and better graphics (although the PC version can be played with downloadable higher textures), a slightly simplified inventory, and you no longer have to remember code names or numbers, when you've "read" them in game, just pressing USE over the keypad entry on the door, or whatever then enters the correct number.

It's a great port, and I'm really pleased with it. It's definaltey my favourite PS2 game, and 90% of the reason I still have my PS2 connected up.

Unreal Tournament, on the other hand, isn't such a good port. It's not actually bad (for a bad, nay, terrible port, look at Carmageddon 64 on the N64 :eek:), but it's dumbed down, having less options, less configurablity, and worst of all, a very generous auto-aim system that you CANNOT turn off. I don't like auto-aim myself, but I agree that console FPSs should have the option, but it should be an option, not forced upon you. If you're using a rocket in UT PS2, for example, then you'll almost always hit your oponent straight on, even if they're well away from your cross hairs. It removes so much skill, and makes the game much, much less enjoyable for me. And if that weren't bad enough (and it is), they removed the Last Man Standing mode, the ability to have more than two teams, the ability to configure bots, and there is now a low limit to the bots on each map.

Basically, it was just dumbed down.

And sadly, neither UT nor DE were ported to the XBox, Gamecube or newer consoles.

Edit: Forgot to say, one advantage of DE: IW is that (as far as I know), no-one is immortal in DE: IW, whereas in DE you cannot kill some characters, if they are set to die during the later story. In DE: IW any of them can be killed at any time.

And I should point out that I've only played DE: IW on the XBox, as apparently the PC version is very prone to bugging, and requires very high specs. at some points. The XBox version works flawlessly. I mention this in case anyone is thinking of buying the PC version.

Last edited:

Sportaçus

Protecting the citizens of Lazytown.
Feb 17, 2009
UT3 is dead anyway. I never seen anyone on!

Ut2004 has TAM and Invasion, two awsome gametypes. Come back to UT2004 Great, we are still around. :D

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
UT3 is not completely dead. It's also getting some of the best custom mods ever released.

Last edited: