UT payment model

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
I really don't know much about the next UT, except that it's going to be free... and that's already a very worrying aspect of the game.

One of the things I really miss about the "good old" UT days was that everyone was on a level playing field. No advantages just because you had been playing the game for a million hours, no bullshitty leveling up, XP or stupid unlocks.

If UT will be free then Epic are going to want to make money off of it. Now if it was purely for cosmetic stuff I'd be totally OK with that, but anything else like paying for weapons and maps etc. I would imagine would ruin the game for me off the bat.

Does anyone have any info on how Epic is going to try and make money off the new UT?

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
I was assuming they'll have a 3rd party content marketplace and take a cut from that?

I think the agreement is that if you develop something using their assets and sell it, Epic gets a slice of the pie. This however is a UE4 deal, not specifically UT4. UT4 is unique in that it is free, not just free to play. They might set up a store or marketplace for this...?

I might be way wrong.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
They also said that if mod makers want to sell their content, Epic must also get some of their profits as well.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
From what I gather, they're allowing a marketplace and selling of 3rd party content, but to be honest that's not something I want to see in UT - I'd much rather 3rd party content was free.

Nothing like trying to find a server that you don't have to buy a load of shit just to join and play...

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
They also said that if mod makers want to sell their content, Epic must also get some of their profits as well.

I think that's what I said...?

Anyhow, AFAIK, they aren't forcing anyone to sell anything; it is up to the author of the map of mod whether they want money for their work. I suspect that those who want to sell their work will be the minority (hope anyways), except of course for the big projects which will need a return, if not crowd-sourced funding up front even.

On the down side for those who invest a lot of time and effort, you know that all content will be made available by one means or another. I'm not sure what Epic will have in place to protect mappers and modders from this; it isn't really their problem, though it will affect their bottom line as well. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

AlteredForms

Apr 9, 2014
United Kingdom
No advantages just because you had been playing the game for a million hours, no bullshitty leveling up, XP or stupid unlocks.

Let's be honest here. This was one of the major reasons why people got so good at the game. As for the XP, I wouldn't really mind it. Got to move with the times people.

VendorX

Aug 2, 2010
BXL/Paris
As for the XP, I wouldn't really mind it. Got to move with the times people.

Yeah, right ... maybe the crafting system you will want too ..? :rolleyes:

a lot of fireworks + three tubes + plank and some nails = Brand new UT Rocket Launcher
Note: The tool box is required.

Last edited:

Blade_hunter

Unreal tournament mod dude
Jan 23, 2008
For me it depends on what should be sold, I mean people should avoid selling tiny mutators.
This would be completely stupid. If people wants to make money I think they should try to make a big mod at least.
Because if it applies to little mutators or single objects like player models, maps, voices, I'm sure this would be bad.
But as far as only big mods are concerned I'm fine because it's like paying for a game, not for some stupid DLC that we can find nowadays in games.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
For me it depends on what should be sold, I mean people should avoid selling tiny mutators.
This would be completely stupid. If people wants to make money I think they should try to make a big mod at least.
Because if it applies to little mutators or single objects like player models, maps, voices, I'm sure this would be bad.
But as far as only big mods are concerned I'm fine because it's like paying for a game, not for some stupid DLC that we can find nowadays in games.

I have to disagree. Mods of any size could be sold; it really depends on the quality and thus demand for the mod. Some mods won't be popular and thus will likely end up being free while other mods, from large to small, will become highly popular and in such a case, why shouldn't they be sold?

Just because we don't like a scenario doesn't make it wrong. Sure, we all love free content and have gotten used to it over the last 15 years, but the truth is that much of UT's content I would have paid for, as I think some of it is that good, almost necessary. A mod like "boomdeath" or even "pinata" or "monster madness"...these are great mods that I love, yet are tiny compared to something like Nali Weapons. Are they not of any value?

It's not about size, but perceived value.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
It sounds like they want to make a marketplace à la google play.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Thing is though, if simple content is going to be sold, it'll only serve to fragment the online user base. You won't be able to play on modded servers without buying the content, and a lot of people won't be willing to do that.

For big content packs (like CBP), it does work, but for every other tiny piece of content, it could potentially become a microtransaction nightmare.

AlteredForms

Apr 9, 2014
United Kingdom
Thing is though, if simple content is going to be sold, it'll only serve to fragment the online user base. You won't be able to play on modded servers without buying the content, and a lot of people won't be willing to do that.

For big content packs (like CBP), it does work, but for every other tiny piece of content, it could potentially become a microtransaction nightmare.

I second this notion. The inside of a modder's mind is absolute havoc and there's always something new they would like to implement. Paying for items such as these is downright capitalism.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Maybe one would be able to play online and use encrypted .ut4 files that can't be used offline or locally hosted...or something. Sure it will fragment the community any other way; make the differences between those that can afford the fun and those who can't, just like the world. :(

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I second this notion. The inside of a modder's mind is absolute havoc and there's always something new they would like to implement. Paying for items such as these is downright capitalism.
Exactly.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
I hope it doesn't turn into the Xbox marketplace or any of the phone app marketplaces. Those things are full of shitty items at ridiculous prices. It would be difficult to find good quality UT mods through piles of shit, and even then we would be loosing out. I remember playing with some really poor UT and UT2004 mods (IE over-sized house/ toy soldier maps, silly hat mutators, etc) but it was still enjoyable with a group of people online for a round or two to get some lulz. That won't be happening anymore if each author decides to price it.