Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Chronicle - 6/10

3 high school dudes are bestowed with incredible powers of telekinesis after stumbling onto a buried chamber underground in the middle of some woods somewhere - I'm assuming an alien spacecraft/orb/crystal crashed there at some point but whatever, the story basically documents their control of their new powers and it's side effects once abused.
You've got your well liked, super popular college dude Steve, who's life seems already awesome, middle dude Matt, whose Joe Average and his introverted cousin Andrew, who's life is disfunctional, having to cope with bullying at school and around his neighbourhood and a dying mother and a drunk father to deal with at home - no prizes for guessing who goes ape after discovering he has more control over his powers - yep, no hoper Andy goes postal and starts crushing and bending enough crap to give Magneto and Uri Geller a run for their money.
Daft story aside, the message of the film did have some weight behind it and whilst I began watching the movie with trepidation, it didn't turn out as bad as I'd been hearing.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Chronicle - 6/10

3 high school dudes are bestowed with incredible powers of telekinesis after stumbling onto a buried chamber underground in the middle of some woods somewhere - I'm assuming an alien spacecraft/orb/crystal crashed there at some point but whatever, the story basically documents their control of their new powers and it's side effects once abused.
You've got your well liked, super popular college dude Steve, who's life seems already awesome, middle dude Matt, whose Joe Average and his introverted cousin Andrew, who's life is disfunctional, having to cope with bullying at school and around his neighbourhood and a dying mother and a drunk father to deal with at home - no prizes for guessing who goes ape after discovering he has more control over his powers - yep, no hoper Andy goes postal and starts crushing and bending enough crap to give Magneto and Uri Geller a run for their money.
Daft story aside, the message of the film did have some weight behind it and whilst I began watching the movie with trepidation, it didn't turn out as bad as I'd been hearing.

I got to see that film recently, I'd have to rate it higher for one simple fact: the last part of the movie, to me, feels like Andrew's character was lifted straight out of Akira (the greatest Manga of all time), resembling Tetsuo on his rampage through Neo Tokyo, it was such a joy seeing one person going all TK apeshit.

HugoMarques

☆☆☆☆☆
Dec 14, 2010
Portugal
The Avengers 11/10.
There was no fail in this movie.

While browsing IMDB with my work buddies, this movie stood boldly in 2nd or 3rd place in the best movies list. Is it really THAT good? Can I finaly go to the cinema and watch a 3D movie not just for the sake of the whole gimmick thing?

Lruce Bee

May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Man on a Ledge - 3/10

So how exactly do you turn a potentially interesting storyline for a film into 1hr 30mins of pure tedium - simple, you cast Sam Worthington as the most unconvincing ex-cop you're ever likely to meet and stick him on the ledge of a building 150 ft in the air and then try and get J. Smith-Cameron to talk him down.
Under normal circumstances, most suicide victims would have freely launched themselves off said ledge after listening to Mrs Smith-Cameron's cocky repartee after about 20 seconds but somehow, he manages to withstand he blithering for all of 1hr 30 mins in order to pull off a heist with the help of rejects from the worlds most dumbest criminals.
Add to this a rescue team at pavement level, resembling the Keystone Cops, moving left and right with a mattress no bigger than a matchbox and you start to get the idea that you can't possibly take this film seriously.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
While browsing IMDB with my work buddies, this movie stood boldly in 2nd or 3rd place in the best movies list. Is it really THAT good? Can I finaly go to the cinema and watch a 3D movie not just for the sake of the whole gimmick thing?

I'd have given it a 7/10. It's an awesome popcorn flick, but there's not really that much to it.

I didn't see it in 3D.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Avengers just had so much awesome that it made up for sillyplot/actionmoviepewpew/technologicalplotholes.

Usually I nitpick at these little things, but I really didn't care to do so for Avengers.

Lruce Bee

May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
The Avengers 6/10

Bundle all the recent blockbuster marvel characters into one film and you must have a recipe for ownage right?
Not quite.
This flick reminded me of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen in character build up and plot – basically, assemble individuals of pure awesome in their own right and get them to sign up for defending the earth from a floating aircraft carrier, basically, Captain Scarlet’s Skybase.
You’d think they would be absolutely unstoppable, given their immense individual strengths,yet throughout most of the film, they seem weak and susceptible to all sorts of mind games dished out from the local janitor cleaning out the toilets to the gods of legends themselves.
Thor, being the retard he is, manages to get trapped in a flimsy looking prison by his arch enemy, Loki, who does a simple side step and places his size 9 boot up Thors arse and pushes him into a prison container that looks like it’s made of balsa wood and tin foil.
Even the mighty hammer of Thor can’t break through it initially but as usual, he grits his teeth and ergo, the hammer suddenly resumes its planet busting capabilities.
In the end, the dogs of war are let loose through a massive portal that the Hueco Mundo from Bleach would be proud of and almost look like they’re going to succeed in trashing New York City until Ironman does a Randy Quaid and flies into the core of the alien shitstorm with a nuke.
He survives the nuclear 20 megaton blast with a couple of dings to his suit and a slightly cracked visor and the world is safe again.
Put all that nonsense aside and it’s not a bad action movie.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
Okay so I just got back from India which means I had about 30 hours of in-flight entertainment to chug through.
Ghost Protocol - 7/10
It's fine, bit dull here and there but it was super cool to watch him clamber around that tower then look out the plane window as I flew over it(had a connecting flight in Dubai)
Was also fun to see a mission impossible which involved a team, properly, that didn't for the most part end up dead.

Sherlock Holmes: Shadow Something - 6/10
Enjoyable but something is missing. The first one set a kind of scene where the whole movie it didn't feel like a Sherlock Holmes movie but at the end it his "deductions" and the mystery was montaged and explained and it worked well enough.
This one seemed to forget about the mystery and, whilst there was one, when we discovered it, it was pretty mundane to my mind, even though it was a "grand" world war conspiracy, it just seemed like it was reaching and the focus was on action rather than intrigue.

Immortals x/10
I managed to discern that they must have cut a lot of violence out of this film as scenes would start and then abruptly cut to a pile of corpses where I had to squint to work out if anyone important died... So i'm not rating it as a response. It looked enjoyable enough to be honest. Very 300'ish with a very basic and unsurprising plot but a good "brain-in-a-box" watch i'd imagine.

Real Steel - 7/10
I kinda enjoyed this tbh. Not sure if it's because I was missing my own son for the two weeks I was away but it was a fun watch in my mind.
I usually despise the normal sport movies about underdogs being underdogs but somehow, through determination and a bit of luck they come through in the end and this is one of those and, it's basically a boxing movie too for the most part. But it's also about a completely asshole father that sees the error of his ways and becomes moderately less of an asshole.
The kid wasn't annoying either. I couldn't decide whether the dancing completely ruined the movie or not though. Bit of fun imo, i would've like to have seen the cocky redneck get his comupence as well.

Johnny English Reborn: 3/10
If you've ever seen a James Bond parody you've seen this already.
There were some funny jokes in there here and there but we've already seen Austin Powers mistake someones mum/the queen for an assassin and ebat them up we don't need to watch Mr Bean do it!
Oh Blackadder... how I miss thee.

Chronicle: 7/10
I thought this would be pretty dire and was pleasantly surprised.
It was clear that one of them would have to turn bad and I guessed, incorrectly which one that'd be(the cousin) but it was a fun story that was well told I think. I felt like the "I read something about alpha predators" was a bit contrived though.

Avengers makes record 200 million weekend

Somehow I don't find this a reason to celebrate. 3d ticket prices jacked that figure up something fierce. I would be interested to see actual tickets sold.

EDIT: Yep as I figured.

Meh! Why not just blame inflation.
Monetary records are always going to be made and re-made.
If you're going to rain on a parade why not save it for one where people will notice.
The point is people were willing to spend that much that frequently, if you're going to argue that other movies have sold more tickets for less then it could be argued back that maybe they wouldn't have sold at all if they cost more... which is a valid point.
If they'd made $200million but it turned out a ticket itself cost $100million it'd still merit acknowledging.

I'm not fan-boying btw. I've not seen the movie myself and I also don't like the fact that 3D movies inexplicably cost more. I wouldn't mind if the glasses came free for that but meh... I'll keep watching in 2D thanks.

HugoMarques

☆☆☆☆☆
Dec 14, 2010
Portugal
Well, looks like I'm gonna save a couple of bucks.

So, all this hype is just because of the whole hero ensemble thing, not because of it's quality... Guess it's just another plotholed cliché'd piece of cow dung. Oh well.

Oh, and thanks for providing an unspoiling review, B. Way to go, buddy.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
Well, looks like I'm gonna save a couple of bucks.

So, all this hype is just because of the whole hero ensemble thing, not because of it's quality... Guess it's just another plotholed cliché'd piece of cow dung. Oh well.

Oh, and thanks for providing an unspoiling review, B. Way to go, buddy.

Sadly your post made me read his post and i'm feeling significantly spoiled... That said though I only expected an action film. That's all this movie could ever have on the cards.

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Yeah, Lruce Bee's review pretty much sums it up for me. I couldn't be bothered to go into any detail mind, as it would have been spoilery :)

Okay so I just got back from India which means I had about 30 hours of in-flight entertainment to chug through.

30 hours! What did you fly in? A rolled up carpet thrown from a catapult?

(I've flown from the UK to Kuala Lumpur in less than 1/3rd that time)

Last edited: