Forum regulars: what questions do you hate getting asked?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
It's not the question itself, but the way it's asked.

It's one thing to have read through even a few posts to see how the forum tends to run, after having done even a simple Google search, and then asking the question politely.

It's another thing to come straight into the forums and demand an answer, as if the idea that you're the only person who everyone should be paying attention to, and then get upset because someone answers it, but it's not the answer you wanted, or didn't come fast enough.

If a FAQ does appear at the top, then anyone who doesn't bother even scanning through it when they have what even they themselves note as a simple question that's probably been answered before, needs to learn a bit of self-reliance.

As for questions that need to be shot on site: "Why doesn't nVidia put Glide support into their cards?"

cookiecups

Commander of baby tapiers
Jun 8, 2001
USA- all the way
Visit site
oooh yummy!

Dopefish's idear is a super one! When I first started reading this forum I did find tons of useful info. But (and here we go.. a newbie looking like an arce) sometimes I'd do searches and the info would be so randomly thrown together it was difficult to make sense of it. Like joining a conversation in the middle of it and you don't know any of the people they are speaking about very specifically.
I think maybe you should name thread, "If you are fearful your question is stupid go here because we probably have a very clear answer for you already and you won't get flamed"
yeah? I have found just about everyone on this forum pretty darn awesome about answering every Q-- not just the good ones;)
Thanks again!
I am learning more every day and soon I'll be able to aim AND shoot!
cc

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
The problem here is that we can't get a definitve FAQ, a la the Unreal FAQ on the homepage. But maybe someone will take the initiative from the thread we're making (it's not just me doing the making, it's you guys with the questions you're adding) and make a definitive FAQ.

It'd be cool if we eventually had a Doom v1.666-esque FAQ. :D

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
Originally posted by The Dopefish
It'd be cool if we eventually had a Doom v1.666-esque FAQ. :D
Cleaner's FAQ surly is a step towards that. I'm sure you can copy stuff from there

What does l337 mean?
How do I make a good clan recruitment thread?
Is PuF a clan?
Does 8472 really have no life?

cryco

Quasi-Genius
Nov 23, 2000
Montreal, Canada
Visit site
Cmon guys, the current methods have worked thus far. Is it that bad to answer newbie questions? Skip em if they bother you.
We welcome newbs to the forum this way, and get a feel for them.
Heck, I read repeat questions all the time. Big deal. I say let it be..

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
I'm about to post the first draft of the PuF UT FAQ! :D

Of course, is pretty rough, and needs probably a LOT more input (I gave all the answers I could :p), so if you have more to add, here would be the place to do it. :)

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
Number one is what the vB FAQ is for. :)

Number two has been answered.

Number three isn't really commonly asked. :D

Number four is commonly asked, but strays for the generally happy flow of the FAQ. :)

DeeperShade

Banned
Dec 8, 2000
www.tar-valon.com
Example of why we get annoyed:

Thread 1
n00b1: What is a Goshen?
DeeperShade: A Goshen is actually a member of these forums who once painted his entire head red for a football game

Thread 2
n00b2: Is Flag pushing a cheat?
DeeperShade: No, A Cheat is usually indicative of an altered/patched system which allows for actions the makers didnt intend for. Flag Pushing is just lame.

Thread 3
n00b3: Who is Goshen?
DeeperShade: See thread 1 (Link here)
n00b3: But I dont want to go there, Tell me here:
DeeperShade: Sigh, ok.. A Goshen is actually a member of these forums who once painted his entire head red for a football game

Thread 4
n00b4: Hey! I can use the redeemer to punt the flag over the entire map! Am I cheating?
DeeperShade: See thread 2 (Link here)
n00b4: You didnt answer my question! Am I cheating?! Answer me!
DeeperShade: sigh, no your not cheating, just being lame.
n00b4: YOU ******** IM NOT LAME! WHY YOU CALL ME LAME!!!

Thread5
n00b5: Whats a Goshen?
DeeperShade: Someone shoot me in the head, please god shoot me in the head...

oh.. and hammer.. Im not even going to grace that with a response..

SU3000

Bringer of Fear and 0wnage
Jun 10, 2000
The Netherlands
www.carpeimperium.com
Right, I do not like the topic of this thread but it'll do.

There is one question I miss in the New visitors: read this UT FAQ before posting! Topic.

--
Where can I find the best FAQ on UT?
UT ©leaned (Cleaner's FAQ).
--

And (a minor thing, but a thing nonetheless):
You have to beat Xan in a 15 frag final, not 10 frag max.

--
oh yeah, nice compilation of the PuF Faq: gj!
:)

Last edited:

anterobs

Fast and Furious
Mar 5, 2001
Porto Alegre - RS
www.geocities.com
Good work Dopefish.

I found it a bit a hard to read, though. It's not a real big trouble, but I think it would be better if the questions were numbered with the "list" command.

And the answers envolving codes (like enabling Xan), may have too many blank lines (it may be a Netscape problem, I don't know).

Face this as a constructive criticism, OK? ;)

I'm assuming that the FAQ may grow up, so I think the numbers could really help. :)

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
Any criticism is good criticism at this point of the FAQ's young life (100 views in less than 24 hours! :D).

I do state, before the Q&A, that there is no real ordering to the questions, so numbering them would be...dunno. :) I'll try to think of ways to maybe get things easier to read...like colors! :D Or alternating bold and normal...summink.

BTW, thx 84 for your input. :)

Last edited:

Kilham

Lost in RL
Oct 11, 2000
Scotland
clanrsu.com
How about 'How do I install a UMOD' ?

That's the question that originally brought me to these forums so many months ago - and I answered for myself by doing a search :).

anterobs

Fast and Furious
Mar 5, 2001
Porto Alegre - RS
www.geocities.com
You could use a list without numbers. It would be helpful to see where does a question starts and ends.

And I'd name it with capitals only, to get more attention: :)

icon4.gif
READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
Q:
Why the heck do I need to download maps whenever I connect
A: Get Bonuspacks 1-4 (if GOTY only 4)

Q: Why won't my custom skins work online
A: The server doesn't have them

T

Terminal {DTH}

lately ive been seeing a lot of

someone direct me to a site with is there a site with tweeks and tricks?
what is a shock combo?
how do i bind voice commands?