Georgia police toss flash-bang into crib during no-knock drug raid, toddler in coma

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
Story: Toddler critically burned during SWAT raid (wsbtv.com).

An interesting comment from /r/news:

It’s funny how you’ll often see Americans posture and beat their chest about how they would “know it when they see it” if fascism came kicking down their door. They talk about how they would rather take up arms than see a vilified and scapegoated underclass or themselves get carted off to camps. They assume that they, above all others, will know when freedom is being crushed under the boot of an oppressive state—after all, this is the land of the free and who better would understand freedom than the people who live in it?

The narrative they believe is the ultimate fiction, because everything they claim to oppose has already come to pass—the scapegoats are the multitudes of cultural pariahs from undocumented immigrants to Occupy protesters to cannabis growers and the “camps” are for-profit prisons meant to extract labor for below-market rates, which remain conveniently ignored.

Oh my fucking god people, when are we going to stop kidding ourselves and march on a police station? I’m at once reminded of the scene from V for Vendetta when the little girl gets shot by the “secret police who aren't so secret”, and how it sparked a popular revolt—and I feel a myself die a little bit inside, because I know no matter how many children are hurt or killed, it’ll never happen in real life.

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
Urm, they didn't mean to hurt the babbie.

And also, if V for Vendetta is an important part of anyone's ideology then that anyone is a dumb-dumb.

Everyone wants to be oppressed. Tough beans, you ain't.

STOP DOING DRUGS

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
Urm, they didn't mean to hurt the babbie.

And also, if V for Vendetta is an important part of anyone's ideology then that anyone is a dumb-dumb.

Everyone wants to be oppressed. Tough beans, you ain't.

STOP DOING DRUGS

It seems you want to have it two ways, each of them extremes. If a person says that the United States is like V for Vendetta you are quick to point out that V for Vendetta is an allegory that doesn’t actually resemble anything that is or would happen in real life, as if they didn’t know that. On the other hand, if you see some normal, garden-variety degree of oppression but the situation doesn’t match V for Vendetta, it’s not real oppression because real oppression is gas chambers and jackbooted thugs with twirly mustaches, don’t you know.

The truth is that oppression is a spectrum. Real life will never look like V for Vendetta, because real life is not a comic book or movie. There will, however, always be strong people who abuse powerless ones. That happens all the time, and it happens to be perfectly boring in practice much of the time, unlike fiction.

The trick, I think, is to stop comparing our lives to comic books and instead use their lessons to examine our everyday existence critically. If you find that the level of abuse has swung too high this week, oppose it. If you’re just fine with it, maybe turn your attention to other concerns.

I think it’s too high, and I’m looking for ways to oppose it.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I'm sorry, but the police finding drugs, obtaining a warrant and then executing that warrant is NOT a form of fascist oppression. It is truly a tragedy that a child was injured, and my heart goes out to the family, but that's all it is. This isn't the police trying to hurt a baby, of them ignoring information that then led the baby being hurt, of them unlawfully or unjustly or rashly rushing to action, it was just bad luck while being lawful.

This case is sad, but contains literally zero abuse of the law, in either the letter or the spirit of it.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Doing the drug raid is fine, but using a SWAT team seems to be the solution for everything these days. What I would like to see though is public record of how dangerous the police thought they should assess the premise, keep it open to the public. Did they do research and determine a couple was a large enough threat? Were they simply peddling drugs or running a huge operation with high probability of shooting at officers?

Leave it all open to public scrutiny.

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
I'm sorry, but the police finding drugs, obtaining a warrant and then executing that warrant is NOT a form of fascist oppression.

I fear that your description trivializes no-knock raids in which grenades are thrown around. I am also concerned that you feel drug use is the business of the state, or something to be met with home invasion and violence.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
No knocks have proven effective in minimizing casualties, as do flashbangs (I love that you just say "grenades"), disorienting criminals and allowing for smoother arrests, when the team feels that there is a need to take those measures.

I personally don't think that the drug trade should be as regulated as it is, but that isn't about fascism, it's about a law I disagree with. I DO, however, think that when we're dealing with people who are violent offenders of those laws, that this is the entire point of having the police force.

Again, it's a tragic situation, but nothing here in any way resembles excessive force, much less an oppressive government.