Tribes: Ascend

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Looks awesome. I'm not a tribes player though, so any of you oldschool tribes players think it's gonna be any good?

-n7-

May 12, 2006
Edmonton, AB
Anyone in the beta?

I've been checking out some of the gameplay videos out there and really like the look of this.

Not sure the pay-to-have-a-proper-loadout is a wise method for the supposed "free" game, but i don't have an issue with spending $30 if it's a good game.

Just really wish i could get into the beta to try it out, as i foolishly wasn't paying attention when there were sites offering ways in.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Looks awesome. I'm not a tribes player though, so any of you oldschool tribes players think it's gonna be any good?
Depends on who you talk to. On the Hirez forums there's some oldschool players that like it, some that say Hirez has destroyed the name of Tribes and others that just play
Anyone in the beta?
Yo.
Not sure the pay-to-have-a-proper-loadout is a wise method for the supposed "free" game, but i don't have an issue with spending $30 if it's a good game.
Eh, you can get all the loadouts eventually, the gold and booster packs just let you get them faster
Unfortunately credits are doled out at such a snails pace that you might as well go for the boosters or hit up the VIP pre-order($30 for 3k gold and a 30day booster)
I believe going for the VIP pre-order instantly gets you beta access

There's also a rather large debate on the introduction of hitscan weapons

Last edited:

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Kinda sorta. You can unlock everything without paying a penny, just takes longer

and when you're playing against some asshole who paid money to get it right away and is murdering you with better weapons and shit, it will be awesome

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Eh, the classes you start off with aren't too bad, they're not the best but you can hold your own with them.
Besides, it's free, if you never buy a booster, why should Hirez give a damn that it takes you several months to unlock everything? They need to make some cash, they're not a half-dozen people in a garage, they're a studio

$30 for the VIP pack. That gives you enough gold to instantly buy 5-6 classes and a 30 day booster with gives more XP and credits to unlock everything else
With that you'll be unlocking everything faster than CoD or BF3 for half the price

You're making them sound like Zynga and Farmville

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I think that's exactly why people would rather just pay $30 for a good game that gives you everything. This is just like every other "Free"-to-play game, someone hoping you'll spend $1,000 on the game in the long run.

I like Tribes, but I do not like "Free"-to-play. The quotes are necessary.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I think that's exactly why people would rather just pay $30 for a good game that gives you everything. This is just like every other "Free"-to-play game, someone hoping you'll spend $1,000 on the game in the long run.

Like the new Age of Empires F2P - $20 per civilisation, pay extra for 'skirmish' etc. If you wanted to buy what was already released it would cost you over $100, for less than half of what you got in previous games :/
[/QUOTE]

-n7-

May 12, 2006
Edmonton, AB
I think that's exactly why people would rather just pay $30 for a good game that gives you everything.

That'd be me.

I just want to at least play it for a bit before i plunk down money since me buying games generally results in one of two things.

Either i get way more than my money's worth because i end up playing the game a TON.
Or i don't get it at all, since i don't play it at all.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
and when you're playing against some asshole who paid money to get it right away and is murdering you with better weapons and shit, it will be awesome
In League of Legends you can accumulate points, which you can use to purchase premium characters. My brother plays the game (without spending money on it) and he doesn't "buy" every character, but the ones he does buy he buys on the day they come out, with the points he saved up by skipping some.

So I balancing doesn't have to be a problem for non-paying players. Even assuming that the new weapons are actually objectively better.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Lol at free to play games, and lol to idiots who pay for the stuff in free to play games.

Hell the new Mechwarrior is going to be free to play. 15 dollars for a new mech suit coming right up.