Weapon's weight penalties on aiming...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
gal-z said:
Done where? I'd like to play around with it :p
link please? Sorry for not being up to date as I'm not home much.
Heavier weapons turn much slower and have more weapon sway, as stated in the INF manual, one of the reasons to prefer submachine guns over assault rifles, and why the Minimi isn't always a great CQB weapon.

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
Nukeproof said:
They do already have minimum inertia. It was discussed in 2.9 beta phase but it just felt akward to the testers (pretty much like lag) to have a stronger effect, so it was reduced to a bare minimum.
So it seems that the full noticeable inertia effect doesn't work to well according to the testers.

I think Call of Duty was a good example of how intertia was implemented in weapons.

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
Kyle Kellahshehskee said:
Weapon accuracy is a joke. While I've never fired in real life any of the firearms in the game, I am utterly confident that when I have a stationary enemy square in my sights at only 5 yards distance that I AM going to hit him. Not in Brothers in Arms. This happens so frequently it's ridiculous.
Actually, funny you should mention that. I had the same experience early on, feeling like the weapons were shooting 'off', but after playing the game a while, I came to realize what was actually going on...

- sometimes when standing behind cover, the sandbags, wall, or bush in front of you can block your bullet, even if it apears that your weapon is angled over the obstruction. This can happen in particular due to sway; one second your weapon is unobstructed at the height of the sway, then when the sway sinks to the lowest point, it becomes obstructed. Thus, some of your shots apear to be hitting near the target, while others seem to "disapear" because they are being blocked by the wall at various points durring your breathing cycle

- there are no 1-hit-kills in BIA, except with the sniper rifles (which magically kill in one hit anywhere even though they shoot the same round as other rifles which kill in 2 hits). Even headshots do not kill in 1 hit, though sometimes it apears that they do because the enemy you're targeting was allready shot without your knowledge. Furthermore, enemies don't always make the characteristic "yiaah!" scream when hit, sometimes making no sound at all, and they respond to the shot by standing up and running to another barrel or part of the wall (like they respond to pretty much everything). Thus, you'll shoot them, and hit, but it looks like you missed, because there is no apperant effect, but in fact, the next time you hit them, they will go down with only 1 hit as if they have taken damage previously.

- the hitboxes for the enemies when they are crouching behind cover are a little skewed. When enemies are crouching behind cover, and all you can see is the tip of their helmet, the hitbox does not cover the very tip of the helmet. So from most angles where you can see the tip of the helmet, the bullet passes through and register. From other angles though, particularly up close, you can hit it if you aim well enough. However, sometimes when you hit, you won't realize it, because the enemy doesn't react.

- AFAIK the hitbox for the enemy when he's peeking over the top of the cover is the same as when he's still crouching down. I don't think I've ever hit an enemy durring this animation unless his lower body was exposed and I aimed low. If you aim for the head, neck, or shoulders, I don't think it will register.

So, it's not really the accuracy of the guns that's bad (although I think sway when standing is excessive), the weapons will hit where you're aiming, it's just that the damage models and hit detection tend to screw things up.

I agree with your other points as well, but I don't really mind the flaws of the game so much. I definitely would like the game better if they weren't there, but it's not so bad, to me. It's still basically the most realistic commercial game out there. I don't think I've seen any game that's not a 3rd party mod with anywhere near the level of realism that BIA is at.

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
Kyle Kellahshehskee said:
Weapon accuracy is a joke. While I've never fired in real life any of the firearms in the game, I am utterly confident that when I have a stationary enemy square in my sights at only 5 yards distance that I AM going to hit him. Not in Brothers in Arms. This happens so frequently it's ridiculous.
Actually, funny you should mention that. I had the same experience early on, feeling like the weapons were shooting 'off', but after playing the game a while, I came to realize what was actually going on...

- sometimes when standing behind cover, the sandbags, wall, or bush in front of you can block your bullet, even if it apears that your weapon is angled over the obstruction. This can happen in particular due to sway; one second your weapon is unobstructed at the height of the sway, then when the sway sinks to the lowest point, it becomes obstructed. Thus, some of your shots apear to be hitting near the target, while others seem to "disapear" because they are being blocked by the wall at various points durring your breathing cycle

- there are no 1-hit-kills in BIA, except with the sniper rifles (which magically kill in one hit anywhere even though they shoot the same round as other rifles which kill in 2 hits). Even headshots do not kill in 1 hit, though sometimes it apears that they do because the enemy you're targeting was allready shot without your knowledge. Furthermore, enemies don't always make the characteristic "yiaah!" scream when hit, sometimes making no sound at all, and they respond to the shot by standing up and running to another barrel or part of the wall (like they respond to pretty much everything). Thus, you'll shoot them, and hit, but it looks like you missed, because there is no apperant effect, but in fact, the next time you hit them, they will go down with only 1 hit as if they have taken damage previously.

- the hitboxes for the enemies when they are crouching behind cover are a little skewed. When enemies are crouching behind cover, and all you can see is the tip of their helmet, the hitbox does not cover the very tip of the helmet. So from most angles where you can see the tip of the helmet, the bullet passes through and register. From other angles though, particularly up close, you can hit it if you aim well enough. However, sometimes when you hit, you won't realize it, because the enemy doesn't react.

- AFAIK the hitbox for the enemy when he's peeking over the top of the cover is the same as when he's still crouching down. I don't think I've ever hit an enemy durring this animation unless his lower body was exposed and I aimed low. If you aim for the head, neck, or shoulders, I don't think it will register.

So, it's not really the accuracy of the guns that's bad (although I think sway when standing is excessive), the weapons will hit where you're aiming, it's just that the damage models and hit detection tend to screw things up.

I agree with your other points as well, but I don't really mind the flaws of the game so much. I definitely would like the game better if they weren't there, but it's not so bad, to me. It's still basically the most realistic commercial game out there. I don't think I've seen any game that's not a 3rd party mod with anywhere near the level of realism that BIA is at.