pinging servers

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
got a problem, i'm on a lan, i recently reformatted my comp downstairs, network is running as usual and i can surf, jadda jadda jadda
but, when i go into ut and i want to play online, the ut does looks up the servers, but after that its supposed to ping the servers, but it doesn't do that, therefor i can't play online, cause the list doesn't load
any suggestions?
i'm also running norton downstairs, i added a firewall rule for allowing any sort of transfer on both comps

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
using norton internet security, has the built in norton firewall
i'm using a regular network, 2 cards, 1 cable :à)

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
its definatly a norton firewall thingy, if i put it offline on the server comp, ut does load the list
so the question should be, what is the correct firewall rule for ut in norton?

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
I know nothing about how to configure Norton Firewall.
I use ZoneAlarm myself as a software firewall.
I know that standard udp ports used by UT is 7777 and 7778.
But many servers also use other ports.

Can you configure Norton Firewall to allow UT access to all ports?

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
well i did just that but still it wouldn't allow it
well, i got it temporarly fixed i set the securty to low, instead of medium, it works now, though i doubt i will leave it to low very long

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
I'm not starting anything by saying this is better than that, but you could try ZoneAlarm .
They have a version you can download for free. I used that version before I got the Pro version.
It's very simple to configure.

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
yeah, i tried that before, but it doesn't seem to function as good as norton, norton detects more things, and logs ip of sender of trojans i usually get