Sniper-type games

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Luv_Studd

Aug 17, 1999
VT
Visit site
I am not really into these games, but happened upon a video today of an upcoming Sniper Elite game, which evidently is part of a series. I guess it's a little startling for me to see this when most games I've played are relatively timid in the gore factor. (Last of Us is probably most gory game I have played).

Seriously, what is the draw to play something like this other than inciting whacko's to copycat in reallife? Slo-mo as a bullet pierces a victim's skull as you watch the brain and bone shatter?

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/9f4291/sniper-elite-3-first-ten-minutes

Where is the fun in that?:rolleyes:

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I'll have you know that Sniper Elite V2 was a thoroughly enjoyable game.
there's no better feeling than firing lead through a guys ballsac before it tears into a gas canister and ignites his buddies behind him.

knawmean?

[m]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv2QCcshppg[/m]

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
yes.
exactly. thank god for that.

but I don't understand.
you're going to pick sniper games out of a lineup of all the pop-culture violence we have to choose from and make an example out of them... why?

pretty sure they're no different than almost every other first-person-shooter and blockbuster action film.

Luv_Studd

Aug 17, 1999
VT
Visit site
you're going to pick sniper games out of a lineup of all the pop-culture violence we have to choose from and make an example out of them... why?

I would pick any medium out if they had over-the-top and unnecessary/gratuitous violence in it, but more so on video games since they are more than likely to be played by minors. It's why I refused to watch the Saw movies, for example, or I cringe when I see actual death and dis-membership videos that play before me without my knowing beforehand.

Just because the brain splatter/bone smashing effects can be done in a video game, what's the point of doing it? If it was a CSI training video that would help solve murders, or train law enforcement, then yeah, it makes sense.

What do you as a gamer actually gain from watching/interacting with this violence other than tweaking some sick fantasy you have? (the proverbial 'you', not saying you have any sick fantasies)

It's one thing to have rag doll physics, and a little animated blood, or hell sure: a little dis-membership on a zombie...

Not trying to start a flame war, just trying to understand the purpose and need for it.

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I just really don't understand why you're coming out here against "sniper-type" games.
the whole argument literally doesn't make any sense.

you draw the line of obscenity at the level of graphical detail? not the content itself?
I'm so confused...

like, if they just didn't include the x-ray slow-mo cam, would that make it ok??

Last edited:

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
It's the Sniper game's gimmick...most games have them. Doom, the shotgunned brain pops out, Max Payne with the sniper rifle following the bullet, Soldier of Fortune had dismemberment, Skyrim and the slo-mo kills, the chainsaw-a-guy-in-half in GoW..on and on. Is it over the top? Perhaps graphically, but in essence it's just another vantage on our beloved headshot, so celebrated in gaming.

Is the animation gruesome or gory? Well, that is an individual preference, but at least I won't play dumb to its sensationalist schtick. The FPS/War genre is pretty exhausted and I think that devs are just looking for some edge, even if it is ultimately just window dressing.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Your argument is really the same one that was presented when Doom was released, as with Mortal Kombat, etc.

This is a forum based on Unreal Tournament remember? Why in UT can I walk up to dead corpses and completely gib them? I am wasting extra ammo just to watch their guts fly around. As you say, what is the point? Do people get pleasure from doing this? How about the effect in UT where you get headshotted but the camera stays with your head as it flies across the room and rolls onto the ground?

Oh but this is much more graphic. Well, Doom was very graphic for its time. So is this.

Not defending the game, just saying how perceptions change over time. When I was younger, my parents for example did not like it when I played GTAIII. One day they came in and I was playing Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2, and they got upset because they thought it was GTAIII. I told them it was NFS and their attitude changed; suddenly it was ok. So outrunning the cops in NFS is okay, but not in GTA, because GTA will turn me into a criminal and NFS won't. My Dad was also OK with my playing Duke Nukem 3D when I was 5 and UT when I was 10. But GTAIII at age 13 was too much. To each their own, I guess.

Last edited:

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I was playing 'obscene' games and watching rated-R movies before I was like 13 years old. pretty sure that as long as your parents raise you correctly (relatively speaking) it doesn't really matter what you're exposed to at any point in your life. by that same token it doesn't matter what you find entertaining within the context of it's 'virtual' entertainment.

and so whether that means occasionally laughing at a rape joke (and there are some good ones) or enjoying a game with skulls that pop open as brains fly out, there's literally nothing wrong with that. in the end the result is the same; no one actually got raped and I didn't actually shoot anyone.