Shock Combos...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
ha ha ha- I mean, ENOUGH! there will be no more talking of balls in this forum. ;)

Thx gades.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Well its been a freaking long time since this has been updated so...
PROGRESS REPORT!

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
No more adivce? OK then. But remember to share your advice if you discover a good combo tip. I will check this once and a while for updates.

Last edited:

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
I didn't read any advice here 'cause I can hit a combo when ever I want tbh.

Always keep in mind that you're not limited to going back and forth, jump, dodge, wall dodge, hitting the core is just like hitting a player moving around. You need to line up your shots and pull it when you feel it's the right time.

Here's my super old examples of moving shots:

shockcombodancampvejw1.gif

macomborankinmz2.gif

macomboanfracjd0.gif

The rest aren't shock combos, but they still share tactics with hitting combos. Never stop moving, don't be afraid of trying to hit a moving combo while you're doing the 2k4 hippy hop jumping bean junk. The more you try and hit these moving combos, the more you'll hit and the easier it will get. That will translate to better prediction and better aim in general.

marcampgroundsg1eoc4.gif

mardangrendelod7.gif

marhsgrendelgx2.gif

marwaistenwp1.gif

kscolawarsod9.gif

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Yeah, don't get discouraged if you miss a shot. Just keep focused and keep shooting. You can see in those animations that JD misses plenty but it doesn't really affect how he moves or shoots afterwards.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
They're pretty fast in UT1 too. And what's annoying is that the shock ball tends to "skip" when you're online, making angled connects awkward.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Yeah, don't get discouraged if you miss a shot. Just keep focused and keep shooting. You can see in those animations that JD misses plenty but it doesn't really affect how he moves or shoots afterwards.
Yeah, that's one thing many people make mistakes on. Never stop moving, even if you're missing a shot or two. Standing still to line up a shot won't work on someone like me and you'll just end up dying. :p

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
They're pretty fast in UT1 too. And what's annoying is that the shock ball tends to "skip" when you're online, making angled connects awkward.

I think that's caused by a good ammount of packetloss which most people who play online shouldn't have D:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
I think that's caused by a good ammount of packetloss which most people who play online shouldn't have D:

You're probably right. Either that or the pc is fubard. On the subject, I once tried playing with 40% PL and it was like being Diablo from the X-Men on drugs :D

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
Something that helped me in UT3: Hidden weapons or at least bCenteredWeaponFire=True (in some ini file) so you actually shoot where you aim. Also disabling weapon boping and view shake could help a bit.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Something that helped me in UT3: Hidden weapons or at least bCenteredWeaponFire=True (in some ini file) so you actually shoot where you aim. Also disabling weapon boping and view shake could help a bit.
lol, weapons boping. D: Weapons bobbing.

If you look at my animations, they're all weapons hidden and view bob is also off. All that stuff does is make you miss for no good reason at all.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
WOH! An explosion of activity! I'll be sure to update the list soon. Thanks for the tips everyone.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
WOH! An explosion of activity! I'll be sure to update the list soon. Thanks for the tips everyone.
If you're gonna update, maybe you should change all the "balls" to "cores" since it's called a shock core, not shock ball. :p

Also, while I'm here, I thought I'd chime in and give some of my opinions on some of the advice posted here for what it's worth. D:

For an easy combo, you can fire and wait for the ball to go where you want it to be, and detonate, so you get 100% chance to hit it. While waiting, though, you're limited to only forward and backward movements.
Anyone who thinks that while firing a core they're limited to backwards and forwards for movement needs to rethink how they're playing. You can still use all axis movements, it just may be harder for some people to hit the cores on a lift or jump pad.

Here's a simple bit of practice: fire a core and continually strafe in one direction left/right and hit the combo. You can also add in forward movement while strafing which will give you an arc movement forward from your starting point. You're moving forward yet you're not going in a predictable and silly straight forward path. It'll get you used to moving in odd directions while still being able to hit the core. Just keep adding more and more paths of direction, backwards arcs, getting on lifts and doing circular jumps while combo'ing, eventually this will lead to being able to hit combos on any axis and in any direction.

Some things to try:
- Practice combos on low grav. maps.
Why would anyone do this? Low grav alters how you aim, alters how you move and alters how you will predict objects moving. The point of getting good at combos is learning muscle memory and if you're practicing in low grav then going to normal gravity, all that "practice" will be for nothing. The muscle memory won't set. Repetitive motion and constants are the key to this.

- Adjust your mouse speed so you don't miss a lot but are still able to spin around to tackle someone on your rear.
One of the biggest mistakes I see people doing is trying to adjust their aim for shock combos. Most of the top players that I know would adivse against adjusting your aim for one weapon. Watch the best players in the world pull off a combo, do they usually aim for it with their mouse? Nope, they line it up by either putting their xhair ahead of it, or matching their movement so that when they fire shock primary, they are right on the core without even moving the mouse.

I have an insanely high sens, one that would make most people sick with all the spins I can pull, but I don't normally have problems with shock combos. I don't depend on my aim to pull off combos, I use movement aim and path prediction. It's much more reliable to me than mouse aim could ever be, and it's usually spot on. TBH this not only applies to shock combos but to aiming with all of the other guns as well.

watch out for other people who shock combo your own balls

in other words he shoots your ball as soon as you fire it

thus killing you. (suggestion by: TurdDrive)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Shove balls in front of other people so they combo themselves.

And don't hit other people's balls.... (suggestion by: gades)
Maybe I'm getting confused here with this, but isn't that a bit contradictory? :p

If you see someone with an ASMD and you know they like to throw cores out there, always aim for the center of their body. It will give you a much greater chance of hitting his core right when he fires it. It's so much fun doing that to a core spammer. :p