German government bans LAN party over 'killer' games

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

|*BILLY$CLINT*|

I make things happen!
Jan 25, 2008
The Moon
You are taking this thread way too seriously and making such awful analogies(If you can call them that) that you are make me sypathize with the Germans... and i'm English!!!

What does being English have to do with you sypathizing with the Germans. What are you saying that the English and the Germans are completly retarted?

Gambit84

Oct 17, 2004
Two things i don't understand!

1. Why people would play an MMO, or more specifically WoW, on a lan...
and
2. How you managed to mindlessly dribble all over your keyboard in such a way that you managed to type actual words in recognisable sentences.
Hahaha

I dont understand how someone can say a game like WoW is violent.

If anything it makes a case that video games can prevent school shootings, because socially outcasted loners that play the game can find a sense of belonging with other loners that play....giving said loners a social life(if you can call it that).
The common theme among school shooters have been loneliness.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Some idiot uttered a potential connection between school shootings and violent computer games - and from then on politicians of almost all parties obtained what I like to call the "killer game reflex". As soon as there's a young person running amok, they already "know" it's been due to him playing "violent" games like Counter-Strike. (<-- really, click that!) This reflex sometimes even works without knowing whether the guy actually has a computer.

Last edited:

Gambit84

Oct 17, 2004
Some idiot uttered a potential connection between school shootings and violent computer games - and from then on politicians of almost all parties obtained what I like to call the "killer game reflex". As soon as there's a young person running amok, they already "know" it's been due to him playing "violent" games like Counter-Strike. This reflex sometimes even works without knowing whether the guy actually has a computer.
The columbine shooters played doom and planned their school shooting that way. At least thast what was reported at the time that it happened.

But they were also hunters and I think their hunting experience/owning guns played into it a lot more than video games.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Oh, it "was reported at the time that it happened", that's interesting. So not only (some!) later shooters based their plans on Columbine, (all!) the media and politicians did as well.

Gambit84

Oct 17, 2004
Im in total disagreement with whats going on, im just saying if they play a sport with REAL guns, id suspect the government would be pointing their fingers at that first. Not some abstract games that lack realism. Im not against hunting either, Im just saying....

The media likes to report things without merit. i suspect the kids just happened to play doom, but some anti videogame activist stretched the truth.

Soggy_Popcorn

THE Irish Ninja
Feb 3, 2008
It's funny because I used to look up to Europe for their open-mindedness. When I went to Italy I was in love with how responsible everyone was compared to America. Maybe Germany is a different story.

Do the U.S. a favor and move there if that floats your boat.

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
It's funny because I used to look up to Europe for their open-mindedness. When I went to Italy I was in love with how responsible everyone was compared to America. Maybe Germany is a different story.

Most normal people are open-minded. Politicians of that old generation here aren't.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Why only Germany ? The whole of the western world has gone paranoid. Each thing that shakes public opinion is an extra excuse for governments to change laws and basically take individual rights away.

Last edited:

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Did any of your politicians ever claim that "we could learn from china" in the context of a censorship topic? No? You see, that's what separates Germany from the rest of the western world - one of our politicians really said that publicly! Apart from that, our ministers of terrorism and reproduction (Schäuble and von der Leyen) are constantly spreading false facts (critics inappropriately call it "lying") related to terrorist threats and pedophile crimes to legitimate the drastic new laws of the last few months.