Poll - All weapons fire bullets idea

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UT3 weapons

• Would you prefer having only: All weapons firing bullets

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • UT3 is oky the way it is

Votes: 70 97.2%
  • Keep the actual weapons and add more firing bullets weapons!

Votes: 2 2.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
I just said, if we implement weapons firing bullets we would have to rebalance the health system. Just think to CoD4 with a ridiculously fast three shots in the body that kills in less than a second.

Gears of War (the pistol) had a good balance with 4 headshots and 6-8 bodyshots.
Halo 2-3 (with Battle Rifles) is actually having a good flow, but unfortunately your first three shots are absorbed by the Energy Shield what can't be counted as a headshot.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Most of my shots take one or two hits to kill rather quickly, so I don't see a need to change anything.

*edit BTW Do you not understand that changing the series weaponry negates what makes the Unreal series.... the Unreal series? ;c

Last edited:

BobTheBeheader

Aug 31, 2005
Warshington State
Hyrage: You change the weapons, you change the game. The weapons have been relatively the same, unchanged, for over a decade now, and they're what make Unreal what it is.

Change that, and you'll have to change the name of the game. You won't be making the game better by changing the weapons around... you'll be making a whole new game, one that ISN'T Unreal.

Last edited:

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
Well not a big deal if we could get a better Tournament game, but this isn't what I'm going to debate here.

You are happy with no reloading, what I think is an essential key to a shooter game.
You are happy with the limited gunplay that UT3 actually gives, nothing wrong with that.

But any mecanics used for any weapons of the UT franchise can be implemented as an Item instead of being a gun and items could just bring more variety and gameplays to the franchise and finally bring the Teamwork on a solid step beyond what it actually is.

But it's definitely true, it wouldn't play exactly the same way you play UT3, it would be as fast, as much tricky, but more tactical.

When I look at UT3 it's Quake 3 with Next Gen graphics and nothing more except vehicles and Deployables.
For a 2008 game, it's a bit disturbing.

Last edited:

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
I never said it wasn't, I said that there are ways to improve the Teamwork and there are ways to implement new twists in the actual Core Gameplay Mecanics, but these are things that I'll keep for my own projects.

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Just tell me how, changing all weapons to hitscan would benefit gameplay/teamplay? I don't see the connection. Last time I saw similar attempt (or at least it turned out to be a hitscan fest - TAM) that did nothing to teamplay. More like killed it.

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
wooo hey this is exciting! i'm excited!! i hope you are too :D
rawr internet... people are depending on you. :D

no pressure

edit// that cat looks like Hal on any given friday night

edit 2// i totally missed my #666 post, so have at it bitches

Last edited:

DaJMasta

Jun 12, 2004
No need to go bullets. The variety on weapons helps keep gameplay interesting and gives you more options on how to get things done.

I personally favor projectile weapons of ut more than instant hit weapons, but that's just me.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
Hyage: why don't you go make a weapons mod to demonstrate your point?

That would be very interesting and already in the work in some ways. I'm finishing a Game Design Document to start it, but start scripting at the same time to become more familiar with it. :eek:

The twists I was talking about will be implemented in that project.
But it isn't for tomorrow. More like months and years ;) for both singleplayer & multiplayer. :rolleyes:

One thing is sure, it will not play like any other actual FPS.

Last edited:

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
Reloading isn't necessary in UT3, but slowing down the game with Slomo 0.9 makes a huge difference on the Teamwork in CQB or medium range battles.

Too fast = no teamplay
Too slow = no gameflow

Just tell me how, changing all weapons to hitscan would benefit gameplay/teamplay? I don't see the connection. Last time I saw similar attempt (or at least it turned out to be a hitscan fest - TAM) that did nothing to teamplay. More like killed it.

hmmm I just read your post, but why are you talking about hitscans???
Gears of War isn't using the Hitscan technique at all and that isn't very great in term of gameplay for a Shooter game. :(
Think about a rocket, but faster... it's all what it is about.

Last edited:

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
I'm glad the sniper rifle's back, hated the lightning gun in all honesty, took the feeling of sniping away. Though I do agree they should add maybe one more weapon (auto-rifle ontop of the minigun), though they shouldn't remove any of the current weapons.

Gears of War isn't using the Hitscan technique at all and that isn't very great in term of gameplay for a Shooter game. :(

Honestly, I'd like to see more games with the style of movement you had in GoW. Ducking behind objects makes the game much more realistic, and it was one of my biggest gripes about FPS's until GoW's ingame movement came about.

Last edited:

daloonie

sex boobs nude
Feb 7, 2004
Denmark
www.daloonie.com
Freon did give it more teamplay. But in all honesty you have to admit this is what kept ut2k4 alive till the ut3 launch and still is keeping it live.

I know titan onslaught has a freon server full every night of the week.

doctorpoochyd1.jpg

Doctor Pooch says:
In all honesty hyrage, you're talking about changing a game, that is a moderate success(atleast on ps3), into something it was never meant to be?

Ofcourse there could be more weapons but it if you ask me they would serve no purpose as the game has all the weapons to make a great game. Getting more weapons stuffed in will only make it more confusing(I still miss the ripper though).
But if you like your bullet weapons go play some of the mods around or something.

Last edited:

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
If you want gears of war weapons, go play gears of war.

It's called Unreal because it's NOT realistic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.