Addon Idea - Get Out Of Jail Free Card

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
I came up with this idea whilst playin Jailbreak online chattin about mutators. Here's how it would work: The get out of jail free card would spawn in a random place in the map were it is picked up. when someone picks it up, when they are next in jail they can choose whether to use it or not to get out of jail. they are then teleported back to there base. Bot support for deciding whether to use it could work from the bot aggresion level. ie more aggressive use it straight away etc. I would try and make it myself, but I don't know how to do it and anyway I'm trying to work on a few maps at the moment. Including a jailbreak map.

Everyone who was on the kokrull jailbreak server at the time thought it would be a good idea and i hope they weren't the only ones.

Tell me what you think and let me know if you know how to/want to make it

Thanks

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
I like it :)

To make this we would need:

1.A model of the pickup. I think it would be a good idea to make something in the same sort of general style as the release switch. Maybe we could even use the key model Rev made.
2. some code to spawn it in random places. We can do it like the Relics system in UT :)
3. a HUD icon to tell the player they possess this item
4. a means for them to use it (and something on screen to remind them how to use it). Do Power-ups work in jail? Perhaps we can just use one of the power-up combo moves, like Back-Back-Back-Back.
5. something that detects use, and teleports them home
6. bot support.

You'd have to decide somet rules too:
* when a player is carrying the card, can other players see this?
* how many cards are there? is there only ever one?

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
Thanks for the feedback so far:

In reply to Tarquin:

1. Sounds like a great idea
2. Yup. ChaosUT has code like this for randomly spawning GravBelts
3. would definetly need that.
4. You couldn't have b,b,b,b as if you have adrenilane u'd start the regen combo and you might not want to. Is a console command easily done? You could just type in GETMEOUT in the console. for people who do not know this command, when u join/start the game a line of text comes up on the screen sayin what to do.
5. I'm not a coder someone else will have to answer that one.
6. Would be helpfull. lol

A message comes up sayin **** has a get out of jail free card. this could be configurable though. It also shows when you press F1

1 card at a time. when one picks one up another does not respawn untill that one has been used.

Keep coming up with ideas please. especially if you could code this.

Mychaeel

What about simply automatically using the "card" when the player is jailed -- somewhat like the way the Redemption relic used to work when you were killed?

Actually, in fact, this is a lot like the redemption relic: Instead of spawning in jail you simply respawn in freedom (with a cool first- and third-person effect at the place where you vanished).

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
Mychaeel said:
What about simply automatically using the "card" when the player is jailed -- somewhat like the way the Redemption relic used to work when you were killed?

Actually, in fact, this is a lot like the redemption relic: Instead of spawning in jail you simply respawn in freedom (with a cool first- and third-person effect at the place where you vanished).

That could work, but would you really want to be released straight away if you knew your teammate is 2 seconds from the release switch. It would be a waste of the card. I would prefer it so that you can wait and get out normally and only use it if things are looking bleak.

I definetly would love to see cool effects when you get released. Another thing, I think other players should know when the card has been used so that they know to look for another one.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
Mychaeel said:
What if the card was an inventory item like a weapon, could be switched to (and would then visually appear as if held in your hand) and could be activated by pressing "Fire" when selected?

^ Genuis Idea one thing, we would want it to still work with mutaters like IG

ZedMaestro

Useless
May 18, 2003
Dorset, England
Visit site
The inventory idea where you switch your weapon to it is a good idea... What about the stupid people who would use it outside of jail? If we prevented them switching to it outside jail, n00bs might think "omg i dont have the key". And what if they try to use it in the arena? Hehe, maybe make them llamas for trying to do something lame :)

Powerups do work in jail if you chose this route instead.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
In reply to wormbo:

Good, i'm glad about that since i only play IG

In reply to ZedMaestro:

You have a good point there. I never though of that. Heres a couple of thought:
1. can't select key outside of jail like you said
2. Can select it and when used turn u into a llama
3. You definetly wouldn't want it too work in an arena. perhaps code it so that if you have a Jail Card you can't do arena matchs

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
RevBillyG said:
A quick'n'dirty 3dmax mock-up

It may be quick and dirty but that would be perfect. Needs a better looking emmiter thou IMO. I may be jumping to conclusions here but you weren't thinking of haveing the base aswell were you, because it would look untidy on levels with terrain.

If possible I would love this mod to use that jail card look (that is unless you were planning on making one that wasn't quick and dirty). I like the writing on it too.

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
ZedMaestro said:
The inventory idea where you switch your weapon to it is a good idea... What about the stupid people who would use it outside of jail? If we prevented them switching to it outside jail, n00bs might think "omg i dont have the key". And what if they try to use it in the arena? Hehe, maybe make them llamas for trying to do something lame :)

I think llamaizing is a bad idea.
Firstly it makes this add-on a lot more complicated (in terms of user interaction).
Second, llamaizing is for cheating. Using the "get out of jail" card when you're not in jail is STOOPID, but it's not cheating.

Using it out of jail could either mean you drop it for someone else to pick up, or it vanishes from your inventory, or you get a mesage saying 'it don't work here', or nothing happens at all.

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
maybe better: When picking up the get-out-of-jail-free-card (Nova has GTA3 flashback), a little yellow (so you notice better ;)) card shows up in your hud somewhere and behind your nick in the F1-hud (dunno how to call it :p). When pressing 'E' (for as far as I know, you don't use it in JBmaps anyway) when in jail, will teleport you to a playerstart. Optional: Pressing 'E' when out of jail, you'll drop it, so a teammate can use it (throw into jail?). When someone holds a card and the whole team is jailed, the player who holds the card will be forcibly teleported to a playerstart and with 3 sec protection.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
tarquin said:
I think llamaizing is a bad idea.
Firstly it makes this add-on a lot more complicated (in terms of user interaction).
Second, llamaizing is for cheating. Using the "get out of jail" card when you're not in jail is STOOPID, but it's not cheating.

Using it out of jail could either mean you drop it for someone else to pick up, or it vanishes from your inventory, or you get a mesage saying 'it don't work here', or nothing happens at all.

your first point is very true, perhaps instead of llama, just make the person who miss-uses the card like like a complete n00b. You could have a message saying something like "****doesn't understand what Get out of Jail means!!"

I reckon being able to drop the card could be a good idea. I've looked at it from both sides. 1: you can drop the card so a better player who is more likely to be usefull outside of jail can use it. 2: this may spoil the point of it being randomly placed in the map. as 1 person could sit and do nothing whilst some1 goes and gets him the card.

RabidZombie

Freshly Removed Brains at half price!
Apr 29, 2004
I think if they use it at bad time just make em loose it... may be harsh... but it'll make em learn quicker LOL

you could make different settings like you can choose witch meyhod you want... or have em all! to be honest i dont care... as long as it works! Great idea The_Head... i wish i was there... i usually am... dam i have to be busy at the worst time!

Last edited:

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
jrubzjeknf said:
maybe better: When picking up the get-out-of-jail-free-card (Nova has GTA3 flashback), a little yellow (so you notice better ;)) card shows up in your hud somewhere and behind your nick in the F1-hud (dunno how to call it :p). When pressing 'E' (for as far as I know, you don't use it in JBmaps anyway) when in jail, will teleport you to a playerstart. Optional: Pressing 'E' when out of jail, you'll drop it, so a teammate can use it (throw into jail?). When someone holds a card and the whole team is jailed, the player who holds the card will be forcibly teleported to a playerstart and with 3 sec protection.

I'l start by saying where have you been Nova, ain't seen you online for ages. Now back to the thread topic.

Pressin E to get out of jail is a better idea than an extra weapon. I'd advance it to hold it down for a second or something as it can easily be pressed by accident (assuming you use asdw for movement)

Throwing into jail would be interesting, make it take a few seconds to give another player inside jail the card so as to leave them vunreble, problem is how would u throw the card. some jails are'n't next to the map ie JB-nosense (god i hate that map)

I don't agree with last point there mate, :D It should your fault that you forgot to use it, when everyone is captured the card should then be reset.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
RabidZombie said:
I think if they use it at bad time just make em loose it... may be harsh... but it'll make em learn quicker LOL

you could make different settings like you can choose witch meyhod you want... or have em all! to be honest i dont care... as long as it works! Great idea The_Head... i wish i was there... i usually am... dam i have to be busy at the worst time!

:lol: :lol: :lol: LOL AT THE ZOMBIE!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would like to see loads of options but it would just make it harder tomake, take longer to download from a server and confuse stupid people (no offense to stupid people over the world :lol: )

RevBillyG

Taking over the world.
Nov 10, 1999
That wasn't an emitter in that pic. It was just me putting a quick effect around the card. Hell, even the map wasnt real (the background) :)

I just pinched that card texture from Monopoly.