Unreal Engine 3 Features @ GDC 2009

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Axon.Gorge

Is it cold in here, or is it just me?
Feb 8, 2009
[GU]elmur_fud;2272998 said:
Format flexability: Native support for .psd import is a plus, no .dds support is a minus. Removeing .lwo but not adding in another filetype is a big minus. And yes I see the .t3d but that was an option available under import/export on UT2k4, it's nice that they added it to the resource browser but not new. BTW not every1 uses 3D Max or Gmax. Did autodesk pay them to exclude lightwave?

I think you got a bit of a point there, even with code the mod system is only just starting to become something reliable. To be fair 2k3 didnt have a mod system at all either on launch.

There are still plenty of workflow problems and its a wonder Epic gets things done as swiftly as they do (I put it down to kickarse coders :)). When you say missing support for x filetype, there is something majorly wrong, people should be able to store the files in either raw/compressed format. It shouldnt take 3rd party support to get files in there, epic should be able to support numerous formats :cool:

Another thing with UT3 was basically nothing could be exported from the editor, now sure theres probably ways around this but when compared to the ease it is done in unrealed3.

One eg here might be as they show in the clip, making a new material for a mesh. Well if drag n drop is the extent of what their artists actually do then Id expect Epic's next title to be a major drop in graphical quality. So you need to get the mesh out and in the program you can actually paint on the mesh with up there, unless ofcoarse I missed the new UE Modelling/UVW mapping part!

[GU]elmur_fud;2273059 said:
It's not just alot more work. There is a substantial amount more that is needed to be known. Those that are succeeding at mapping for UT3 are either just using stock or already knew how to model with 3Dmax. They already knew how to make a high poly model and bake it out for it's normal maps, diffuse maps, leght maps, and textures. And those same people are often code savy enough to use the programming tools in the editor to create there kismet sequence. If you already know all that then filling in the gaps and learning the new methods is no big deal but if you don't then you are most likely going to be overwhelmed by a monsterous learning curve.

Most of the cummunity made maps based off other peoples models because they couldn't model themselves. Most of them never even tried asking permission. I learned lightwave for 3 reasons; #1. Tracking down the author of every custom asset and securing their permission to use their work was a huge pain in the arse. #2. I couldn't always find what I wanted. And #3. Once I set about to learn how to model I found lightwave much easier to learn.

Im glad I got into 3dsmax when I did (dont get me wrong though Im not an autodesk drone :p) its just what I have been and prefer to use as a modelling package. It too shares workflow problems, UVW mapping for eg is a pain in the arse (mind you the new tools make it better and better) but the window overlapping and the whole 'non-plugin' more like slapped on after feel is terrible.

To me its obvious Epic is not aiming at modders at all (or just any joe blow in the biz) with this clip, they certainly have plenty of people using their engine. So this was more like a shareholders meeting (unfortunatly) where Epic is reassuring everyone their investment is safe. Wether or not any of us mere mortals see any of the new tech in the near future remains to be unseen. If companies do use Lightmass or superblowmeoutoftheuRay it will show on the end product, without an eye you wont even notice.

All I see is a render farm compiling a map, call me crazy but Im less then impressed! Maybe it wasnt us average joes they were trying to impress :lol:

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
Another thing with UT3 was basically nothing could be exported from the editor, now sure theres probably ways around this but when compared to the ease it is done in unrealed3.

That is because of the cooking-system. You could uncook the packages and export easily, though.

Axon.Gorge

Is it cold in here, or is it just me?
Feb 8, 2009
There is a way to uncook? I know you can do the bit with the cache so you can duplicate, I wasnt aware of an exporter. With levels do static meshes not export anymore either? Maybe thats only for Epic's (cooked) stuff perhaps.

Either way its still more difficult, being able to go between whatever modelling program and unrealed rapidly is a 'must' theres no doubts in my mind about that! Its either that or including those types of features in unrealed, the former is probably a safer choice with many drawbacks.

Also Im not saying the graphics in the clip arnt impressive, Im just saying from a technology standpoint the browser tagging is a highlight we barely got to see. Instead we see drag n drop that isnt all that useful unless there was an 'in-editor' uwv mapping tool. There probably is more to the browser now that we havent seen, especially since it looks so much sleeker now so we can assume its been worked on a fair bit. I would have like to seen alittle more in actual working type speed instead of chopped, Im sure we will see more in the future so I'll just wait around :p