War on brats

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NiftyBoy

Dandified
Mar 29, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
Wow, nice way to use a completely unrelated topic to take a passing stab at liberals. Politics != this thread kthx.

The problem a lot of people have with physical punishment of a child is that, as is generally believed by psychologists, punishment may be effective but it has the consequence of producing other negative behaviors if there is no positive alternative to the child's behavior offered. What I think that bakery should've done is given the kids a cookie on the way out after they had shut up the rest of the time. Forking over goods to try to placate really doesn't work, and I bet half the time the kids there scream to get a cookie because they know they will :tdown:

And beating your kid for every little thing he does (which is what "libs", and most noninsane people, have the problem with) doesn't show them a positive outcome for anything they do. Despite what some people say, I'd wager you need both positive and negative rewards to raise a non-****ed-up kid :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
detnews.com said:
...really what they're saying is they don't welcome children, they want the child to behave like an adult
That's a problem with today's world: there are too many uptight adults who forget that they weren't absolutely saintly when they were young.

Yes, the parents have a responsibility to teach their kids (when they're old enough to understand) that when they go into a restaurant, they mustn't scream and shout. Yes, there are some people who clearly aren't cut out to be a parent, judging from their actions when their kids start to play up. But kids aren't robots with off switches, as much as some people would like them to be.

Besides, many of those who fume over their coffee at the sound of kids screaming will one day think their new-born baby is the most beautiful thing in the world, and its cry is the sweetest sound ever.

GotBeer?

The nozzle is now calibrating
Mar 10, 2004
57th State
MediocreTangerine said:
Wow, nice way to use a completely unrelated topic to take a passing stab at liberals. Politics != this thread kthx.
Sorry, must have forgot my own ;) when I said "See, I can generalize too!", which was a response to some other posters' broad generalizations of parents.

MediocreTangerine said:
And beating your kid for every little thing he does (which is what "libs", and most noninsane people, have the problem with) doesn't show them a positive outcome for anything they do. Despite what some people say, I'd wager you need both positive and negative rewards to raise a non-****ed-up kid :p
I didn't recommend "beating" children, I mentioned that a single whack on the ass is too often considered abuse nowadays. I've read multiple news articles where a parent has had police or Child Protective Services called on them by some random bystander for giving an out-of-control child a single swat in a grocery store/park/wherever. I even have a friend that had Child Services called on her because her just-learning-to-walk toddler had a bruise on his face from the coffee table! My sister-in-law received a lecture from a woman after smacking her 4yr old daughter on the back of the hand and saying "No!" after just saying "No!" several times failed to keep her out of the purse of the lady at the next table. The very same woman who ended up lecturing her. That's the kind of thing I was referencing. I'm all for rewarding positive behavior. "Pat on the head/kick in the ass", ya know?

Xaero

Who Dey!
Oct 11, 2003
Cincinnati
www.xaero.us
Kim Cavitt recalled having coffee and a cookie one afternoon with her boisterous 2-year-old when "someone came over and said you just need to keep her quiet or you need to leave."

"We left, and we haven't been back since," Cavitt said.

Then it sounds like everything worked out for the better.

Seriously, I'm sick of these princess-types that want everyone and everything to bend to their will. If your kid can't behave, he's not welcome. We are not a daycare. simple enough. Now here in the US, we have places outside where we can't smoke because these princess types don't want to walk though it. Like those diet suppliments your taking are any healthier for your body.

Personal responsibility FTW!

Bean 3:16

Apr 27, 2000
Visit site
BlAcK_PlAgUe22 said:
Cat Fuzz said:
You people talking all this crap that don't have kids don't even have a ****ing clue. STFU.
Cap'n Beeb said:
Well excuuuuuuuuuse me princess.

On a side note, BUF rules declares children of all ages have to be less trolly. That's you Fuzz.

Look, it isn't that hard to take care of this. Guess what...when you decided to have kids, in reality, you don't have rights anymore. YOU decided you wanted to start a family, so guess what, it is YOUR responsibility to make sure they don't cause a ruckus for everyone else. It was YOUR choice, not theirs. My parents didn't take me out as a kid, and if I was a brat, I got dealt with. That's how it should be, but God forbid you let other people tell you to hush up your sh*tty kid. I mean, it is YOUR RIGHT to screw up your kid, isn't it? Get real.

Sam_The_Man

I am the Hugh Grant of Thatcherism
Mar 26, 2000
England
Visit site
If dogs aren't allowed in restaurants, children certainly shouldn't be. Much as I dislike dogs, at least they shut the hell up when you give them what they want.

You know, really, all we need to ask is that children get treated the same as adults. Start shouting and making everyone's lives miserable, you get asked to stop, and if you don't you go out the door. 'Being young' isn't any more of an excuse than 'being drunk'.

NiftyBoy

Dandified
Mar 29, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
Yeah that is really stupid Got Beer :( Spanking or a swat on the ass is not abuse. People are way too lenient with their kids these days and as a result, you get less discipline while the parents just zone out. I'd like to say the sheer rudeness I experience from teens just a few years younger than me is a result of this, but that's probably just the usual percentage of teenagers that are dickholes.

It's just sad that people seem to think only one side of the spectrum will make kids balanced. Nothing but praise and you get little hellions. Nothing but punishment, and you get little *******s. Somewhere in the middle is the best, I think.

BobCobb

Society is a leech on me!
Sep 20, 2002
The Compound
Visit site
Clearly if you can't stop your children from ramming themselves into the display counters, you are ****ty parent. Stay out of public unitl you teach your children to behave properly in public. Problem solved.

For people that cannot handle the fact that they have 4 kids because they forgot how to use a condom, and those children are out of control, you are stupid. Children may be a little crazy, but they are simple creatures for the most part. It isn't that hard to control them.

And for the record, I have no children of my own, however I did work at my mothers preschool for many years, and can handle children better than many parents I have seen.

missPoopShoot

voodoo rage
Jul 13, 2003
Cambridge, UK
Visit site
GotBeer? said:
As for the 'kids are loud and their voices bother my delicate ears' crap, I've been to plenty of restaurants and coffee shops where the 'adults' were the problem. Just 2wks ago I took my 8month old daughter into a coffee shop while my truck was being worked on. She was fine, it was the 5 20-ish 'adults' seated around a 2ft wide table speaking at a volume suitable for an across-the-room conversation that were drawing the disgusted looks from other patrons. And then there are the cell phone users.

Me said:
The point is, if someone creates a restaurant for well-behaved children and adults, then that is who should go there.

You're absolutely right, annoying adults can f*ck off just as much as annoying kids. If not more so ;)

[IsP]KaRnAgE

You Can Be My Wingman
Jul 24, 2001
The Highway to the Danger Zone
Yelling and screaming in a restaurant and running around climbing the POLES isn't normal child behavior FFS. My sister and I never DARED do something that stupid. If we were too loud in public, we got shushed and that was that. I'm sick of seeing little kids running around without manners these days. There is no fricking excuse. I was raised to behave as were most of my friends. I don't understand the problem, dammit. Now crying little babies in a restaurant is a little different. But crying babies in THEATRES should be BANNED. BANNED BANNED BANNED. Especially if the movie isn't G rated. :mad:

El JuaKo

Fear the Mariachi
Dec 13, 2003
restaurants should have a kid area, where families can eat with their children, with likle cristal doors to isolate the noise, and special services special for mothers and kids and the rest of the restaurant its like a normal one.
that way everyone wins, nobody ahs to tolerate screaming, and the mothers dont have to suffer angry stares or comments while having an imporved service just for them
aint i a genious?

DeeperShade

Banned
Dec 8, 2000
www.tar-valon.com
Cap'n Beeb said:
That's wasteful. How about we use all undisciplined/loud/obnoxious children as experimental ammunition for a particular cannon I'm constructing?

The Department for the Burning and Mutilation of Children has approximately 900 million children at it's disposal. I'm sure we can find a way to sanction your experiments.

Plumb_Drumb said:
the Geneva convention or something.

And ofcourse, Burning children is just sooooo legal.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Cap'n Beeb said:
That's wasteful. How about we use all undisciplined/loud/obnoxious children as experimental ammunition for a particular cannon I'm constructing?

I demand to see a protoype in Garry's Mod!