Zen Koan "A Cup of Tea"

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Silver_Ibex

Feb 27, 2001
Nan-in, a Japanese master during the Meiji era (1868-1912), received a university professor who came to inquire about Zen.

Nan-in served tea. He poured his visitor's cup full, and then kept on pouring.

The professor watched the overflow until he no longer could restrain himself. "It is overfull. No more will go in!"

"Like this cup," Nan-in said, "you are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?"

Wikkan

Dickhead Fulfilled!
Feb 15, 2001
To be zenful you must not be full of your own speculations and opinions. The cup isn't full, he just says it is. The cup is the universe, with unlimited capacity. Why should the cup listen to the man?

Silver_Ibex

Feb 27, 2001
Zenful???
Yes!
Very insightful and well put.

Prize... How about some more funny stories...

Nasrudin walked into a teahouse and declaimed, "The moon is more useful than the sun." "Why?" he was asked. "Because at night we need the light more."

One day the King decided that he would force all his subjects to tell the truth. A gallows was erected in front of the city gates. A herald announced, "Whoever would enter the city must first answer the truth to a question which will be put to him." Nasrudin was first in line. The captain of the guard asked him, "Where are you going? Tell the truth -- the alternative is death by hanging." "I am going," said Nasrudin, "to be hanged on that gallows." "I don't believe you." "Very well, if I have told a lie, then hang me!" "But that would make it the truth!" "Exactly," said Nasrudin, "your truth."

A neighbour came to Nasrudin, asking to borrow his donkey. "It is out on loan," the teacher replied. At that moment, the donkey brayed loudly inside the stable. "But I can hear it bray, over there." "Whom do you believe," asked Nasrudin, "me or a donkey?"

Nasrudin called at a large house to collect for charity. The servant said "My master is out." Nasrudin replied, "Tell your master that next time he goes out, he should not leave his face at the window. Someone might steal it."

:D

Last edited:

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
The cup is neither full nor empty, for you see... there is no cup.

-Keiichi

crash*

no job too small, no fee too large
Mar 17, 2001
Downrange
Only gaming forums I think you could possibly ever see koans NOT flamed into oblivion.
I love this place.

the lack of the cup eliminates the need for the spoon. problem solved. become one with the coffee......