UT3 Oggextract: tool to extract music and sounds from upk files

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ionium

Dec 30, 2005
hey there, yesterday I stumbled on your neat little program, while I was looking for something to extract mass effect sounds and music. I was a little annoyed that the filename wouldn't get extracted, so I gave a shot at messing around with the code.

It should name properly the extracted audio, and an output dir can be specified. I rewritten the whole main function, added lots of comments, and turned it into c++. However, because I used windows.h, its only for windows, but only a few functions need to be changed to make it linux compatible. I included the source code, the exe, and the visual studio 2005 sln.

I hope someone will find this useful.

How to use it? Everytime I try extract.exe soundfile.upk sounds, it doesnt work, says exporting 0 files...

Glorfindel

May 8, 2010
I did move the cygwin1.dll that came with the oggextractor to the same directory, though, and it still says that it can't find it.

Edit: That's weird, I used the cygwin1.dll you linked to, and it worked once, but now I'm getting the same error again.

vista 32 bit or 64 bit?

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I have to say thanks once again to both Nereid and Psy_Commando for this, it works on Mass Effect just perfectly.
(I can't believe the Mass Effect soundtrack doesn't include the awesome Virmire Combat music...)

von Boomslang

Oct 2, 2010
Hmm. Trying the extractor on files from The Scourge Project, the first one works, the second one doesn't (extracting 0 files). Much thanks anyway.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
How to use it? Everytime I try extract.exe soundfile.upk sounds, it doesnt work, says exporting 0 files...

Missed this.
If there is audio it should extract something. Not every upk labeled as audio actually contains audio, some just have nodes. You can usually tell based off the filesize. Extraction only seems to work properly on x32. If you're using a 64bit OS it will extract garbage. The files will be created but none of them seem to be created properly; unplayable.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Missed this.
If there is audio it should extract something. Not every upk labeled as audio actually contains audio, some just have nodes. You can usually tell based off the filesize. Extraction only seems to work properly on x32. If you're using a 64bit OS it will extract garbage. The files will be created but none of them seem to be created properly; unplayable.

I'm using Win7 x64 and it extracts things just fine.

(Note: 64-bit = x64, 32-bit = x86 :) )

DJHicks

Oct 10, 2011
So Sorry to "necro post" but i was sent over to here via google and have now registered as i'm really enjoying all the reading here.

I was wondering if anyone could upload the Ogg Extracter as the address in the OP is not working.

Most appreciated thank you very much!

Nereid

・ ω ・
Apr 15, 2003
Vancouver
Oops, sorry, the DNS thing for that domain was out of date. Should be working now, or at least in a few hours.

edit: Actually I just changed the link to a domain name I actually try to maintain. Hopefully it never goes down now.

Last edited:

Squishpoke

Oct 28, 2011
C:\Windows\System32 C:\Users\MyUserName\Desktop\oggextract\oggextract.exe
Usage: oggextract <filename>
C:\Windows\System32 oggextract A_Character_CorruptEnigma.upk
'oggextract' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

:(

http404error

Dec 19, 2011
Thank you so much! Works like a charm. (Used it on Mirror's Edge to great success).

Psy_Commando's version didn't work for me, though. I'm on Windows 7 x64, if that matters.

Squishpoke: you need to be in the folder containing the program to invoke it.

cd ..
cd ..
cd Users
cd MyUserName
cd Desktop
cd oggextract
oggextract A_Character_CorruptEnigma.upk

...Provided you copied that upk into the /oggextract/ folder on your desktop. It's not going to search the whole computer for that file.

For anyone else who needs help, this nifty guide was just a few google steps away: http://www.cs.princeton.edu/courses/archive/spr05/cos126/cmd-prompt.html

Last edited:

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
change directory to C:\Users\MyUserName\Desktop\oggextract\ , then run the command. you probably need to specify the complete path to the upk file too.
That or you just drop the oggextract.exe into the same folder as the .upk, navigate to that folder in cmd and then just execute oggextract A_Character_CorruptEnigma.upk

http404error

Dec 19, 2011
Thanks! Worked like a charm.

However, Psy_Commando's didn't work, even on files that worked with the original.

Last edited: