I got offered to be Concept artist for half life 2 mod

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ranger 223

MS Paint Pimp
May 26, 2002
you know what would rock? if this game was made to be a co-op only, and like one huge competition. the maps would be major cities, and thus, whoever wins the most battles would cause the development of their army. Like say the Axis captured New York. This would make the modmakers have more available recources for the germans, and new weapons and gear could be included for the axis. you know what i mean?

Nice stuff btw...

w00p

Windows at its best
I'm not sure, but those 2 axis' look way too medieval IMO...
Imagine what uniforms look like now, how bulky they are already, I don't think lots of soldiers would be jumpin' to have body armor plates in a material that looks like tin...
And though I like that new axis helmet (you can clearly see the developement), it looks a little too modern.

After all, I don't really think that in times of war, much money would be spent on technical stuff.
Just mass production of good weapons. Drop the bullpup and especially lasers(freon, I hope you where joking :p)! Look at WW2 mechanisms and put those in more robust and handy to carry frames.
make some nifty Iron Sights and stuff...
Make some moderate mods to the actual WW2 weapons. Not in meanings of a new visible line here and there, I mean larger barrel, longer barrel, different triggers, different magazines, smoother frame, entirely new IS' ...
This detail that I find that can change worlds to a weapons feel is the breadth. Thick weaps feel heavy, thin ones look better, but should be lower quality and more simple mechanism.
Also think about the sounds a bit... Breadth again, adds alot to the feeling. Thick ones would go *boof* *boof* and the thin ones more *tak* (INF M16-like)

I recommend looking at some quasi-modern looking weapons that are simply cool. Take some pieces from the FN FNC(all-time beauty), especially the frame smoothly morphing into the barrel at the front of the gun in a cone-like shape.
Then look a little at some modifications on the MG42...
See what makes MG42 and modern MG's different...
Compare an MG42 and an M2HB, RPK, and some minimi variants...
I highly recommend looking into the SIG 551... Thats simply a beauty, so add in that design for me, please? :p

Last edited:

Dr.J

Staying Alive.
Nov 25, 2001
Hong Kong
www.alkdjflakdjfksj.com
yeah i agree with predator there... the third german pic it looks like the guys dressed in multiple robes and stuff... and axis winter uniforms were chunky enough with the trenchcoat and stuff.... perhaps they found a way to make titanium cheap enough to just press into body armour :D ? or did they discover kevlar? i personally think that the armies would have a wide range of weapons in service.. i mean look at the beginning of WWII... the springfield 1903, mauser 98k, 1919 .30 cal were all in service so i think that what should happen is that with your new weapons, you should have a small percentage of old stuff hanging around... it proabably takes a while for weapons to completely phase out...

Profe

Jun 12, 2001
Visit site
Yeah maybe the armor doesn't seem practical but it sure gives it a nice fantasy feel. I say keep the armor, it looks cool and since im guessing this mod ain't going for realism I'd suggest you just have some fun modifying stuff around, weapons, armor, blahblah. Find some nice references of WW2 gear and add/change stuff around.

Ryan

banned
May 27, 2001
Puyallup WA
Visit site
hehe they sent me pics of that movie for a basis actuly,and dr j ....there is only 2 pictures of axis guys the rest are just random charecters ...so which are u talkign about exactly? ;) and as for my guns i havent made any yet really, the one in the pic is nothing new just added it so he would be carrying a gun in the pic. so all your recomendations are in my head now ;)

heh maybe i should show the mod leader this thread :D the inf comunity seems ready to tackle this mod :lol:

Dr.J

Staying Alive.
Nov 25, 2001
Hong Kong
www.alkdjflakdjfksj.com

Dr.J

Staying Alive.
Nov 25, 2001
Hong Kong
www.alkdjflakdjfksj.com
haha :D but anyway i was just thinking about the MP40 along the lines of your mod and then about that burning barrel and stock... i mean the MP5 stock is more practical and probably less fuss to get into position.. anyway heres a pic of what i think could be a MP40A1 (jaunty please dont flame me ;) ):

Attachments

• mp40mp5.gif
    mp40mp5.gif
    72.7 KB · Views: 41

Ryan

banned
May 27, 2001
Puyallup WA
Visit site
Spier said:
The third one is a Roman Legionare..At least I hope so :p.
yes it is :D i hope i wouldnt come up with something like that for a nazi design :lol: well i have been pretty busy latly but i just got an email with abunch of allied info for me to get started on. i think it was 4 or 5 different allied classes ;) so expect more soon ;)

Dr.J

Staying Alive.
Nov 25, 2001
Hong Kong
www.alkdjflakdjfksj.com
ahh sorry :p the helmet looked like an axis helmet with my demented viewing of the pic... i thought that most roman soldiers have that mohawk helmet... or is that just officers?? oh yeah so there would be 5 classes of each force to choose from?? great ;)

Ryan

banned
May 27, 2001
Puyallup WA
Visit site
hehe i really have no idea if the helmet i drew ever existed in real life, but it is some sort of roman guy :) and about the classes, i think i need to have the guy send me an email about what the hell this mod is gunna be....so far he hasn really mentioned anything, so i will have to ask him for more info ;)

Ryan

banned
May 27, 2001
Puyallup WA
Visit site
just alittle update , i finished off afew more pics of charecters and and he said if u had any ideas for weaponry go ahead and send em my way , so im gunna probly make my bran new M1 Carbine...any ideas are welcome =)

Ryan

banned
May 27, 2001
Puyallup WA
Visit site
ok heres the first gun concept ive done, an M2 mostly a mixture between an M1 carbine and an M14, except for the rectractable stock which niether had. It basicly has all the same technicle features as the M1 but with an upped cal, to 7.62. hope u like it

Attachments

• M2-1.jpg
    M2-1.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 31

Ryan

banned
May 27, 2001
Puyallup WA
Visit site
2 allied soldiers, with afew different gas mask looks, and afew un-needed things for style :lol:

Attachments

• allie-1.JPG
    allie-1.JPG
    177.9 KB · Views: 31
  • allie-2.JPG
    allie-2.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 37