Every Unreal Game Ever for $14

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
UT2003 doesn't exist. I love how that is just the accepted train of thought. :lol:

1x.

UT99 Instagib 'ladder' champion
Oct 25, 2009
U.S.A. (West)
Personally; i wouldn't bother buying anything from Steam, there are several online retailers who sell this cheap all the time and have free or cheap shipping, i don't need the headache of Steam's little integrated garbage trying to take my system over, it sucks the life right out of lan play as well in my experience, if they have things their way they will be the only distribution method of the future, more hype making people think their being catered to when in reality their being bamboozled out of options and features.

I like Steam even less than gamespy, the reasons should be obvious.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
Personally; i wouldn't bother buying anything from Steam, there are several online retailers who sell this cheap all the time and have free or cheap shipping, i don't need the headache of Steam's little integrated garbage trying to take my system over, it sucks the life right out of lan play as well in my experience, if they have things their way they will be the only distribution method of the future, more hype making people think their being catered to when in reality their being bamboozled out of options and features.

I like Steam even less than gamespy, the reasons should be obvious.

STEAM IS STEALING MY RIGHTS ARGAHAH

:tinfoil:

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
20 usd here in europe. Yeah, it's a good deal but most of us have most/all of those games already.

I went ahead and bought the UT games on gog just because I like their drm (or lack of) better, even though I had all of them on cd/dvd and they were cheaper on steam.

1x.

Oct 25, 2009
U.S.A. (West)
STEAM IS STEALING MY RIGHTS ARGAHAH

:tinfoil:

:rolleyes:
Translation = "you can't refute the fact that Steam sucks"

your still over here advertising for Steam i see ..

If your not and your truly one of the few blissful/clueless people who really think Steam worth dealing with don't take it personal just because you made this thread and i don't care for Steam. (unless of course your lame, then take it personal all you like because you might not have anything better to do with your time) - I'm a nice person but that tinfoil crap and mockery was uncalled for :( don't you have anything better to do with your time on Christmas day??

LordFarqWad

Dec 16, 2009
BLAH BLAH BLAH MUMBO JUMBO

The black helicopters are circling your house right now. :eek:

Steam is for $@#$^%, you want some bloat ware to run behind your game be my guest. You'll be that much easier to frag (what servers do you play in?) :D

My personal experience with steam has been very negative. You want to talk about causing unnecessary trauma. It would be one thing if they wanted to let you digitally d/l then left you alone but to always have steam running to play I'll pass! I don't care if they sold it for 10 cents.

MeStinkBAD

Lurking where you least suspect...
Dec 26, 2000
Tucson, Arizona
I see you people really are still stuck in the 1990s... I'm not fond of steam myself... but that's cuz I'm no longer fond of PC gaming. But what you say about steam being bloatware... or taking over your system... etc etc... this isn't true. You only need Steam to launch games.

1x.

Oct 25, 2009
U.S.A. (West)
I see you people really are still stuck in the 1990s... I'm not fond of steam myself... but that's cuz I'm no longer fond of PC gaming. But what you say about steam being bloatware... or taking over your system... etc etc... this isn't true. You only need Steam to launch games.

I disagree, for us it has caused problems when trying to play LFD1 & 2 on lan, it tries to autoupdate the game constantly (this can be both good and bad) with causing version mismatches i'd prefer to download a single patch and update each machine myself at a time of my own choosing (people on wireless broadband have caps on bandwidth - not to mention the poor people on dial-up still) some features can be disabled and there is a play offline mode but it can be argumentative and unreliable at best; it is not very intuitive, not only that but when you want to play multiplayer on lan otherwise it causes various other issues and is a general pain in the neck to deal with due to its highly integrated design. - But since you don't play PC games - you wouldn't know about any of this.

Take a retail copy of UT3 ((Steam Free)) and none of these issues mentioned are present. - Unfortunately this isn't an option with the L4D series.

As far as your comment about being stuck in the 90's ..
Lame.gif

MeStinkBAD

Lurking where you least suspect...
Dec 26, 2000
Tucson, Arizona
1x, I said I don't bother playing games on PCs (Windows) anymore. At least not like I used too.

Finding and downloading patches, for example, is a pain. I just installed UT3 on my PC after years of neglect. Installing the patch plus the expansion (titan) was a god damn pain. Much more difficult than I expected... of course this is getting of topic (I also have the PS3 verson of UT3, lot less hassel).

The problems you describe are a common occurrence w/ gaming on Windows. It's why I don't bother anymore...

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
There is no Unreal II XMP as well!
...although it's free anyway.

I'm not too fond of Steam as well, but having popups and updates off + offline mode on does help to cope with all that. And one good thing is that you don't need to install Steam on another computer/OS if you want your programs there, you can just launch the Steam executable and it will adapt itself.

1x.

Oct 25, 2009
U.S.A. (West)
1x, I said I don't bother playing games on PCs (Windows) anymore. At least not like I used too.

Finding and downloading patches, for example, is a pain. I just installed UT3 on my PC after years of neglect. Installing the patch plus the expansion (titan) was a god damn pain. Much more difficult than I expected... of course this is getting of topic (I also have the PS3 verson of UT3, lot less hassel).

The problems you describe are a common occurrence w/ gaming on Windows. It's why I don't bother anymore...

Fair enough - i respect that, but when you make it sound like anyone who looks at things differently isn't up with the tech & times then that's not cool, is it? - you seem like a decent guy but i don't understand why you have to be so bitter toward the PC platform, it's certainly your choice. My dislike toward Steam stems from my own personal experience (being bad) others will have completely different view I have no doubt.

Personally I like PC gaming & console gaming, 2 entirely different experiences, while I prefer PC gaming for reasons we don't need to get into in this thread, I don't anticipate anyone and everyone who doesn't agree with me must live in a cave. There are good people playing on all different platforms. (thinking out loud)

Mardok

Dec 31, 2009
On the topic about Steam:

It does seem amoral to have anti-piracy, anti-cheating, anti-whatever running in the background (or whatever it runs), but unfortunately Valve's philosophy about PC gaming at the convenience for the user is more up-to-date than most other developers.

Torrents are running amuck. Whether or not it's really hurting the company is a completely different topic, but since Valve assumed that it was, they definitely had it right when it comes to preventing piracy without inconveniencing the user. Some people may have problems with Steam when it comes to bugs and crashes, and that's inexcusable, but I don't know who wouldn't be more happy to get rid of DRM and be able to install and play their games on any machine that they want as long as they're logged into their Steam account.

I agree with 1x.'s gripe about wanting to install which patches you want. The user should have control over HIS GAME. An option in Steam to select which patch you want would be really nice, if not extremely open to many bugs appearing in games. Downgrading to a certain patch would probably require the user to re-download the entire game. Unless maybe Steam runs some Unix-like diff commands on the game files and...

...hang on I gotta go to the drawing board to work this out.

Last edited:

i_hax

member since Jan07... didn't survive
Jan 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
You want to talk about causing unnecessary trauma. It would be one thing if they wanted to let you digitally d/l then left you alone but to always have steam running to play I'll pass! I don't care if they sold it for 10 cents.

^ My thoughts exactly.

Although, my main gripe is I really don't like it being forced upon the end user. Optional? Sure - Required? Not cool. IMO, it's among the worst DRM that could ever be placed on a game. I dread the day there is a Steam-required game that I want to play... I will probably not play it if only to show my distaste for such a controlling system.

If Steam (or other) becomes required for PC gaming, I won't be supporting it anymore. I haven't pirated games before, but the way things are going makes me consider it...

LordFarqWad

Dec 16, 2009
^ My thoughts exactly.

Although, my main gripe is I really don't like it being forced upon the end user. Optional? Sure - Required? Not cool. IMO, it's among the worst DRM that could ever be placed on a game. I dread the day there is a Steam-required game that I want to play... I will probably not play it if only to show my distaste for such a controlling system.

If Steam (or other) becomes required for PC gaming, I won't be supporting it anymore. I haven't pirated games before, but the way things are going makes me consider it...

Steam wants to make pirating every bodies problem. Nothing like making the consumer jump through hoops because at some point the software will be pirated. :umno:

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Steam beats the hell out of other forms of DRM. At least it's all consolidated into one program and you have the ability to install on multiple machines, as well as the nice community tools.

I was skeptical about it, but after using Steam for awhile I consider myself a convert. I have never had a technical issue due to Steam, it doesn't slow games down on a reasonably new computer, and the ability to consolidate the management of all your games into one larger shell is very nice. Steam is also an excellent marketplace for indie games to get exposure.

Digital rights management of some kind or another is something computer gamers are going to have to face, and imho Steam is the lesser of a variety of potential evils. If developers couldn't do this they'd probably abandon the platform entirely because of piracy.