Make a Character Climb a Tree?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

jburton

Feb 20, 2010
UK
Hi all,

I have a problem i want to solve, i have a small character who's almost ready to be put into my game, here's the difficult part, i wan't this small character to climb a tree, a static mesh, and be able to scurry around it, and possibly even be able to jump from tree to tree.

The character needs to do this to negotiate certain obstacles and avoid enemies, it's quite a crucial mechanic to the game. Though not not forced to have this fully functional, i need to demonstrate some kind of solution that atleast semi-adresses the problem, that would be a big breakthrough.

Basically,

Any ideas or theories on an approach to this would be greatly appreciated, i have the character almost ready, tree meshes modelled, im just not entirely sure how to approach this on the scripting side of things, is this even possible?

Thanks al,

jb

EDIT:- Wrong Topic, reposted in UT3/UDK Coding Section..

Last edited:

Monckey100

Jul 4, 2011
Hi all,

I have a problem i want to solve, i have a small character who's almost ready to be put into my game, here's the difficult part, i wan't this small character to climb a tree, a static mesh, and be able to scurry around it, and possibly even be able to jump from tree to tree.

The character needs to do this to negotiate certain obstacles and avoid enemies, it's quite a crucial mechanic to the game. Though not not forced to have this fully functional, i need to demonstrate some kind of solution that atleast semi-adresses the problem, that would be a big breakthrough.

Basically,

Any ideas or theories on an approach to this would be greatly appreciated, i have the character almost ready, tree meshes modelled, im just not entirely sure how to approach this on the scripting side of things, is this even possible?

Thanks al,

jb

EDIT:- Wrong Topic, reposted in UT3/UDK Coding Section..

I'm a bit new to Unreal Scripting and whatnot, but couldn't you just apply this by placing triggers on the bushes of the trees and if the character is in the radius of the triggers, scurry around?
That would take care of that problem, but I can imagine the excessive triggers would lag it...

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Look at pathnode and subclass you something from there. Create an actor that cause the monkey to pause on that branch, look around, then choose another path. Make a small web of them in your tree. You could even subclass jumpspot and send it from tree to tree. Everything you want to do is addressed in botpathing, you'll just need to massage it a bit to make it specific to your monkey.