Unreal Tournament Combats Disaster

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
University of Illinois Professor Rizwan Uddin and some of his students have been hard at work modifying Unreal Tournament to simulate nuclear plant disasters for use in training for emergency workers and plant employees.
Their first model is the former research reactor on campus, which the UI shut down in the late 1990s and began decommissioning nearly four years ago, as well as a square block around the facility, complete with local buildings, streets and street signs.

"We have it modeled right down to the staircases, doorways," Uddin said recently as students Joel Dixon and Stefano Markidis ran the simulation through its paces on a wall-sized rear-projection screen behind him. "All the rooms match, certainly close enough for training purposes."
The 'game' is currently operable in a multiplayer environment as well, allowing people to train with the simulation via the internet.

Why would they use UT? Why not UE2 or even the newest UE3?

Kinda odd.

And maybe I've watched too many Bond films or something, but I never walk into a place where I don't scope out the place first. I am always aware of my surroundings at all times. I don't see why this "program" of theirs could be usefull. But then again, maybe not everyone is like me, and just aimlessly wanders into a building.

Unknown Target

Jan 22, 2008
Because graphics don't matter that much and UE3 costs millions of dollars? And UE2 costs hundreds of thousands ($350,000 last time I checked).

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
They could easily use the Unreal Engine 2 Runtime for this purpose. The license agreement even says it is meant for non-game projects.

Retodon8

Sheep happens!
Jan 21, 2004
Netherlands
retodon8.net
Either the Redeemer blows up in your face, and you'll simply have to respawn, or, if it's farther away, you'll have to wait a few seconds until the explosion is gone before you can go there.
What's there to train?

Last edited:

ne_skaju

lost and found
Jan 21, 2008
Izvarino
They could easily use the Unreal Engine 2 Runtime for this purpose. The license agreement even says it is meant for non-game projects.

According to that screenshot, its UE2

Code:
His research focuses on more efficient, less expensive and safer nuclear plant design and operation.

It has to be well designed to be more efficient and safer.