UT3 Hang 'em High [beta3]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

_N_

addicted to mapping
May 23, 2008
Canada
Amazing remake! The visuals are spot on and the music is a nice touch. Also, performance is very good (even on a lower-end machine like mine). This was one of my favorite maps from the Halo series, and I was considering making a remake of it myself, but it seems I won't have to bother ;).

The only really issue I found was that it seemed to be scaled a little on the small side. It's definitely smaller than it was in Halo, and in those corridors, for example, there's barely enough room to single-jump let alone double-jump. I understand that this might simply be because of it's use as a deathmatch map. Also, I can't be sure, but it sounds like there might be a glitch in the music. Much of the time it sounds like there's two music tracks playing at the same time over top of each other...

However, given that the original Hang 'em High was a CTF map, I think a CTF or even VCTF version of this map might be something to try out as well (in the case of VCTF, Scavengers would be a good pick, maybe vipers too if you have Avrils in the weapon lockers). For a CTF or VCTF version though, you would probably have to rescale it to be about 40% larger ;).

Overall, amazing job though :D :tup:

Vicious3745

Oct 29, 2008
Amazing remake! The visuals are spot on and the music is a nice touch. Also, performance is very good (even on a lower-end machine like mine). This was one of my favorite maps from the Halo series, and I was considering making a remake of it myself, but it seems I won't have to bother ;).

The only really issue I found was that it seemed to be scaled a little on the small side. It's definitely smaller than it was in Halo, and in those corridors, for example, there's barely enough room to single-jump let alone double-jump. I understand that this might simply be because of it's use as a deathmatch map. Also, I can't be sure, but it sounds like there might be a glitch in the music. Much of the time it sounds like there's two music tracks playing at the same time over top of each other...

However, given that the original Hang 'em High was a CTF map, I think a CTF or even VCTF version of this map might be something to try out as well (in the case of VCTF, Scavengers would be a good pick, maybe vipers too if you have Avrils in the weapon lockers). For a CTF or VCTF version though, you would probably have to rescale it to be about 40% larger ;).

Overall, amazing job though :D :tup:

Well, again, you should keep in mind that Master Chief in Halo only has like, 45 degrees of FOV, so the map seemed fairly large. But Here the map is entirely in proportion, down to the tombstones.. I know it seems small, but if you play it in halo, MC didn't have much jumpspace in those corridors either. The main problem i found with scaling the map up, even by just a little, were that the players suddenly became tiny. Right now i believe their just about the same size as Masterchief was in halo. I've done alot of research and tried to match it to their jumping distances. The only difference is that in UT, you can't pull your legs up at the height of your jump, but you can dodge off a wall or another tombstone to get atop of one.

I do plan on making a Halo3 version of Hang em high with different touches to the layout, like taller cielings and some tombstone additions, such as a controll room and holes in the walls.

Last edited:

Vicious3745

Oct 29, 2008
Nice work with the proportions, must of taken ages to get it right.

Honestly, this map took less than a week to put the geometry together. I spent a week before that figuring out the scale and such, and slowly piecing it together. I got fed up with my mistakes and decided to downloads Halo:Custom Edition. From there i found the Halo Editing kit and managed to export all the geometry for Hang em High in one OBJ file. So i just imported that as a static mesh, scaled it appropriately in Ut3, and began work on, well, pretty much tracing it.

Vicious3745

Oct 29, 2008
So i've decided that HeH is completly finished, and i'm working on a CTF map soon. The final map has some minor changes, i reworked some blocking volumes to keep players from being stuck, and i've also replaced the Shotgun Bunkers with Static Meshes so their bsp wouldn't collide with the player, which was causing him to get caught on their geometry.

Other than that, the CTF map is working, and working well, but the bots are getting stuck in some areas, and simply being STUPID in others. once i finally get a bot to grab a flag and return home in a timely manner i'll post up the final version.

Apr 11, 2006
This is not meant to be a disparagement of your port, but I never understood how a map that looks and plays worse than many mappers' first time efforts could be shipped with a retail game.

Vicious3745

Oct 29, 2008
This is not meant to be a disparagement of your port, but I never understood how a map that looks and plays worse than many mappers' first time efforts could be shipped with a retail game.

You should keep in mind that Halo itself didn't really have an engine. The thing ran just about as raw as an FPS can get. The levels, as well as just about everything, were constructed in 3dstudio max, and then everything was packaged into a *.map. I don't think bungie actually created an editor for whatever engine they were using until Halo2. Which is why there's so much graphical improvement over the two.

Also, how is it that the map plays poorly? I mean if it did, wouldn't it be a lot less popular?