Why is the Stinger Alt-Fire is underrated?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Is the stinger underpowered?

• Yes, it's a terrible weapon and I would never use it.

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • No, it's a perfectly fine method of getting kills.

Votes: 59 81.9%

• Total voters

BobTheBeheader

Aug 31, 2005
Warshington State
I've been hearing alot lately from people who believe that the Stinger's alt-fire is useless. But I think the opposite is true. I've gotten alot more kills with the alt-fire then with the primary. Almost as many as with the Rocket Launcher, in fact, which is arguably the most effective weapon in the game. I've gotten more kills then with the Link Primary, the most similar weapon.

Maybe it's just me, and I have some magical ability with the stinger alt, but I don't think so. I'm a terrible player.

So what's the deal? Why is it underpowered? How?

Last edited:

Sir_Squiggles

Knight of the Wound Table.
Jan 20, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
I didn't know it was underrated. But I can't hit anything with the alt fire unless it's close range XD
I use it for vehicles. Stinger secondary keeps the mantas away easy.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
The stinger does not work very well in DM or CTF. Close quarter maps call for the other spammier weapons. If anything, the secondary is very usefull in tight corridors, even sometimes more effective than the link.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
It might be useful against players that run in a straight line or when 32 'tards are crammed into DM-Sanctuary and getting kills is as simple as pointing spam towards a generally crowded location, but in a face-to-face fight vs. one other person when there's plenty of room odds are you are going down. Given UT3's walk speed and small hitbox, a good strafer isn't one to be hit by the stinger alt very often.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Just use the Stinger's primary fire. Always, to win matches.

Secondary fire may be useful for incoming, large vehicles.

I_LoveToKill

Danish Bastard!
Nov 11, 2001
Denmark
Also, I think many players use the alt a couple times, figures it sucks because they hit nothing trying to use it like a hitscan weapon, and then only use it as a last resort, play a week or more using ONLY alt to learn how to predict with it. A stream of 38 damage pr. hit is not to be trifled with :D

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
oh i'm being shot at by one person with the stinger [& i haven't just spawned] i think i'll turn around & kill them.

oh i'm being shot at by one person with the stinger [& i have just spawned] i think i'll respawn again.

oh i'm being shot at by more than one person with stingers, i think i'll find a different server this one is full of spamming idiots.

pick one.

Last edited:

BeR

May 13, 2005
oh i'm being shot at by one person with the stinger [& i haven't just spawned] i think i'll turn around & kill them.

oh i'm being shot at by one person with the stinger [& i have just spawned] i think i'll respawn again.

oh i'm being shot at by more than one person with stingers, i think i'll find a different server this one is full of spamming idiots.

pick one.

I just got out of a public TDM server where the players on my team were mostly camping at the sniper on Shangrila, and the other team almost always had 2-3 minigunners showing up at the shieldbelt every time. It was &#@*^$ annoying so I chose option 3. :)

WildmouseX

Mar 30, 2004
nuff said

wall35dd9.jpg

wall25sf0.jpg

wall15hg9.jpg