Left 4 Dead

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Another thing they have got to do is either get rid of the idiotic Tank control countdown.

I hate that crap. Last 3 times I've got control of the tank in versus, 1- I lost control of it because I couldn't arrive on time. 2- The other time because they were camping the vent in subway near the starting point. 3- Well, let's say the countdown was OK.

Last edited:

Airmoran

Construct
Nov 9, 2004
I'm hoping they change the burning tank behavior. While setting the tank on fire is certainly a valid tactic (as is avoiding molotovs), the 30 seconds thing feels pretty arbitrary and never fails to confuse newer players. Hell, just an added countdown timer might do the trick, but as it is it feels like you just die randomly.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Versus is so full of itself without friends. Basically out of 2 random games I just played versus friend stacks. That is, friends/clan starting a lobby then set the lobby to public.

First game was kind of okay but we were overwhelmed by a team of no lifes, still okay attitude. Second game, some stupid clanners tagged "ragequit][Yournamehere".

Basically, we were at the end of sewers where you get up the ladder to get in the hospital. I have the tank, Bill throw a Molotov at me, I don't go, but I'm stuck in the small alley, they start to climb up, one guy is left (Zoey) I rush on that guy, get lightened up, walk in the sewer, the fire goes off, then I keep on punching him for at least 6 hit (after downed!) still not dead, then I suddenly die after a few pistol shots, even though the fire got off, and my health bar was nearly full.

The guy didn't leave me for a second, trying to insult me like no tomorrow, "owned owned blah blah you suck dick", "LMAO SOLOED", "you just got served man you must suck at life"

Very rich experience. Versus still suck.
But nonetheless, the improvements were kind of great.

Hah, they were also insulting us when my team tried to break the door, which is now fixed obviously. I had to follow them and then get served because of their miserable attempt at glitching the game.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I have the tank, Bill throw a Molotov at me, I don't go, but I'm stuck in the small alley, they start to climb up, one guy is left (Zoey) I rush on that guy, get lightened up, walk in the sewer, the fire goes off, then I keep on punching him for at least 6 hit (after downed!) still not dead, then I suddenly die after a few pistol shots, even though the fire got off, and my health bar was nearly full.
Going into the water just removes the fire animation. The countdown, however, is still in effect.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm hoping they change the burning tank behavior. While setting the tank on fire is certainly a valid tactic (as is avoiding molotovs), the 30 seconds thing feels pretty arbitrary and never fails to confuse newer players. Hell, just an added countdown timer might do the trick, but as it is it feels like you just die randomly.
Agreed, but really it's only half of the problem :/

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Yeah, the Tank is still weaksauce against T2 weapons. I'd like to see them remove the slowdown when hit - at least in versus. Or at least beef up his hit points just a tad.

I know that a lot of people exploited the Tank by hiding with him, but I'm not sure the changes to the frustration meter were for the best. Perhaps a slower meter depletion?

And he definitely needs a Time to Die countdown when hit with a Molotov. It's really hard to gauge the time you have remaining - because after all... when does the Tank NOT get hit with a Molotov?

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Going into the water just removes the fire animation. The countdown, however, is still in effect.

That's really, really stupid. I would hope that either 1) the fire doesn't go away in water or 2) they let water actually douse the flames timer.

Oh well.

I like how it's easier to pounce as hunter. Makes it less BS

~Jason

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I was hoping for some possible technical fixes to alleviate all the crashes I'm having. Do you think they'll ever fix it?

That could very well be your video drivers at work there. What kind of card do you have? AFAIK the latest nvidia drivers bork L4D hardcore.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Well Versus was fun for a while but most people have already adapted to the new changes. The smoker got a buff, which is good, but the other classes are roughly the same as before. The Tank seems even worse now :/

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Versus is so full of itself without friends. Basically out of 2 random games I just played versus friend stacks. That is, friends/clan starting a lobby then set the lobby to public.

First game was kind of okay but we were overwhelmed by a team of no lifes, still okay attitude. Second game, some stupid clanners tagged "ragequit][Yournamehere".

Basically, we were at the end of sewers where you get up the ladder to get in the hospital. I have the tank, Bill throw a Molotov at me, I don't go, but I'm stuck in the small alley, they start to climb up, one guy is left (Zoey) I rush on that guy, get lightened up, walk in the sewer, the fire goes off, then I keep on punching him for at least 6 hit (after downed!) still not dead, then I suddenly die after a few pistol shots, even though the fire got off, and my health bar was nearly full.

The guy didn't leave me for a second, trying to insult me like no tomorrow, "owned owned blah blah you suck dick", "LMAO SOLOED", "you just got served man you must suck at life"

Very rich experience. Versus still suck.
But nonetheless, the improvements were kind of great.

Hah, they were also insulting us when my team tried to break the door, which is now fixed obviously. I had to follow them and then get served because of their miserable attempt at glitching the game.

I think it complicates problems when it seems like nobody really has a clue what's going on. Even with people that I know, and people that have played the game quite a bit, everyone still makes tons of completely idiotic decisions. It seems like there's always a player that thinks running through the level as quickly as possible all by themselves is a good idea. Of course a hunter will hit them down almost every time. So then the rest of the team has to work their butt off and fix their mess. Once someone saves that player they'll just book it again. I'll save someone, and get taken out by a smoker immediately afterwords and they'll completely ignore me and run away. The entire team gets taken out trying to save that one completely idiotic player.

I know that going through the level fast is a good way to do it. If you do it right the infected can never catch you. However, it doesn't work if you don't stay together. If someone gets hit everyone needs to stop and regroup. If someone gets behind everyone needs to stop and regroup. Otherwise you're just easy pickings.

I also run into a lot of people that think that two is enough cover. It's just too easy for the infected to gang up on you. Two hunters can attack at the same time and you're dead. All four players have to stick together.

I just don't understand why this is so hard for people to understand. The survivors have to stay together period.

Last edited:

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
It seems like there's always a player that thinks running through the level as quickly as possible all by themselves is a good idea. Of course a hunter will hit them down almost every time.

What's worse is if this player actually makes it through to the end without taking a scratch, and doesn't help the guy getting smokered 5 feet behind him. I've had this happen quite a bit lately, and it's difficult to convince these people that we died because of him.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I just don't understand why this is so hard for people to understand. The survivors have to stay together period.

It's hard to explain, but not everyone has the same heartbeat, as in, not everyone plays the same way. There's the experienced players who doesn't waste their time on the normal zombies, rushers, and the players who don't follow what's going on at 100%. I mean, they can take down a Co-op game on expert no prob, they take their time, still know how to deal in tight fights, but they can't always keep the lead with the other players.

Everyone got to stick to the plan.

Yeah, most of the time it isn't even fair to a point, like you mentioned, you heal up one guy, then you're left dead by your team. Happens a lot with the lone wolf idiots who just think about themselves. If the victim player asked the other players to leave him dead then I don't see the problem, but the helping hand should always get what it deserves.

I try not to leave them behind. Some people tend to judge your skills a lot - if they don't like you, they'll leave you dead.

Again, playing with at least one friend is necessary for me here. Example, I had a game with Jes today, t'was most certainly the best Versus games I have ever played. The teams were quite even, and it was plain hard. Lots of fun.

Some concerns for Versus:

• Experienced Clanners/Friends stacking starting a game lobby, then set the game to public, makes the game completely unfair and unbalanced - Solution: Create a completely random matchmaking system with friend invites/joining disabled with a ranking system so you play with/against people your skill?
  • Friend invites made hard like hell in Versus, you got to be very lucky, join a lobby then immediately invite a friend hopping he'll get on time. It's annoying. If you invite a friend in a lobby you just created, then set the game to public, you'll get wind. - Solution: Have a small pre-lobby, invite your friend(s) and join as one?

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I've found that in versus when not playing with friends that talking a lot tends to make things gel. Some games there's rarely any communication as people realize that if you stick together as much as possible, you'll do well, but in some games you always get the idiots that run off by themselves. And I don't mean 15 feet ahead, I mean like TWD said and booking it. Generally though, if you keep talking and telling them to get their asses back with the group, they tend to listen, which is good, though they need lots of reminders.

On the flip side, there's nothing like having a hunter when some idiot decides he's going back to the safehouse for ammo when his group is 100+ feet away.

~Jason