Official UT3 complaint thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UT3 now or waited?

• Glad it is out now, i cant wait.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • Wish they would have waited.

Votes: 85 61.6%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 24 17.4%

• Total voters

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
huh? I use the official boards

people have opinions

why don't you grow up and learn to respect the rights for others to have opinions OH WAIT if it's not brown nosing it's trolling yep i get it yep gotta have disneyworld friendship circle now yep

Um, his guy left a fairly sizeable trail of troll threads over at the official boards (I go there, too) before he disappeared, and he also dropped into a few other threads just to call random people fanbois, so, I know what I'm talking about here.
I'm also referring to the plenty of times we've had people copy threads that got deleted from the official boards, over here, sayning things like, "I don't know why they banned me, all I did was say their game was a piece of s***..."

Why don't you respect my opinion, eh? Oh, I'm sorry, I'm not allowed to like and defend things, and I'm not allowed to say what I think about someone else, especially when it's based on experience.

I should say, though, that aside from pieces of crap like this guy, the official baoads have actually gotten over most of their masturbatory b***ing and have started to become productive. I can only hope BU follows suit, which is part of why I'm being so harsh on this trash when I see it.
A community can deal with problems two ways, we can sit around like little 4th graders and whine and cry about it, or we can accept the problems and see what we can do about them. A true community exists for the sake of the game, not the sake of their own egos. Creating a thread simply to point out that the game has apparently FAILED is utterly self-serving and in no way at all benefits the game. Do you understand now why this refuse p***es me off so much?

"You wave it like a flag, you wear it like a crown, got your mind in the gutter bringing everybody down.
You bitch about the present, and blame it on the past, I'd like to find your inner child and kick his little ass!"

Last edited:

MrMan

Jan 19, 2008
huh? I use the official boards

people have opinions

why don't you grow up and learn to respect the rights for others to have opinions OH WAIT if it's not brown nosing it's trolling yep i get it yep gotta have disneyworld friendship circle now yep

IMHO Because they have the "GOD SYNDROME!" it's their forums they can delete, lock and or ban anyone they want. They feel that if you dont dont like TOO BAD. Well being a customer service rep for 10 years if I were to treat customers like Epic does us ( The UT Community ) I would have been fired from my company a long time ago. :lol:

Last edited:

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Hmm, I pretty sure it has a reason.
I agree that this game was aimed mainly at consoles, but who the hell didn't see that one coming? A freaking lame-ass console FPS game like Halo 3 (with some admittely nice features like forge) was coined "Entertainment phenomena of the year". Console players are often less experienced: they are typically younger and as such haven't gamed as much and haven't experienced the golden years of gaming. Also, a lot of them think that PC gaming is for nerds, and so are forums/the internet aside from myspace and youtube. As a result, they don't hear much of the news that is floating around in the tubes and are very easy to please, as long as game is "hip".
(Speaking about console gamers in general, there are a lot of awesome guys/girls out there)
Game Developing = Business.
Goal of a business = Making money.
Target audience = People giving you said money.
Relatively small, hard to please target audience < Huge, somewhat retarded target audience.
-> Game developers choose huge, somewhat retarded target audience = Easy money.
UT3 = console game

It's as simple as that, and anyone with the ability to use logic could have seen it coming.

That aside, my main point here is damage control.
And for that...

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
And if you treated anyone with the kind of s*** people fling at Epic in the UT community (both here and over there) in any context other than message boards, you'd get blown off and promptly ignored.
Oh wait, that's what's happening...

Why does professionalism get thrown out the f***ing window as soon as people hop on a web forum?

And what b*** thread would be complete without its fair share of PC elitism?

Last edited:

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
..I'm deliberately going to double post, because when people read the first part of my reply, they're going to skip the rest in order to post about random guy X to prove that console gamers are (not) lame.

As annoying as it might be that Epic will not reply to complaints while we have supported them for a long time, I do think it's the best way to go right now.

As an example I will use Battlefield 2/2142. DICE is infamous for overly nerfing every single item in their game because uberPr0 clan X complains about it for a while, then completely reversing their course of action because clan Y start complaining, and after that the general public starts complaining about baserape or overpowered weapons or w/e.
After about 8 patches, this resulted in a very odd game balancing in BF2. This was continued in BF2142 where any kind of skills were prohibited by severly dumbed-down game mechanics. Camping with a sniper and spamming claymores everywhere was the ultimate strategy because there was no possible way of outmaneuvering or outwitting them anymore.

My point is: The public is not always the best source of information about your game. The people at Epic have been making games for decades. They've studied game mechanics in-depth for years. They've been working on this game for years as well. If anyone knows what needs to happen to their game, it's them.
We've been playing games for decades. Not developing them.

Again, an example from BF2. At first, the blackhawk helicopter was a really valuable asset to your team. It did considerable damage, and could take a blow. As such, it was awesome for transporting squads across the map.
People just couldn't get it into their heads that MAYBE they should start using the anti-air, and that was the beginning of a vicious anti-blackhawk campaign.
DICE caved in. They reduced turret damage, and gave it less HP.
Admittely, the blackhawk was now easier to take down, and you didn't die on sight of it. However, a nasty side effect was that it was now TOO easy to take down, and it not having any weapons beside anti-infantry turrets made it jet- and attack heli fragbait, as well as pretty vulnerable to HUMVEE turrets and APC cannons.
Result: noone used blackhawk anymore. It's suicide.
BF2 had now turned into an infantry only game for the most part, with the addition of tanks and jeeps. Aerial transport was now non-existent.
*Map dynamics takes a critical hit: map flow -500, linearity +20*

While there is of course a difference between the dude playing BF2 with shotguns only once a month and then complaining about snipers and people who are very skilled at UT games that tend to hang around here, we might not be a very reliable source of feedback for Epic.
How are they going to differentiate between someone who sucks with the shock rifle and thinks it should be nerfed because they hate being beaten with it, and someone who has real, valid complaints?
Add to that that most people are sheep and will blindly repeat the opinions of others, and you can see why having multiple flame threads about the same subject in one forum is bad.

Most likely, Epic knows what needs to be fixed. They've been playing this game for a long time before it was released. They know every nuance, every slight difference between versions, etc.
They released too early. They must have had a very good reason.
Maybe it was a bad decision. I think it was. Too much competition in your genre + unfinished release is mostly bad.
But does that mean that Epic think we are retarded for stating our opinions about this game, or do they think that their game is perfect?

I don't think they do.

--
One of our largest complaints is the small playerbase
Is having thread after thread after thread of flaming the game about issues Epic is already aware of really going to help that?
No. It's going to make the playerbase smaller if anything.

My final point:
If we want this game to be a success, we need to STFU.
Every complaint has already been stated ad nauseam. Every rant has already been ranted. Keep this up, and whatever they do, Epic's efforts to save this game will fail.

In the case that they actually do not do any damn thing about the game and leave it the way it is, well .. that would suck.
However, would it get us our money back if we complained about it 24/7?
It wouldn't. It would cost Epic all 580(;)) of us as loyal customers and most of it's modding community, so I don't think they're going to opt for that.

Give it time, ignore Epic's stance on the forums and accept it as a necessary evil, play the game, or if the menu layout really bugs you that much get CoD4, TF2 or keep playing UT2k4.

All I can say about this....

MrMan

Jan 19, 2008
IMHO...........

IMHO I feel UT3 is going to fail and I will tell you why

Point #1. Lack of users playing online here is proof ( U.S. Only )
http://www.game-monitor.com/search.php?game=ut3&country=US

As you can see there are not that many people playing the game online which brings me another point.........

Point #2.

I am seeing the same exact same thing hap'nin to UT3 as what happend to Tribes Vengeance. Lack of players, Coding changes that make it difficult to make mods. UT3 Example: MapMixer
http://mapmixer.oceaniaut.com/

The same thing happend to Tribes Vengeance. The name of the company responsable for Tribes Vengeance failure is Vivendi. They changed the engine that the Tribes community was using to UT2 and every thing was changed and moders could not make their script changes. It was just to hard to learn or could not get any support from
directly from Vivendi.

Tribes Vegeance failed because of the lack of support from Vivendi, they left out all the great things that made Tribes and Tribes2 to so popular. ( sound familiar? ) They only had 1 patch that was it. The last patch that was released for UT3 was on December 10, 2007. Epic has refused to reply to any tech support questions for UT3. When people have posted and asked when an approx. date for patch #2 is going to to released the post has been deleted and in some cases the user has been baned for and I Quote " Trolling ".

The way Epic treats the UT community is very unprofessional. Deleting posts about opinoins and or suggestions with out any explanations what so ever.

So as you can see alot of what has happend to Tribes Vegeance is happening to UT3 at this very moment. Its sad because I like UT3. Hell, I even spent $300 for a UT3 Gaming Server to support UT3 but if the lack of support from Epic and the lack of users playing online continue the same path as Tribes Vegeance, I to will be just one less person supporting a dead horse.

Last edited:

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Yes, but you could have known that it was this kind of thread.
All threads on these boards are, unless explicitly stated not so in the title.

Mr. UglyPants

2007 never existed, it was all a dream.
Aug 22, 2005
Canada... eh
Do we really need to start up the whole 'UT3 will fail' thing again? Its a new year, heck seems we lost a year, so lets just put it behind us and just ENJOY UT3! OMG that is such an amazing idea!

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Also, I wouldn't use game-monitor as the source of information like this. They only list stats for servers that are registered with them, so their numbers are likely to be even less than the gamespy numbers. Honestly, there is no reason to overexaggerate how bad the palyer number situation is right now. It's bad enough without doing that.

Coffin_Dancer

Jan 20, 2008
LOL i'd like to "whine" about the official UT3 forums...

threads are being closed faster than folks can respond to them!! :)

a request to Epic for an update on news about any patch progress was just referred to another thread listing patch "requests", then closed?

even *constructive* criticism / requests for info are being locked down / removed.

whyth are they SO afraid to give out any info?
imho this is just putting more and more people off about the game.

i convinced one friend to get the game - he played it a bit, then offered the follwing observation:

"Epic obviously doesn't care about the online gaming family", and is waiting for the next patch to get back into the game.

a number of folks in the 2 gaming clans / organizations to which i belong are feeling the same way - waiting for a patch - so why the need to be so closed-mouthed about info? :-(

but at least it's a beautiful day here in Philly!! :)

thanks,
CD

h.pocus

Jan 20, 2008
Also, I wouldn't use game-monitor as the source of information like this. They only list stats for servers that are registered with them, so their numbers are likely to be even less than the gamespy numbers. Honestly, there is no reason to overexaggerate how bad the palyer number situation is right now. It's bad enough without doing that.

Are you just talking out of your arse or what? where would you hear something like that?

h.pocus

Jan 20, 2008
lmao, they dont care bc they are still counting all the money 2k games made them off bioshock. why make a good game that works when you can have someone else do it for you.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I guess they got an update.

I didn't hear it anywhere, I tried to use it a couple weeks after UT3 came out and you had to add your server to it in order for it to be able to see it.