New BU Poll! The UT3 UI

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Centurion

RAGGAMUFFIN
Jan 30, 2008
It's an start to get people joining, but there is more to it. There are complete lists about what to update. Get to work.

Grasshopper

Jan 21, 2008
Upstate NY
The UI and the server/browser options is a disaster :mad:

I just wonder how Epic could go so wrong, when they already had the right layout with UT2004?

It's sad to see, that this otherwise great game was killed by Epic by releasing it to early.

I'll have to go along with this. The visuals and gameplay are good. The bot AI is nowhere near the early promises. The UI is an anchor and the map loading behind it drags it down further. The server browser is atrocious, but, I suspect we are stuck with the Gamespy thing because of a contract. If Epic had listened to feedback from players about the demo, they could have released the game "when it's done" instead of rushing it out for the holiday season. It was a vast project with half-vast management.

FlashIV

King of the Impossible
Oct 30, 2005
Illi-noise
Cumbersome? Yes. Showstopper? Not really.

I've mentioned it to a few people, but the reason UT3 has started to collect dust on my HDD is because of how poorly it performs on my system.

Apathy

The original
Apr 16, 2004
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
The UT3 demo runs fine on my quad core sli system however the only thing stopping me from purchasing the full game is not the UI but rather the gamespy integration, I will never spend one dime on a game that locks your username/email to an account, unable to change your player name when playing online, no way, I'm not getting stuck with some hoaky name to play under online.
The UI is tolerable at best and could use a lot of improvement.

RennyManJr

Hater in Rehab
Jan 20, 2008
Modena, Italy
www.runesofwar.net
The server browser IS a part of the UI. :lol:
I know, my english is not so good ;) what i was trying to say is that the server browser seems to me the most broken and unfinished part of the menu and i would like to see Epic finally getting serious in improving it instead of focusing to other part of the ui that people usually use once or twice in a month.

Just take a look at it after 2 patches. We have an history function that tends to forget servers (and usually don't list the last one), we can't open an IP adress unless we use the console, we can't add a favorite using the IP adress, we can't see who's playing in a server (thankfully seems like this will be added with the next patch), we only have 3 filtering options, sometimes the game freezes for 30-40 seconds when you refresh the browser... and all this from an online fps where you're supposed to use the server browser 80% of the time you fire up the game.

Like the lack of 3 more crazy Necris vehicles and Malcolm as a playable character please \o/
hem... not really :lol:

Last edited:

Retodon8

Sheep happens!
Jan 21, 2004
Netherlands
retodon8.net
There's a setting for no auto taunt but it apparently doesn't work.

It seems to work for me, I never taunt automatically.

I just wonder how Epic could go so wrong, when they already had the right layout with UT2004?

Maybe more of a rethorical question, but...
It's simple, that interface, even if it works in UT2004, would still have to be adapted to UT3, meaning extra work.
UT3 is multi-platform, so its interface should work with PS3 and Xbox 360 controllers, so why not just use the same interface for the PC version and save some time/money?
That definitely is a rethorical question, it's normally good business sense to save money. :)

A shame though, I would've like a more Windows-like interface myself.

Lethargy

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
Feb 24, 2006
The bad/good UI makes me think of people who play games for the graphics. Both are skin deep, it's all about the gameplay.
I usually agree with you Def, but on this one I'm wholly in the other camp. My gripe isn't with the appearance of the UI, but its functionality. The UT3 UI simply (at the moment) lacks features that are required for a smooth and convenient experience over the long term (and in some cases the short term), as far as I'm concerned anyway. I couldn't care less how the UI looks if it works well and has all the features required for convenient and highly functional usage.

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
well the UI doesnt keep me from playing and i prob couldnt play more than i do now...

BUT

i would be ALOT happier when i played and not frustrated with the lack of options and sucky UI and broken browser if they were updated and fixed and polished alot more...

and i bet that if a new version of UT3 was released with all this stuff fixed it would attract more players. because the level of tolerance for stuff that sucks or is broken, even in a good game, is low with ppl that arent fanatics like me. (translation if this was another game broken and unpolished like this itd be in my closet instead of on my harddrive).

Last edited:

TAZTG

Your face, Your ass-Whats the Difference
Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
Better anything is always good. Not sure if it will make most folks play more. There are alot of reasons why folks aren't playing.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
UT3.5... splitting the community since UT2004, YEAH BABY!

coming soon, UT4.1, because we already know UT4 will suck balls.
After seeing this I began to wonder.... did UT2004 really split the UT200X crowd? I think only about 20 people stayed behind, and it was the IG BR clans...

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
What UI???

To be honest, I'm to the point now where I click the same buttons every time to get to where I want to go. I'm in the UI for 10-15 seconds at most.

We don't need no stinkin' UI!!! :p

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Yes, yes it would, as an offline player, the lack of instant action options, especially when it comes to bots, is simply not good enough, alot of the stuff i used to do, that i had years of fun with in past UT's, is just not there, and it means i choose to play UT2004 or something else instead.

Also, and lets be honest here, most of us have a bunch of good games we like installed on our systems at any one time, and the more annoying and problematic a game, or part of it, is to play or work with, the more likely we will choose to launch a different game instead, especially if you just want a quick casual play after a hard day, you do not want to mess around with such things, you just want to get in there and enjoy yourself, and this definately means that a bad UI will make you play it less, as you put it aside for when you have the patience to put up with its annoyances.

But the real kicker for me is the lacking options, sure the interface is annoying and slow, and the game wont remember anything i tell it from one launch to the next, thease things do bother me a bit, and they do make me play a bit less when i am in casual mode, but it is the missing and broken things that really ruins UT3 for me, because thease things ARE gameplay, they DO matter even after i have left the UI and find myself ingame, and they dictate with whom i play, and how.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I don't care much, but I do see the complaints of the offline players as quite valid.