Frontpage Reboot!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ChromeBallz

Ballz of Chrome
Aug 10, 2004
chromeballz.fluxxnet.nl
To be frank - The BeyondUnreal frontpage looks like it belongs in the late 90's. It hasn't been updated for a while either.

Both are, however, understandable. The site has been in a bit of a slump, or so it seems, as mapping for UE games has slowed down quite a bit and more recent games don't even offer the option for the most part.

But, on the flipside, i'd take this as a chance to reinvent the site, and the community. UE4 will be released late 2013/2014 (in the form of Fortnite), with a successor to the UE3 UDK following soon - I would think. This would probably be an excellent time for BeyondUnreal to get a reboot in the form of a new front page, putting the emphasis a bit more on the UDK rather than the UT games (though they remain an important part of the picture obviously).

As far as i can tell, there's no real community around the UDK outside of the Epic forums, this is a niche BeyondUnreal could fill rather handsomely. Combining the focus on UDK with the wealth of information and community of and around other UE titles (from Unreal to Fortnite) could make for a pretty interesting place to hang out in.

Any thoughts?

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Regarding switching to UDK, the main issue here is, as you pointed out, that Epic forums are the core of UDK community, with wealth of information and lots of active members. UDK page links there, the forums there are great, thanks to good community management on part of Epic, and engine developers sometimes answer the questions. To make UDK community shift to BuF we need to offer something better, but that's not really possible.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
WE don't have to bring the community here, but we can make this a good community site. Even though we got sniped by the people we support, we could offer something they don't offer and that is UDK project focus. They only tend to focus on 1-2 projects a month but there are dozens more than that.

That being said, I don't know what the future of the site is right now. I'm playing too much Borderlands 2 to even write a review of the game. hal and I have a lot to talk about, and there are other people we want to involve, too. I think a site redesign is in the cards, I just don't know what the site is about once that is done.

ChromeBallz

Ballz of Chrome
Aug 10, 2004
chromeballz.fluxxnet.nl
Well, depending on what Epic does, i can see "some" Unreal title coming with UE4. If they're smart and make a proper PC version it could mean a decent resurgence of Unreal modding and a good hook for the site.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Delete the front page and everything else and have it redirect to the forum index. (leave links at the top to liandri and unrealed and maybe a link that lists other hosted sites, but that's about it)
Rename News and Articles to UDK News and Articles and open it up to everyone.

:|

Last edited:

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
That being said, I don't know what the future of the site is right now. I'm playing too much Borderlands 2 to even write a review of the game.

This.

People aren't playing Unreal games that much and Epic has killed that franchise.

What people are doing is playing games built on the Unreal engine. The future of the site (at least front page news) seems to be about what the Unreal engine is doing.

If gamers want to get information, or files, for Unreal and Unreal Tournament games they need to get into the site and forums. As a resource for the Unreal franchise games I think this is one of the few places left to start exploring; particularly if you are new to the franchise (although after so long it's hard to think anyone would be now just discovering Unreal and UT).

Unreal and UT need this site. Epic forums are basically totally wasted now when it comes to the franchise. For anyone who has been playing the franchise from the beginning BU is a thumbs up to some of the greatest games ever made (rather than, hopefully, a memorial).

I personally can't see the front page being much more than that and as a place to redirect interested gamers to the files and maps.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
The thing is that there are sites (ut99.org, Oldunreal etc.) that now have majority of people who still play classic Unreal games and community is focused around that. Unless Epic decides through some miracle to announce new Unreal title I don't see much going on here.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
While we're talking about the site, what happened to Fileworks? It's been completely wiped off the map, more or less.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
That being said, I don't know what the future of the site is right now. I'm playing too much Borderlands 2 to even write a review of the game. hal and I have a lot to talk about, and there are other people we want to involve, too. I think a site redesign is in the cards, I just don't know what the site is about once that is done.
ha, I was asking hal when we would finally have a review up for bl2 and that's what he said. I told him I was going to start my review and I did, I honestly got a few words in then I started up bl2. ;(